Sad sight...

HUC 981

We've got one up the field as a spares donor for our timber tractor although fortunately whenever we have needed bigger items they have been sourced separately so this one is still largely complete and was still a runner when we last moved it about 18months ago! Even stuck an old sheet over it to preserve it a bit.

20160207_150734.jpg

I had a book 20 years ago called something like "round wood" and there were many photo's of Mat's with cabs in shreds still being used, front wheels up hauling timber, I wonder how many still survive.

By the by, is that a Dennis pax in the background of your picture?

We've got one up the field as a spares donor for our timber tractor although fortunately whenever we have needed bigger items they have been sourced separately so this one is still largely complete and was still a runner when we last moved it about 18months ago! Even stuck an old sheet over it to preserve it a bit.
I know of several Matadors that went for scrap in the last 25 years! The owners simply refused to sell them for restoration!

At least now I know of 3 that will NEVER be scrapped...:D

I know of several Matadors that went for scrap in the last 25 years! The owners simply refused to sell them for restoration!

At least now I know of 3 that will NEVER be scrapped...:D

That is a mind-set I confess I will never,ever, understand. Invariably someone wanting to buy to restore will pay either the same or, more likely, more than the scrap value so by refusing to sell to a restorer the owner is cutting off their nose to spite their face. Hardly good business sense.

You see it all too often in the classic car scene too - vehicles left to rot for years, the owners saying I'll do it one day - then it goes for scrap despite multiple offers to buy it to save it.

What the owner is implying is that there is hidden value , otherwise you and others would not be enquiring about purchase. That being the case then I want a share of that vale to be released at some time in the future because I don't sell at undervalue. This is common on land sales near villages where land is sold at "agricultural" fee simple BUT if at a later date years down the road that same land is sold for housing due to planning permissions being obtained - then he (more probably his offspring) receives a top $ cut.

Of course depending on the vehicle , work done etc. - there may be a profit , of course if some jobs sent out (shot-blasting / painting/ engine reconditioning - somebody does get a profit). THe fact that most projects done fully "in-house" , there is not a profit , if there is then it is inflation paper - does not enter in the negotiations .

Edited by ruxy
spelin

Sad sight it may be, but realistically you can't save them all, some just seem destined to become spares donors.

I can see plenty of useful parts left on that motor including wheel rims, front axle (even if the diff has been had already), Front springs, There'll be somebody somewhere desperately trying to find a set of fairlead rollers for his wagon and there they are waiting to be salvaged on the front of this one.

Cutting up just for scrap value is a bad thing. donating parts so another can live on is a noble end for an old wagon

Sad sight it may be, but realistically you can't save them all, some just seem destined to become spares donors.

I can see plenty of useful parts left on that motor including wheel rims, front axle (even if the diff has been had already), Front springs, There'll be somebody somewhere desperately trying to find a set of fairlead rollers for his wagon and there they are waiting to be salvaged on the front of this one.

Cutting up just for scrap value is a bad thing. donating parts so another can live on is a noble end for an old wagon

I agree totally, there are loads of serviceable bits on this old Matador, thankfully the owner is keeping her for spares in case his "good" Matador gets ill...On another note I tried for years to buy a derelict Track Marshall 55 dozer off a local farmer for TWICE the scrap value but he insisted he was intending to "use" it despite the fact an Ash tree had sprouted between front blade and radiator! It eventually went to the scrapyard...

I really don't know why this attitude persists but ...I have several theories .....

One seems to be bordering on almost 'jealousy' that you may , just may... turn their pile of scrap into a gorgeous and valuable vehicle and they either can't be bothered to do it themselves or lack the money or ability how to.

Another which is just as bad is when you are trying to buy something off them of....

"I saw one of those at an auction last year and it sold for £20.000 !"

But..... they always seem to ignore the obvious fact that the one they saw had been restored or at least didn't have a cab in pieces on the floor and a tree growing through the chassis....

With the old vehicles I've owned over the years I'm always 'amazed' at the number of folk who will come up to you at a show or wherever they see it to specifically tell you,

" I cut 2 up just like last year!" .........

that particular one always baffles me because it's as though they're proud of having destroyed something!

Ah well ....like someone said above .........you can't save them all :)

I really don't know why this attitude persists but ...I have several theories .....

One seems to be bordering on almost 'jealousy' that you may , just may... turn their pile of scrap into a gorgeous and valuable vehicle and they either can't be bothered to do it themselves or lack the money or ability how to.

Another which is just as bad is when you are trying to buy something off them of....

"I saw one of those at an auction last year and it sold for £20.000 !"

But..... they always seem to ignore the obvious fact that the one they saw had been restored or at least didn't have a cab in pieces on the floor and a tree growing through the chassis....

With the old vehicles I've owned over the years I'm always 'amazed' at the number of folk who will come up to you at a show or wherever they see it to specifically tell you,

" I cut 2 up just like last year!" .........

that particular one always baffles me because it's as though they're proud of having destroyed something!

Ah well ....like someone said above .........you can't save them all :)

I totally agree, your theories are spot on. I display vintage chainsaws and outboard motors at rallies all over Ireland and you would hardly believe some of the tales I've heard concerning old wagons being scrapped rather than sold for preservation, even when the scrap value was less than half of what they were offered by the poor sod trying to save the wagon!:blush:(Me...)The last 3 years really hit hard here with the scrap prices sky high, thankfully they are really low now!:D

Def agree....the worst I 've ever encountered was a very tidy Series One Landrover in a local garage that had been used as a little tow truck for many years before being dumped in their back yard. I must have gone in there a dozen times over the years and asked about it over and over....... only to be continually told

"No!! it's not for sale"

I'd always say the same thing

"well.....here's my number please don't forget to ring me if you do decide to sell it one day !"

I left them with very fair offers in cash many of the times that I dropped by ....always polite too.....about 15 years ago the garage was sold up for demolition and development for few houses and on hearing they'd closed and were clearing the yard etc I hot footed it up there.......too late...The fella that owned it actually said

"oh that old thing went to the scrapyard weeks ago......you should have come by if you wanted it ! We can't keep everything just in case somebody wants it you know ! "

At that point my previous politeness very nearly deserted me :(

Against that I should say I have had some small chunks of luck over the years. I acquired a wonderful and pretty much complete BSA Bantam in a load of scrap that I was picking up ......the fella said

" here! chuck this on your truck whilst you're here !"

I didn't argue with him :):):)

Def agree....the worst I 've ever encountered was a very tidy Series One Landrover in a local garage that had been used as a little tow truck for many years before being dumped in their back yard. I must have gone in there a dozen times over the years and asked about it over and over....... only to be continually told

"No!! it's not for sale"

I'd always say the same thing

"well.....here's my number please don't forget to ring me if you do decide to sell it one day !"

I left them with very fair offers in cash many of the times that I dropped by ....always polite too.....about 15 years ago the garage was sold up for demolition and development for few houses and on hearing they'd closed and were clearing the yard etc I hot footed it up there.......too late...The fella that owned it actually said

"oh that old thing went to the scrapyard weeks ago......you should have come by if you wanted it ! We can't keep everything just in case somebody wants it you know ! "

At that point my previous politeness very nearly deserted me :(

Against that I should say I have had some small chunks of luck over the years. I acquired a wonderful and pretty much complete BSA Bantam in a load of scrap that I was picking up ......the fella said

" here! chuck this on your truck whilst you're here !"

I didn't argue with him :):):)

Be careful though or you will end up with sheds full of scrapyard rescues like I have haha

Be careful though or you will end up with sheds full of scrapyard rescues like I have haha
What do you mean WILL end up with sheds full?:blush: I have a hayshed, a Nissen hut and various small sheds full of stationary engines, tractors, boats and "useful things...":D

What do you mean WILL end up with sheds full?:blush: I have a hayshed, a Nissen hut and various small sheds full of stationary engines, tractors, boats and "useful things...":D

Oh dear same here! 90ft long nissen hut with 20ft side extensions + dutch barns, ex pig sheds, roofed containers etc etc haha this could become a thread of "My shed's bigger is than your shed" lets not go there !:D mine are all full of "useful things too" i mentioned in another thread once that we need some sort of therapy. But even if we don't get round to restoring these little gems, because we get old and die first, they have been saved for the future, and hopefully someone else will take them on.

Oh dear same here! 90ft long nissen hut with 20ft side extensions + dutch barns, ex pig sheds, roofed containers etc etc haha this could become a thread of "My shed's bigger is than your shed" lets not go there !:D mine are all full of "useful things too" i mentioned in another thread once that we need some sort of therapy. But even if we don't get round to restoring these little gems, because we get old and die first, they have been saved for the future, and hopefully someone else will take them on.

Bravo! The fact that we can save some old wagons and other machines from the past is really an attempt to cling onto the "good old days" when the sun always shone, you could hear birdsong, flaxen haired maidens walked down country lanes :Dand sooner or later you would hear an AEC or Bedford or Austin...aw, take me back...:cry: Oh, plus the fact that they look and sound fabulous compared to the whispering junk that parades our streets nowadays!:D

I wonder what happened to all those flaxen-haired maidens we left in the lane as we left in pursuit of the AEC, Bedford or Austin....

trevor

Ha, the weary ploughmen with their flagons of cider got them in the long grass...:D