Military Vehicle register section

tyler

I agree as it would help owners of the same type of vehicle know who has what and contact each other.maybe split it into sub sections of WW2 and post war? Jack what do you think?

Matt.

On the other hand you could end up with too many sections to trawl through.

At present when someone comes on with a problem they have with their vehicle, anybody who thinks they can help will pop up irrespective of current vehicle ownership. eg I have never owned a Ferret but have helped Ferret owners because I have experience with the same engine or I have poked my nose in about Carawagons, I don't own one but used to.

None of these things would be evident from a list of vehicles currently owned.

The other thing is if someone had a particular problem the idea as I see it is to target that one person for help. The problem is that, as it is I get a large amount of genuine well meaning mail, asking for help this sometimes takes hours each day to sort out. Not always easy at the end of an exhausting day.

On occasions I can't attend to it for a few days. Whereas the present general appeal for help catches a wider audience & it will still reach the person who may know a thing or to because they own the vehicle. I quite enjoy seeing a diagnosis & treatment plan unfurl as enthusiasts try to help each other.

Sometimes it starts public then people go off & continue with private emails. I try to keep it public because there may be others "following the story" who may just be interested or picking up tips to avoid the same problems.

So sorry I don't want that to sound grumpy but if you're not careful it could swamp an individual & then put them off helping at all if the get snowed under. So I think keep it public & as wide an audience as possible.

I see where you are coming from Clive but I think that Tyler means something like this...............

Who own's a GMC

Jack

Karoshi

Degsy

Matt

Oddball.........keep dreaming Oddball :wink:

Etc etc

Who Owns a ferret

Who owns a LR

And people would just simply list what they have, nothing else. It would be good to know who has what........or have I got it wrong :oops:

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. I agree that would give an overview of who's got what for general interest. I construed it was to be used for then contacting an individual for help. Being a bit touchy I suppose but I get lots of emails & phone calls which is about all I can cater for at the moment. But perhaps I will feel less paranoid when I have come back from seeing Wallace & Grommet tonight.

BTW did you get Tabby article no3, although it is only the 2nd one I have sent you (confusing as Tabby no.2 is still being worked on)

Jack, yes thats exactly what i ment, you got it spot on, i just think it

would encorrage more people onto the site, as some people may

mistakenly think "historic oh thatal be ww2 stuff then", so it'll just

show how broad a range of MVs the site covers, and more members

can only be benifical to the site and hobby.

I thought this was a request for a vehicle listing? Having said that, I prefer Wallace and Gromit to typing lists but here goes:

1940 Scout carrier,

1943 Dingo,

1943 Valentine IXDD tank,

1952 Saracen MK1 APC,

1955 Humber Pig Mk 2/3,

1956 Ferret Mk 2,

1957 Saracen Mk 5 ambulance,

1959 Saladin,

1960 Bedford RL light recovery,

1967 FV438,

Had to guess/try to remember the dates as I am not near my records but they are something like correct. Carrier and RL are pretty ruinous but the rest are at least runners, some are quite good, although most need new paint!

These are mine:

1953 FV1601B Humber 1-Ton GS Truck

1957 Trailer, Cypher Office, Light, 1-Ton, Signals 2-Wh

1956 FV1609A Pig prototype (I believe oldest Pig in world)

1958 FV1612A Mk1 Pig (there were no Pigs prior to 1958 other than FV1609)

1962 FV2505G Trailer, Cabin, Simulator, Radar Target, No.2 Mk1 (Yellow River?)

1963 FV1620 Hornet/Malkara Missile Launcher

1965 Shorland Armoured Patrol Car Mk1 (only one of two HMG owned that survive)

1968 Shorts SB301 Armoured Personnel Vehicle prototype

1997 Truck Ultility Light (High Specification) = Wolf Land Rover

Richard

Your Dingo whats it's mil reg? I am always looking to see if I can come across any exRUC ones, they had at least 35. I know where 14 of them are, rotting away unfortunately.

Went to the group of 5 military museums at Winchester on friday. (That was treat No.1, W&G was No.2) They have got a Daimler Armoured Car parked out side. The reg is CC which doesn't seem right that's more of a Ferret grouping, I would expect something like a ZR. I did say but they just looked blank:(

Richard

Your Dingo whats it's mil reg? I am always looking to see if I can come across any exRUC ones, they had at least 35. I know where 14 of them are, rotting away unfortunately.

(

Clive,

I do not know the post war census number, only the original one. It takes a lot of searching to find it as the records are listed with the postwar numbers in order, will have to spend a day at Bovvy to find it. It is doubtful that mine was an RUC one as it was found to have several sets of RAC signs and the original set which was Royal Engineers.

The ones you speak off were once in Lindsay Burneys yard in NI, I know of several people who have bought some of them, as you say there is a large cache of them now owned by a gentleman in NI, who appears not to want to part with them.

I would put a DAC on a ZR registration, CC sounds more like a Saladin.

Richard

Here's my list!

1942 GMC CCKW with LeRoi compressor.

1942 Dodge WC-56 Command Car,1229th QM-467th BG.

1943 Dodge WC-52 Weapons Carrier,854th BS,491st BG.

1944? Cletrac MG-2 High Speed Tractor.

Matt.

If anyone interested here is my little list:-

85KA19 lightweight

39KC08 sankey trailer

27FH16 sankey (fish fryer type)

10EA15 fv432 mk2

In addition to this military selection:-

Landrover Discovery Van (Used to have a cavalier but it didn't like having a toolbox, 2 truck batteries and bits of 432 chucked in the boot)

LeylandDaf 95 Tractor Unit

Andover Stepframe lowloader

All this for a so called hobby. Fishing or playing golf is surely easier?

Dougy

Mine are as follows

73FL74 101 GS. Don't know full history but ended up with 201 Battery (Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire Yeomanry) 100 Regt RA(V) as a light gun tractor. Met several from the unit who remember it, mainly as being unreliable :shock: Had it for 6 years, bought off Kent Scouts who used uit as a paragliding tug :roll:

1984 110 2.5NA . Built as a military demonstrator and registered to Land Rover. Looks civvy, but left factory bronze green/limestone & soft top, 12/24V and clansman set up, roll bar, military chassis no but no jerry can lockers. Then bought by BAe as a Rapier development vehicle, later used as a yard tug. Shows four changes of owner in that time from company name changes!

1 Tonne rapier reload trailer. No details, bought it 2 months ago, not collected it yet!

Usually tow the group's Rapier Blindfire tracker trailer on loan from BAe.