loyd carrier mk 1

Rms Leyland Hippo

Hi I wonder if any body can help? im thinking of getting a loyd carrier which is on steel track's Ive seen them on the road but when i spoke to the DVLA the guy said you can't put them the road, but I have seen in the dvla web site you can but only drive up to 20mph and the track has to be a min of 12.5mm wide and the weight spread over 2.5cubic m square of the tracks. but I dont know any one who has done this I also know about the H Licence thats the easy bit any help please! Thanks Rms Leyland Hippo or call me Richard:undecided:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Every one Just brought the loyd carrier the one that was advertised on milweb brought it of Paul Visser drove it around the industrial pk were he has his work shop it was great lovely restoration job on it just got to get it back to the Uk then. now need a trailer for it to tow behind my Leyland Hippo cant wait!!!:D

Yes would like a Brock house trailer it would go nicely as a combination. ive also seen two 6 pounders on mill-web dose any body know any thing about them I could be interested but seem a bit expensive in unrestord condition not sure?:undecided: any how looking forward to driving the loyd and some shows thinking of Over lord in Denmead in May.:)

According to the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 the maximum permitted speed for a vehicle on steel tracks is 5mph.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1984/27/schedule/6

It looks like you need both springs and pads to do 20mph ...

A motor vehicle being a track-laying vehicle which is fitted with—(a) springs between its frame and its weight-carrying rollers, and (b) resilient material between the rims of its weight-carrying rollers and the surface of the road,and which is not drawing a trailer - 20mph

Nic

It looks like you need both springs and pads to do 20mph ...

A motor vehicle being a track-laying vehicle which is fitted with—(a) springs between its frame and its weight-carrying rollers, and (b) resilient material between the rims of its weight-carrying rollers and the surface of the road,and which is not drawing a trailer - 20mph

A Carrier would comply with the above, it has spring suspension and road wheels have resilient bands on them which are between the rollers/wheels and road (no mention of tracks is there).

Fair call. I'm not familiar with the arrangement on a loyd, but had always assumed that the 'final padding' needed to be to the road surface itself. The wording 'resilient material between the rims of its weight-carrying rollers and the surface of the road' actually makes more sense applied to the 'road wheels' than to the track links.

Nic

Fair call. I'm not familiar with the arrangement on a loyd, but had always assumed that the 'final padding' needed to be to the road surface itself. The wording 'resilient material between the rims of its weight-carrying rollers and the surface of the road' actually makes more sense applied to the 'road wheels' than to the track links.

Nic

I think it is to differentiate with machines like crawler tractors with no suspension nor rubber road rollers/wheels.

I actually got hold of DVLA and DGSA and I have an e-mail back saying that if rollers have rubber around them and it has suspension then it can go on the road max 20mph if no suspension or rubber around the rollers then 5mph.and as the carriers have this its ok to go on the road. I wanted to make sure so got it in writing.not that you would drive far on the road. as for that 6 punder I am interested I did phone and e-mail but I have had no reply:undecided: where is it in the country ?

could any one help?

Richard,

Paul's Loyd is a Mk II, its an early TT (probably the earliest survivor) badged up as an 'Anti-Tank Mk I'. The only difference between a Mk I and a Mk II Loyd is the brakes, Mk I brakes were a total design failure and Loyd issued a kit at £64 to convert a Mk I to Mk II standard so that they could drive for more than 1/2 hr without total brake failure!

Edited by ajmac

Do you know when it was built? I haven't yet managed to find any document that specifies when the change from Mk I to Mk II took place. The dates in the wartime documents would suggest that the MK II must have started production after June 1941. The trouble is that all the documents that I have found dry up in about 1942, thus anything concerning the majority of the Loyd mods that occurred during the Mk II production run have no records.

I've no evidence that all MkIs were upgraded to Mk II spec but as the wartime reports are so scathing one would suspect that they were!

Just found a letter dated 30th October 1941 that references the Mk II.

Edit: Its getting earlier: Letter ref Mk II dated 22nd September 1941.

Edit 2: Earliest reference I've found: 13th May 1941 letter states that the Girling brakes have been implemented in production machines, thus that means the Mk II was born.

Edited by ajmac

Do you know when it was built? I haven't yet managed to find any document that specifies when the change from Mk I to Mk II took place. The dates in the wartime documents would suggest that the MK II must have started production after June 1941. The trouble is that all the documents that I have found dry up in about 1942, thus anything concerning the majority of the Loyd mods that occurred during the Mk II production run have no records.

I've no evidence that all MkIs were upgraded to Mk II spec but as the wartime reports are so scathing one would suspect that they were!

Just found a letter dated 30th October 1941 that references the Mk II.

Edit: Its getting earlier: Letter ref Mk II dated 22nd September 1941.

Edit 2: Earliest reference I've found: 13th May 1941 letter states that the Girling brakes have been implemented in production machines, thus that means the Mk II was born.

Im not sure of year but Paul said 1942 and I know the badges say Mk1 but all the forge markings on the the rollers do say 1942 and he assures me that there original and i have no reason to dout him but I have the workshop Manuel and some other paper work back at Southampton I am going back down tomorrow so ill have a look and get back to you. I had a look at your face book page very good your doing a great job keep it up :-)