loyd carrier mk 1

Rms Leyland Hippo

I THINK that the Mk I relates to the version of Tracked Towing (TT) configuration rather than the version of the Loyd that it was based on. You will find very little about the 'Anti-Tank Mk 1' but loads about the Loyd TT for 2 Pdr / 6 Pdr, in my view they are the same machine, just a change in nomenclature. I'll have a look tonight at the manuals.

PS. I've got all of Pauls restoration photos as he stripped down the Loyd, its all original to the vehicle, you are very lucky.

Edit: I was wrong.... just found ref in the November 1944 parts book to the MK I TT, it says the first 1630 machines had the old style track adjusters, which means Bendix brakes were used. I would imagine that means the early TT contract started out as Mk I and then changed to Mk II but were never officially re-classified during the production run at M.B.Wild.

Edited by ajmac

I THINK that the Mk I relates to the version of Tracked Towing (TT) configuration rather than the version of the Loyd that it was based on. You will find very little about the 'Anti-Tank Mk 1' but loads about the Loyd TT for 2 Pdr / 6 Pdr, in my view they are the same machine, just a change in nomenclature. I'll have a look tonight at the manuals.

PS. I've got all of Pauls restoration photos as he stripped down the Loyd, its all original to the vehicle, you are very lucky.

Edit: I was wrong.... just found ref in the November 1944 parts book to the MK I TT, it says the first 1630 machines had the old style track adjusters, which means Bendix brakes were used. I would imagine that means the early TT contract started out as Mk I and then changed to Mk II but were never officially re-classified during the production run at M.B.Wild.

Yes that sounds about right but I dont go and pick the loyd up until the end of February so could measure the drums then thanks

Richard:-)

• 3 weeks later...

Yes That was my Loyd carrier I brought of Paul Visser in holland he was meeting me at Dunkirk at the museum we unloaded it put it on my lorry now safely back in the uk first show of the year will be overlord at Denmead Hampshire will be there with my Leyland hippo. Looking for a Brock house trailer to put it on any one got one for sale?:)