Walk in Fridge/Freezer

HWade

Its funny what you come across when you call in at different places. I had to pop out first thing this morning only a couple of miles down the road. The place in question was your typical suffolk farm house and old red brick out buildings. Well Talking to the owner I mentioned that I restored old military vehicles and collected various items from WW2 and also enjoyed watching WW2 aircraft, well about a minute after saying that a WW2 twin propped aircraft flew over, I thought it was a blenheim but after a call to a friend at Duxford he informed me theres had not flown today. So not quite sure what it was that flew over, any way I am drifting away from the story. Well carrying on are conversation he told me back in the very late 40s early fiftys the farm was a Dairy farm and the old boy that farmed there, later on had to get a fridge to keep his dairy products cool. Well the fridge in question was still there in one of the out buildings, and its about 7ft square and you can walk in. Well the inside of door is painted in drab and still has the stenciling on the door. On closer inspection although the outside is now white, there is drab under the white paint. It also has the original compressor and motor on the roof of the fridge. The whole thing is alloy. The floor is ribbed. Just goes to show what is about, I just wonder if its off one of the many 8th air force bases dotted around suffolk and Norfolk. Its in such good order i could not stand to see it scrapped so i now have a fridge to collect. Pics are on my phone so are down load in a mo. Howard. ( Lunch over back to work)

Gordon, thats actually a good point I did not think of medical, but if they kept blood it would have to be kept cool, are have to start digging, the old thing seems so straight it would be a shame to scrap it.

It would look good on the back of that GMC tipper you recently completed - the owner could use it as a living pod :D

Mmm thoses are some good ideas, I have to admit i did think living pod for a gmc, and the nice thing being on skids and having the lifting points it can lift on and off a truck. All are need is a truck. Are have to be getting this home.

You had to have it, quite right.

Let's see now, if it is a FREEZER, and opposed to a FRIDGE, it'll be for food because as far as I know blood has to be kept cold but the structure is ruined by freezing. FRIDGE may be medical.

There will be plates on it somewhere, can't wait to see what they say. I'd guess originally it was trucked in a GMC or whatever and offloaded where required.