Union flag on combat clothing

Edward53

Does anyone know when the Union Flag started to be worn on combat clothing in modern times? I'm fairly sure I've seen a Falklands campaign photo of it being worn, but only the one photo and it seems untypical. It reappears on desert clothing and now seems to be universal, but when was it officially introduced?

It was a standardised late-1990s thing...........the trial CS95 gear didn't feature it......later production did........earliest pre-90s use was by UK Forces on arctic deployments.............

Realistically.....? Late 1990's.........well after GW1 and possibly GW2 too..............:D

It was a standardised late-1990s thing...........the trial CS95 gear didn't feature it......later production did........earliest pre-90s use was by UK Forces on arctic deployments.............

Realistically.....? Late 1990's.........well after GW1 and possibly GW2 too..............:D

Certainly, as a member of the least known TA Infantry unit ever (W. Mids Regt.), our first issue of CS95 didn't have it, and it was some time (probably Camp 2002) before we were issued the union flags separately, and told to sew them onto everything "by tomorrow morning". :D

Best Regards,

Prof

Mr Prof

I am intrigued with the West Midland Regiment, in fact never heard of it (that is not a disrespectful comment) but from what parentage did it come from ?

Hi Bob,

I would have assumed no disrespect intended, it's a little known bunch.:D

The main Midlands TA units that were amalgamated were the Staffordshire Regt, The Worcester and Sherwood Forresters, The Shropshire Light Infantry and the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers (where I came from). It existed from 1999 to 2007, before amalgamating into the Mercians (with whom I still serve).

It was an odd regiment. Looking back, I think it was always intended as a 'place holder', with no regimental capbadge, we all wore the badges and uniforms of the regiments we'd come from. Parades were strange, since we had to allow for the drill differences between Light and Heavy Infantry. But, despite that, it did it's job, we sent soldiers to the Gulf and Afghan, and lost some too. One of our privates won the MC also.

I hope that helps?

Best Regards,

Prof

https://en.wikipedia.uz/West_Midlands_Regiment

• 1 month later...