The best type of military vehicle for regular use.

paulob1

I was just thinking about my toys and which one I enjoy the most and is the most usable.

Here are my thoughts. I dont include jeeps and such toys as they are simple cars without electric windows.

Ferret just about the easiest to drive and play with, one of my personal favourites, could be an everyday vehicle in the summer months...

Stalwart a favourite off road but always worried about it breaking on road and it is hard work on road...

Urals and Zils just brilliant on and off road.

Leyland Daf. DROPS.a very nice easy drive...not an everyday toy though

432/434 too big and involved to drive on the road regularly

fug impossible on the road, awful off road, no vision.

star 266 excellent truck on and off road, good workhorse if you needed it to be

star 660 hard work but a nice truckl and more capable than you think, excellent box body, one of the best for camper conversion.

BRDM, too big for everyday use but an easy drive. okay for pub runs

Saracen too big too wide but lots of fun to drive.

MTLB hard work, no chance on road...

Kraz 255b too wide too slow.

CVRT. superb and a good regular driver...

M62 wrecker with the 10 litre petrol engine superb for everything...just 22 tons too big...5 mpg doesnt help either but for that size of engine and size of truck in my eyes economical...

I am not into world war 2 mini trucks and tanks but a sherman on the road would be great fun I suspect...and anyone got a bren gun carrier registered for road use..that would be cool, berliet trucks are great, but best with the synchro gearbox...M458 easy too, m113 never driven one but am told they are easy to drive and tiny compared to most APC's and so should be good on road...

in addition I would add as my favourites a fox, a saladin, maybe an OT-90 one of the easiest drives ever... but would be ridiculous on the road...so my current top ranking is the

CVRT and The Ferret...

any advances on this...

I'll go with Robin's reply, above. As the owner of a Series 3 109, which also happens to be my daily drive, I find it a dead easy wagon to drive around in. Granted, I've had hells own delight in fixing a couple of dashboard switch issues (heater blower & wash/wiper) in the last week (still not completely fixed, lack of time, suitable weather, and those thrice-be-damned lock-rings (smooth sided nuts)), but they're pretty-much there now, which emphasises the point that even a mechanical clutz like me can have a bit of fun (ahem. That's one word for those damned lock rings!:banghead:) both driving and fixing older ex-military wagons! :D

yes Landys cool enough, but they are just big cars, was more interested in hearing about non car types...can never beat a good loader or digger for playing about with..I have a kirovets Balarus 701, now that is a big toy..but not good on road...

• 1 month later...

If you enjoy the Ferret on road, you should try the Dingo. The gearbox is 10x better to use than that of the Ferret and with the driver's seat in the "High" position, visibility is excellent.

I'm trying to buy a Dingo at the moment, but we don't seem to be able to agree on price (there is very little information available about what they are actually worth and changing hands for).

I really enjoy driving my Saracen on the road and don't find the size to be much of an impediment, but the visibility is quite poor and I would not drive one without someone in the turret.

Cheers,

Terry

I'm trying to buy a Dingo at the moment, but we don't seem to be able to agree on price (there is very little information available about what they are actually worth and changing hands for).

Hi Terry,

There are very few Dingos (Daimler, I mean) in Australia, so guess you must be looking at one overseas. Spares and tyres will be an issue if you have not researched them.

regards, Richard

I have used a AUSTIN CHAMP as every day transport and so did my wife they can have problems with the back axle but if it

is in good condition when you get it and change the oil regularly it should be ok they are generally reliable and comfortable

to drive wind screen wipers take a bit to get use to slow when you accelerate speed up when you slow down

I have used a AUSTIN CHAMP as every day transport and so did my wife they can have problems with the back axle but if it

is in good condition when you get it and change the oil regularly it should be ok they are generally reliable and comfortable

to drive wind screen wipers take a bit to get use to slow when you accelerate speed up when you slow down

Can anyone say what the issue is. Is it that the oil doesn’t lubricate the gears properly?

in my reply the word on the rear axle is CAN The champs l have owned only one had a problem with the rear axle that was the excessive wear of the crown wheel and pinion the teeth of the pinion were worn to a razor sharp edge this was not caused by poor lubrication but stress on the crown wheel and pinion set up and other factors like bad driver operation of the forward and reverse gear lever in my early years l rebuilt many CHAMP rear axle and front axles and still have my tools like the dummy pinions for setting up the crown wheels l like the champ always have always will l have owned many landrovers

and still do but nothing puts a smile on my face as much as a CHAMP l have done up to 80,ooo miles in a CHAMP with no problems with the back axle l think in the CHAMPS CASE IT IS MUCH OF A GIVE A DOG A BAD NAME

• 1 month later...

This may be too big, but the US m923a2 truck is a decent choice for 4 reasons: (a) turbo cummins and auto trans make driving easy. (b) It's large enough that most people stay out of your way; © tens of thousands are getting released by US DOD now at absurd prices (can buy an overhauled unit for under $10K USD, when military spent $100K to totally rebuild it); (d) it can be very useful, like if you need to haul 20 refrigerators or pull a bus from a mud bog, or give 20 kids a ride to the soccer game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcEQ3h_-b3I

Edited by datadawg

Hi....-you know me as I had a little drive in your saracen at 'Overlord' the year before last.... -I'd go with the Ferret for 'manageability' size-wise, but if I was wiping my butt with £50 notes/(money no object), I'd happily use my saracen everyday, (-if I could obtain enough tyres to last my lifetime...)😜😜😉

MY two most used vehicles are my 1940 Chevrolet Pulman Delux Staff Car and my M3A1 White Scout Car.

The Chev was, during the early years of the Second World War, used by General Savige commanded the 17th Infantry Brigade in the North African campaign, the Battle of Greece and the Syrian-Lebenon campaigns. He returned to Australia after the Battle of Greece, but later commanded the 3rd Division in the Salanaua-Lae campaign He ultimately rose to the rank of lieutenant general in the Australian Army, commanding the II Corps in the Bougainville campaign. General Savige arrived back in Australia in December 1941 and the car in April 1942.

We have travelled about 45,000 miles in the Chev including the "Back to the Track" trip to Darwin in 1995.

My M3A1 White Scout car has taken us all over eastern and central Australia. Sofar, since 1986 when I finished the restoration, we have worn our two engines and have travelled more than 100,000 kilometers (60,000 miles). The trailer on the back is an Australian version of the Humber 1 ton trailer which has been converted into a camper trailer and modified with Scout Car wheels, it carries the spare wheel and other emergency items as well.

Regards Rick

IMG_6352[1]b.jpg

IMGP3885.jpg