Why the crazy Mk6 Helmet prices on Ebay lately???

Scotch Harry

Not that long ago you couldnt give away Mk6 helmets as nobody wanted them or if you did list them on Ebay would be lucky to get around £10-£15. Anybody else noticed the crazy money most are going for now,£40,50,60,70 quid,more than Para helmets and seen a few sell for more than Mk7 helmets!!!!!

What on earth is going on??

I've been wondering about this too. It seems to started about three months ago for no apparent reason. I thought it was a blip at first, but it's gone on too long. I haven't noticed anything else going mental. Scruffy para helmets seem to have got a bit stronger, but not as much as Mk6s. :???

Bored this morning so just done a random check of 10 stupidly priced Mk6s on Ebay and the same guy is amongst the high bidders on all of them p***_s.gif( 1118iconRedStar_25x25.gif)

Thanks to Ebay and their wisdom no way of finding who this guy is but I for one would sure be interested to know why the high prices and why bidding on so many??

He is also bidding on all the para helmets. Since it takes more than one bidder to force prices up, unless there are two people in a devilish conspiracy (sorry but I can't be bothered to check completed listings to find out), this means other collectors are prepared to pay a high price for a Mk6. Luckily for me I also have a few of these and don't need any more, but if I wanted one I'd have to either pay what they are making, wait and see if prices go down, or hope to turn one up somewhere other than ebay.

One might expect collectors' items to roughly follow inflation like everything else, but they are not consumer goods and have a strange dynamic of their own, prices sometimes remaining static for years and then suddenly shooting up (and occasionally down).

That might explain a lot! :-D

That page is looking for the US PASGT style helmet shell Full NIJ IIIA

Perhaps the repeat bidders are hoping to create a shortage by buying and hoarding the stock?

Edited by Toner
Typos and another thought

Would there be any legal issues with shipping/selling helmets to be used in the conflict?

There would be if they were American-made or contained any US technology. ITAR (International Trade in Arms Regulations) catch just about anything with a military application. You'd need to consult the regs themselves to see what applied to the specific helmet.

A word of Warning on this topic Chaps!.............

I have it on reliable authority, from a Government approved Garrison clearance disposal agent. ( A VERY Good Collegue!)

Mark VII Gentex Helmets are now the Anti=Terrorist Equipment list......

He WONT be getting any more in a Hurry! I don't know why this would be, a Helmet is pretty much a Helmet TBH.

Helmets are not primarily for the stopping of Bullets. They are for deflecting shrapnel in the first instance.

Yes, they will stop a Bullet in some circumstances. IE: When the speed of the Bullet head has dropped significantly.

Over travelling a distance, or a ricochet. But up fairly close, say. 60-70 Meter's away. The modern Kevlar variants

generally will not stop a round.

As we all are aware. Helmets of various types & styles. Are READILY available through a spectrum of outlets & suppliers, Worldwide!...

So the only thing I can think of that is a plausible explaination really. Is that they are the 'Flavour of the Month' with the M.O.D Police Etc! These 'People' go round checking & monitoring Military Equipment Etc. That is available for sale on the Civilian Market.

I have a Friend who has a LARGE Surplus & Collectors shop. That is visited periodicaly, by these People. They told him he couldn't sell Ex Police Helmets. Which was untrue! He had the Ex M.O.D Suppliers Recipet to prove they were purchased legitimately as well!

When they dispose of these helmets. The badge has to be removed, so they are not 'Ready to wear'. Which is understandable.

However, you can also at the same time. Purchase the badge if desired. There is NOTHING legal wise, to prevent you from putting the Badge back on the helmet. To bring it back to it's original configuration. The offence, would be wearing it, with uniform. With the intent to impersonate a Police Officer.

These 'Trends' rear their head occassionaly. In an attempt to crack down of stealing Military equipment. & selling it onto the Civvy Market.

Edited by ferretfixer

If the oracle of wisdom that is Wikipedia is to be believed:

"In 2014, due to lack of adequate protection, hundreds of Mk 6 and Mk 6A helmets were bought in UK and shipped to Ukraine, where they are widely used by soldiers of Ukrainian Army Forces in non-official war with Donbass separatists (along with other types of modern ballistic helmets)".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_6_helmet

• 3 weeks later...
So would I by (if I did)selling the few Mk6 helmets I have in my collection to a third party who then shipped them over to Estonia get in any trouble please?

Thanks.

Short answer I would say is no. Because you are selling them to 'Anyone' over her in the UK . If THAT person then decides to sell overseas. HE, must get the appropriate export licence from the Home Office. They are classified as: 'War Like Store's', after all!.....