Live viewing of Littlefield auction

Richard Farrant

That is to move the items from the Museum to a storage depot a few miles away.

Thanks for the link Richard, I was also wondering what the transport costs were. I followed it with interest for a while, any idea of what time it will start this evening, will it be about the 6.30-7pm time again?

Scott

Just starting now (7.20)

Only in America would they play the national anthem before a sale.

That is to move the items from the Museum to a storage depot a few miles away.

Thanks Richard. Just heard them reading the sale conditions. Apparently due to the ground and road conditions they're imposing a compulsory requirement that their movers remove the lots from site to more easily accessible storage elsewhere. They're passing on the charges to the buyer. The charges seem to be a bit all over the place though.

Some stuff is going about as expected and others are unbelievable....Ferret was way over reality especially with premiums and taxes. Guy is going to pay pretty heavy to move it as well. Lots of issues getting stuff off the hill (museum) as noted by the transport costs which are not applying to vehicles but only other stuff. They aren't telling you what the cost to get the armor off the hill is and after being involved in getting a few pieces out of that place in the last few years its going to be high. I feel for the guy who is spending all that cash on the chieftain Mk11 with the dozer blade. His issues are just beginning. No telling if the thing even runs and he has already paid about twice market and is looking at $20K or so to move it.

I had a look at the chieftain engine that sold for $10K. Hope that guy has a mechanic.....or isn't planning on using it in a vehicle as a runner. Looks like a lot of buyers either have very deep pockets and no cares or they're buying based on pictures and descriptions. Having seen all this stuff a month or so back I'm shocked at the prices of some of it.

Frank

Just starting now (7.20)

Only in America would they play the national anthem before a sale.

Thanks Richard. Just heard them reading the sale conditions. Apparently due to the ground and road conditions they're imposing a compulsory requirement that their movers remove the lots from site to more easily accessible storage elsewhere. They're passing on the charges to the buyer. The charges seem to be a bit all over the place though.

Sean,

I have been watching this and think the charges relate to whether the vehicle is a runner, needs craning, weight, etc.

The ranch is up in the hills and local residents were concerned about traffic so this is why it is being done this way apparently.

Chieftain Mk11 went for $130,000

M3A1 Stuart $155,000

Australian 2pdr Attack Carrier $84,000

I agree with a previous poster and would chime in and say that those who have seen vehicles first hand would tell you that they were in less than great or even reasonable condition. Many had been stored outside with no cover.

The money they fetched was artificially high and from what people have been saying everyone was making a lot of assumptions or just didn't know what they were buying or the vehicle having come from the Littlefield collection made them desirable in some curious way.

I feel badly for some purchasers, as they are buying a world of hurt and expense.

The only positive thing is it pushed the value of those vehicles we do own up.

R

Sean,

I have been watching this and think the charges relate to whether the vehicle is a runner, needs craning, weight, etc.

Yes, I agree. It was the transport costs for the parts that seemed odd to me - two seemingly identical items in terms of size, weight etc. might have widely differing transport costs. However looking more closely, it seemed that some of the ones with apparently high costs were stuck out in odd places on the ranch, not on hard standing etc. and thus perhaps more awkward to move.

From the part of yesterday's sale I watched it seemed the WW2 stuff went well (very well), but the post war gun tanks seemed to make very much less than they expected (though still up with the market)

Some of the apparent over-inflated prices I think result from us looking at UK kit with UK prices in mind. For example, there are plenty of nice Ferrets over here, there probably aren't over there so will command a higher price.

Inevitably, though, much of it is just a reflection of different marketplaces. If I sold a car through Bonhams it's very likely to make considerably more than, say, through eBay or in the local free ads. A sale like this will attract many buyers and will attract moneyed buyers to whom such expenditure isn't significant in the way it is to us plebs.

I'm not sure I'm convinced of the argument that it pushes the value of vehicles we do own up. I don't think the rarified atmosphere of a sale like this really affects the general market; that only happens if the market as a whole goes up, for example in the way the increase in VW Type 2 prices has dragged up the later watercooled vehicles, or Willys and Ford prices have dragged up Hotchkiss'.

I'm also not sure that's a positive thing anyway. The price of your MV shooting up might give you a cosy feeling in the wallet, but if the market as a whole is going up by the same rate it only helps if you want to sell up and get out of MVs, or if you're in the lucky position of being able to buy, store and maintain a number of vehicles as an investment. If you want to change your MV for another it's no help because the other has gone up by just as much, and higher prices are a barrier to entry to the hobby for young and impecunious enthusiasts, which ultimately will hurt the hobby.

I have to say I sat up until the last vehicle sold and it was fascinating!

Few vehicles of note:

1)the Mack No2 made $40,000 which to me seemed steep

2)the Israeli super sherman made $255,000

3)the sherman m4a3 (early model) made $260,000 although I believe that needs restoring

4)the grant tank which was a non runner made $240,000

5) the Churchill toad which was over valued made £70,000 so way off the estimate!!!

6)the sterling wrecker made $2,000 which I thought cheap considering it's rarity

now for the 'Littlefield select vehicles'

1) the easy 8 sherman made $300,000 and did sell

2) the german 8 ton half track sdkfz 7 made: $1,050,00 and did sell at that price

3) the LVT modified made $375,000 and did not sell at that price

4) the panzer 4 ausf H got to $1,750,00 and did not meet reserve

5) the jumbo sherman got to $800,000 did not meet reserve and did not sell.

was an interesting auction none the less and has at least given a talking point for a few weeks on here!

cheers Al

Only £70k for the Toad? I'd have thought it cost more than that to restore.

I assume it's because it's an oddball British vehicle.

A very oddball machine too, built postwar, never saw any active service, I thought it sold for $70k which equates to about £41k

Edited by Nick Johns

• 2 weeks later...