IMBS - But has anyone ever had a speeding ticket in their MV?

LarryH57

Question

18 answers to this question

Has anyone ever had a speeding ticket in their MV? I suspect for some owners they can hardly do 30 mph so would be hard pressed to get a ticket.

Not yet, but a few years ago I was barreling down the Hume Highway near Wangaratta in the White Scout Car with a trailer when I was rounded up by the boys in blue who pulled me up and advised me that they had clocked me at 109Km/h in a 100km zone. All they were really interested in was a look over the White as they did not think a WWII vehicle could go that fast. (They do, in fact it will go faster). The down side is of course that the fuel consumption goes through the roof.

Twice now I have been stopped at a Booze Block for a breath test in the White and the office has tested my passenger. Guess who looked a fool, not me.:cool2: The first time I asked I he wanted me to blow in the bag and he said "No only the driver." took a second look and slunk away. The second just smacked his forehead and went away.:rotfl:

Once in the camouflaged Chev Staff car I was pulled up for a check and the rozzer said he nearly didn't see me. (Ha! Ha!)

Regards Rick.

somervilleBrosEnsay2004b.jpg

Once had about half a troop of Mk1 AEC Militants clocked by the speed cameras on a downhill sliproad on an autobahn in southern Germany - the speed limit was 50KPH which a knocker would normally struggle to get to in the first place. But downhill and out of gear was a different story.....Speeds ranged from 58 to 77KPH

My mate and I were screaming down the Hume highway going to Corowa years ago when the cops used the twin wires across the road to check speed. Since I had a CJ transfer case with overdrive fitted into my GPW (long trips here in Oz) we were near to lift off with the speedo past the last digits on the dial I thought we were gone but no-one stopped us. I was a bit surprised (or was that disappointed) that we might not have exceeded the speed of sound.

Andrew B

I got a ticket a couple of years back. Coming back from combined ops show there's a steep hill into a dip and a steep climb out. Speed camera at the top of the hill, no problem there, lay bye at the bottom where I know dibble sometimes sit but couldn't see them. Got a bit of speed up to drag the trailer up the hill, and got a ticket through the post. 36 in a 30.>:(

Has anyone ever had a speeding ticket in their MV? I suspect for some owners they can hardly do 30 mph so would be hard pressed to get a ticket.

Don't forget that in a tracked vehicle even 30 mph will get you a speeding ticket!

Andy

Don't forget that in a tracked vehicle even 30 mph will get you a speeding ticket!

Andy

That only applies to fully tracked vehicles? As in half tracks are fine at the 30-35mph limit that the price of fuel allows? :cry:

Steve

That only applies to fully tracked vehicles? As in half tracks are fine at the 30-35mph limit that the price of fuel allows? :cry:

Steve

That's a very interesting question and I don't know the answer. Tracked vehicles are limited to 5mph on bare steel tracks and 20mph on rubber pads. As I understand it's a road damage issue I'd suspect the same should logically apply to half tracks?

Andy

Yes,

Bone stock German Army 1990 GD 250 Wolf, 3 surf boards on top...on the 37 Highway British Columbia, Canada, just noth of Bell 2 Lodge. 100km/ h...in a 70 km/h zone

...for fun, look on the map where that is :-)

I'll see if I can find a picture :-)

Nick CWC

Canada

Just looked it up, why surf boards in those hills.

BillyH

Just looked it up, why surf boards in those hills.

BillyH

well, some time in Tofino BC on the coast ws well spent, but I was living in Whitehorse YT at the time, and a guy wanted all 3...so, the sale paid the trip home :-)

He used them as Stand Up Paddle boards, or SUP's

I had more than a few comments had when getting topped up with Diesel in the First Nations Communities I was passing though !

That's a very interesting question and I don't know the answer. Tracked vehicles are limited to 5mph on bare steel tracks and 20mph on rubber pads. As I understand it's a road damage issue I'd suspect the same should logically apply to half tracks?

Andy

Talking to a half track owner at Tankfest over the weekend we've concluded that the 20mph speed limit doesn't apply to half tracks as they aren't a "track-laying vehicle steered by its tracks". Only our opinion mind, not legal advice! :cheesy:

Andy

That was the opinion of a traffic policeman interested in our hobby I was speaking to at the weekend he said roughly the same about not being steered by the tracks so his opinion was whatever speed you like as long as it's not in a dangerous manner, oh also he said that as long as we are faster than 25 on motorways no reasonable motorway officer should be interested.

Steve

I completed Basic Training at Catterick in 1975, did a radio course in the December (as did all the potential RAC Crewmen) then we split into Gunnery (Chieftain and Scorpion) or D&M (Chieftain and Scorpion). The potential RAC Soldiers did not do the radio course: they went straight to Land Rover and HGV.

We were still accommodated as an intake even thought we were on any of five courses, so I was able to chat with those on D&M courses.

One mucker was doing Scorpion D&M. One evening he told us he'd been let loose on the A1. He was flagged down by a Police patrol car and given a talking to.

"Listen sonny, I am not going to stand before the magistrate and tell him that I patrolling the A1 when I was passed by a tank. You've got away with it this time. Don't do it again."

This has been posted before, but those who missed it watch the "Worlds fastest Sherman tank", turn the volume up too... listen to the bark of of the Detroit diesels. It sure would have got a speeding ticket but was filmed on a closed military road

Edited by Nick Johns

Wasn't there a TV Army Ad back in the 70s showing a Scorpion going along a road then turning off cross country with a quick glance at the speedo showing a fairly high rate of knots?

Fairly sure it was above 60.

I know that I used to get a reasonable speed out of my LMD ( Light Mobile Digger)

With flame out of the exhaust as the RR Petrol engine was in the higher revs.