AEC 0854 Bowser Recovery

Hello all,

I came across this poor quality but interesting image in an old piece of literature by The Garage Equipment Company probably dating from the 1960's.

It shows a rather sorry looking AEC 0854 Bowser being towed by what looks like a re-bodied 0854 chassis.

The recovery vehicle could be a conversion by Mann Egerton of Norwich.

I hope it's of interest!

SCAN0030.jpg

I agree. It looks like an entire WLF rear body and Garwood crane frame have been transplanted. There are a few interesting points to note:

1) the rear winch area is un-modified. Generally in civvy service vertical fairleads were added by recovery companies as the winch rope rapidly wears the area of bodywork just behind the rear winch if used for anything other than straight pulls.

2) the area below the crane just in front of the pull-out side legs has had a locker lid added. This is such an obvious conversion to do and yet in the hundreds of WLF photos in my collection I've never seen/noticed this done before.

3) on both lower rear corners there are vertical tubes with holes in them welded to the rear 'mudguard' area. These are in fact the outer sections of the original telescopic rear legs from the WLF body. The originals simply slide down and are pinned in place at the desired length. On this truck the hinged section is not original but the bottom section and foot is a shortened original (notice the holes). I wonder whether the originals got bent or damaged as I can't see why you'd go to all the effort of including the holey tubes in the bodywork to then not use them.

4) On top of the lattice boom is the original hinged return pulley arrangement for luffing the boom and the crane hook is also Garwood.

5) The rear locker on the RH side step with the two bottom hinges and the hole at the top is a WLF side locker. This would originally have been bolted directly beneath the crane frame sticking out forwards over the rear part of the step.

Thanks for the photo!

- MG

Edited by TooTallMike
More WLF geekery...

Hi Ian, IIRC that is Mann Egerton's own one and is based on the 0857 normal control chassis used on the 6x6 armoured command vehicle. I have a picture of the rear end if you are interested.

Thanks for listing the picture, much better quality than mine!

Yes I believe that it could be an 0857 chassis as I have seen pictures of a similar vehicle which was said to be based on the 0857 chassis.

Ian.

Thanks for the info Mike, have you any idea what the two rollers above and in line with the rear legs are?

I wondered about those as they are not from the original body. In that location on the original body were the pivoting bases for the telescopic support legs for the boom so it is a reinforced area. I cannot see what rollers achieve in that location, unless they are actually something else?

The yellow truck seems to have them as well.

- MG

Edited by TooTallMike

When i got the book many years ago with that back view of the wrecker in i was in my mid teens and spent many hours dreaming about having such equipment. I analysed every picture in great detail so i knew what everything was and did. I worked out it was modified Garwood equipment and those little things were set in side lights or indicators. The picture was shown on here and by the miracle of computers i was able to enlarge the photos and prove i was wrong for 40+ yrs they are indeed rollers held in by a large diameter lock nut as to there use i am completly at a loss hang about for another 40 yrs i might have an answer

Just came to me what the rollers are off if you blow up the picture they are the front fairlead rollers of some thing like the scammell recovery or a martian or something. Maybe an aborted attempt to somehow give it a side or forward winching ability

Three more photos here:-

AEC 0857 WW2 ACV / Mann Eggerton Recovery Conversion

WarfieldGarage winkleigh oct88 uw065

Trunking!

Looks like it was sold by Warfield Garage at auction in 1993 (see first link above), and went to the West of England Transport Collection at Winkleigh, Devon. The last mention of it I can find online was in 2003. Anyone know if it still exists?

Was it a one-off? There seems to be a feeling that it probably was.

Edited by utt61