Are you loud and proud or still in the closet

gas 44

Now I have your attention gentlemen....lets keep it light hearted bearing in mind the season of good will.

Really its a follow on from an earlier thread that has maybe got a little heated.

You guessed it I'm talking about, dare I say it..........dressing up.

So its mainly aimed at vehicle owners rather that vehicle owning reenactors or living history people, of course they are more than welcome to comment. But I'd like to keep it upbeat please so no name calling from anyone :D

So my question is,

1, do you dress up when in your vehicle and if so is it uniform or what I would term as greens.

I'll kick it off, WE wear HBT coverall's, they are in context with the vehicles we own and we are too old to dress as combat troops.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wear DPM trousers and a T-shirt.. this is NOT the MVT uniform as has been suggested on here before.. In fact the MVT have NO uniform..

In the past I have put on a Uniform (DPM's) at the request of the British Army on two occasions, the Queen's Pageant, where we were Badge up by Major Whatley as the "Blues & Royals" & the TA100 Pageant both on Horseguards Parade..

There are some out there that give & badge themselves up with ranks they are not entitled to wear.

Edited by Marmite!!

I wear DPM trousers and a T-shirt.. this is NOT the MVT uniform as has been suggested on here before.. In fact the MVT have NO uniform..

In the past I have put on a Uniform (DPM's) at the request of the British Army on two occasions, the Queen's Pageant, where we were Badge up by Major Whatley as the "Blues & Royals" & the TA100 Pageant both on Horseguards Parade..

There are some out there that give & badge themselves up with ranks they are not entitled to wear.

Come on Lee I dont want to have to play at moderator on this thread and did ask to keep it light hearted or I will ask Jack to remove that comment.......:cheesy:

Mainly I wear only greens as they are practical to wear if the spanners have to come out, saying that I'll be wearing my DR kit in Normandy on the Norton next year partly coz everyone else will be looking like the crazy frog remember that annoying song ? and it looks good when all the motorcycles zoom ?? past with the riders wearing the correct kit.

Its suprising how much hard work it is to keep getting dressed up in this kit and look fairly presentable not to mention how uncomfortable it can be, itchy scratchy Bd's :nut: I found it too hot when not on the bike and cold when on it ! I soon found out why Dr's wore those leather jerkins.

Each to their own I say :D

RR.

As I get older I wear uniform less unless actually asked to do so for a certain event, however many of the shows I attend are 40's themed and not to enter into the spirit of things defeats the object somewhat. Without trying to upset anyone I think it is an individual choice, many of us including myself are ex military and probably have more insight into forces life than some who dress as Generals etc, whose only experience of uniforms was the boys scouts after school but live and let live. We ALL have one common love and that's for the vehicles that's what binds us together and makes us the friendly bunch we are. I have no problem with people wearing uniform as long as it is period correct and they do nothing to disrespect those who wore it for real, and for the people who did, I respect and thank you :)

As I get older I wear uniform less unless actually asked to do so for a certain event, however many of the shows I attend are 40's themed and not to enter into the spirit of things defeats the object somewhat. Without trying to upset anyone I think it is an individual choice, many of us including myself are ex military and probably have more insight into forces life than some who dress as Generals etc, whose only experience of uniforms was the boys scouts after school but live and let live. We ALL have one common love and that's for the vehicles that's what binds us together and makes us the friendly bunch we are. I have no problem with people wearing uniform as long as it is period correct and they do nothing to disrespect those who wore it for real, and for the people who did, I respect and thank you :)

I was that boy scout, luckily enough I was made up to a General fairly quickly, good job as I cound't deal with lower ranks rif raf. :D

:D:D

:D

I was that boy scout, luckily enough I was made up to a General fairly quickly, good job as I cound't deal with lower ranks rif raf. :D

:D:D

:D

Rank hath it's privelege's but it also brings responsibilities. Being one of the common herd the only responsibility is to follow orders, as was once said 'Leave the thnkin' to 'orses, they 'ave bigger 'eads' plus if you are seen to be old and stupid you can basically get away with nearly anything.:nut:

'Leave the thinkin' to 'orses, they 'ave bigger 'eads' - I like that!

and "If you are seen to be old and stupid you can basically get away with nearly anything"

I try and get away with that, when I can.

I got my 'love' of big green stuff when I was in the T.A. Now, nearly 30 years since I left, I have no hankering at all to wear any sort of uniform. Even my 'Coveralls, mens, large' seem to have shrunk over the years

and that would be the only 'uniform' I would consider wearing.

As has been said, each to their own, but I am happiest in dark blue 'boilersuits' as we used to call them. Practical for climbing into, over and under vehicles, and no pockets, zips and things to catch and rip on all the sharp edges and fittings.

Seasons greetings to all on the forum

'Chas.'