Are you loud and proud or still in the closet

gas 44

So you're in denial again then:nono:

He's gone for another swim in Egypt? Now that's exotic!:cool2:

As for uniforms worn with or around the vehicles, Back around '05 a friend of mine & myself drove my restored WC51 in a couple of Veteran's day parades. We wore the correct GI kit for late WWII period as I (we) thought it would compliment the vehicle. people along the parade route kept thanking us for our service. They thought we were active duty?! We found this very disconcerting as we had a mutual friend who was serving at the pointy end over in A-Stan at the time. Needless to say that when I'm out & about in one of my Mvs, I wear regular street clothes that are seasonally appropriate. The last time I had a vehicle out for display (M151A1) I was wearing my usual cargo pants & button down work shirt.

I'm now in my early to mid 40's a little doughy & with a goatee that I don't care to shave off so I'll forgo the uniform next time around. As for those that do wear them, I think if worn properly & the wearer is not trying to pass his/her self off as something they are not, that they do compliment the vehicle.

'Had a co-worker who drove a corvette once tell me that whenever I drove my "Army jeep" (M151A1) that I should wear an M1 steel helmet. When I asked why would I want to do that? His reply was "because it's an Army Jeep" or some other such nonesence. My reply was "Well, you drive a corvette. Oh, is that why you stuff a sock down the front of your pants?":-D

Matt

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I enjoy restoring vintage vehicles, 3 of them happen to be ex military, only one will be finished in deep bronze green, I have never been in any of the armed services and will not be wearing a uniform of any sort, I have a very good friend who served in the 2nd world war and on hearing some of his stories I think it would be disrespectfull to wear one, but that is only my personal opinion, re,enactors would look pretty silly in anything other than a uniform, as for vehicle owners it's there choice,