Arromanche beach 2014

ww2rupert

Hello

We have booked a place in Normandy 1.3km away from Arromanche for the 70th anniversary in June 2014.

I am taking my 1943 Austin K2 GS lorry, and would love to be in or on the beach on the 6th June.

My question is will i be able to get on the beach with the lorry that day as so many others do, and how or who do i contact to be able to?

A few years ago i went over when Brown & Obahma were there, and everything was locked down and i couldnt even get near the town!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Colin

I never had any trouble.The local Gendarme's at Ver Sur Mer werte a great bunch, so I drove down onto the beach and all the way along past the checkpoints. :D Another way is to offer to take some of the local kids for a ride along the beach... works evry time.

But that was 1944 Tony :saluting:

Hi

I hope this is helpful :

I know Adrian the Mayor of Arromanche and 2014 there will be restrictions on movement on the 6th ,his are intentions are .. allow ONLY British marked vehicles on the front (in the areas the ceremonies are held) what restrictions on the beach I'm not 100% ,for the 6th June ,I will be his driver(with Jeep) and run him around on his official duties on the day.

I know he does not like the abundance of American marked vehicles,star and stripe flags hanging off vehicles in a British sector, he is going to Police and put these requirements in place for 2014 .I have been told Pass's are required for vehicle movement into the area and also into Caen and Sword Beach areas .

When I speak with him in the new year I'll get more info on the vehicle requirements and see if pass's are available , or if they are for official vehicles only .

As I say ,I don't know what the vehicle requirements/movements are for the "Beach" , only for the front . I'll get more info in the new year and post it .

Edited by Davey089

Hi

I hope this is helpful :

I know Adrian the Mayor of Arromanche and 2014 there will be restrictions on movement on the 6th ,his are intentions are .. allow ONLY British marked vehicles on the front (in the areas the ceremonies are held) what restrictions on the beach I'm not 100% ,for the 6th June ,I will be his driver(with Jeep) and run him around on his official duties on the day.

I know he does not like the abundance of American marked vehicles,star and stripe flags hanging off vehicles in a British sector, he is going to Police and put these requirements in place for 2014 .I have been told Pass's are required for vehicle movement into the area and also into Caen and Sword Beach areas .

When I speak with him in the new year I'll get more info on the vehicle requirements and see if pass's are available , or if they are for official vehicles only .

As I say ,I don't know what the vehicle requirements/movements are for the "Beach" , only for the front . I'll get more info in the new year and post it .

You are not talking about Adrian Cox are you?

Yes:) , I was tallking with him this year ,(thats how I got to be his "official" driver ) :cool2: ,he was telling me of the restrictions in place around the Caen and Sword areas too ,Imps as far as I am aware are involved .

Edited by Davey089

Hi

Knowing the French I suspect that you are right. Most of the spaces will be taken by Post War Hotchkiss Jeeps......luckily thats exactly what the 101st and 82nd used right ??????

Its not what you know/have, regardless of how accurate you are or your vehicle is, its WHO you know.......of course the French would have been delighted to allow ANY Allied vehicle into their town on the 6th.......in 1944 what short memories some countries have. ;)

Hi

I hope this is helpful :

Thanks for the replies, my truck is British and we will be dressed in best BD of the Dorsetshire regt with "NO" weapons or flags.

Really hope to get to the front or on the beach on the day, as we last went on the 65th anniversary a few days after the 6th and lots of locals and tourists alike expresed how delighted they were to see British Tommiesicon7.png

If you could find out about passes i would be very greatful.

Regards

Colin

Hi

I hope this is helpful :

I am afraid Adrian is not Mayor yet, the elections are not until March and he will need dual citizenship first. (his words)

I am afraid Adrian is not Mayor yet, the elections are not until March and he will need dual citizenship first. (his words)

Strange the e mail I received from him is signed as ............copied from the actual e mail ...........

Keep in touch,

Best regards

Adrian Scott-Cox

Mairie d’Arromanches

Edited by Davey089

Strange the e mail I received from him is signed as ............copied from the actual e mail ...........

Keep in touch,

Best regards

Adrian Scott-Cox

Mairie d’Arromanches

I am pretty sure he will be by then, but he does know a lot about what is going on on the day.

Thanks for the replies, my truck is British and we will be dressed in best BD of the Dorsetshire regt with "NO" weapons or flags.

Really hope to get to the front or on the beach on the day, as we last went on the 65th anniversary a few days after the 6th and lots of locals and tourists alike expresed how delighted they were to see British Tommiesicon7.png

If you could find out about passes i would be very greatful.

Regards

Colin

If getting to the front is so important then you may have been better to sign up with the MVT tour.:undecided:

Well , sorry if this post has turned into a debate over whether Adrian is the mayor of Arromanche or not . I was simply trying to pass on info which I got from Adrian when speaking with him this year .I thought it would be of interest to those attending the 70th anniversary to enable them to organise/sort something to save disappointment on the day .

Well I for one thank you for the info.

I think WE should ALL think a little about what the day is about. My veiw only...but I dont think it should be about wether we can or cannot get our vehicle "on the front" or beach or even what we are wearing.After all its not a circus (is it ?) I think it should be a time to reflect on who went before to allow us to be able to go or not go as we please.

Just my thoughts, I will be there not sure where, but will be thinking of all those youngsters who did not survive that day....very humbling.

Well I for one thank you for the info.

I think WE should ALL think a little about what the day is about. My veiw only...but I dont think it should be about wether we can or cannot get our vehicle "on the front" or beach or even what we are wearing.After all its not a circus (is it ?) I think it should be a time to reflect on who went before to allow us to be able to go or not go as we please.

Just my thoughts, I will be there not sure where, but will be thinking of all those youngsters who did not survive that day....very humbling.

Can you honestly say that you own a WW2 vehicle just to honour the veterans? No you own one because its what YOU want and enjoy, myself and others enjoy wearing the uniform as part of what we do, plus it enhances the vehicle, us reenactors probably have more respect for the veterans than your standard MVT owner in combats

The veterans love us wearing the uniform and honouring thier memory, you obviously don't agree by your comments?

As regards you comment, "maybe you should go on an MVT organised trip" why should they have the monopoly on it? I know most MVT do not like reenactors, but then most reenactors don't like the MVT uniform!

Just my opinion?!

Can you honestly say that you own a WW2 vehicle just to honour the veterans? No you own one because its what YOU want and enjoy, myself and others enjoy wearing the uniform as part of what we do, plus it enhances the vehicle, us reenactors probably have more respect for the veterans than your standard MVT owner in combats

The veterans love us wearing the uniform and honouring thier memory, you obviously don't agree by your comments?

As regards you comment, "maybe you should go on an MVT organised trip" why should they have the monopoly on it? I know most MVT do not like reenactors, but then most reenactors don't like the MVT uniform!

Just my opinion?!

Remember many of our members are MVT members too & many MVT members are also reenactors. To suggest that as an MVT member they probably have less respect as they are not reenactors is very Insulting.

I know most MVT do not like reenactors

How do you know that? the MVT have almost 4,000 members

but then most reenactors don't like the MVT uniform!

The MVT do not have a uniform?? could you explain?

You mention "us reenactors".. Reenacting/Living History covers all eras up to present day.. History didn't stop at the end of WW2

Edited by Marmite!!

This really is a strange thread.

I just don't see the need to be on the beach - it's like wanting to park your vehicle on a grave yard. The beaches were places of death and destruction where so many young men had a violent death.

I know more people who work 'behind' the camera in remembering our war dead and keeping history alive. You will never find these people fighting and squabbling for a front row seat. They don't need to.

Edited by Jack