Passed my C+E first go this morning...

TooTallMike

Cheers guys, I'm still grinning like a twit :-D

I did a 5-day course which cost about £950. I've been driving big stuff for a while and I've done a fair bit of flat and suspended towing but even so it was quite a step up to an artic. I know it seems obvious but the cut in of the trailer takes some getting used to. I brushed a kerb during the test and had to mount a pavement to get past another truck in a narrow village but in the end I only got 6 minor faults, mostly for mirrors. Apparently anything in single figures is good on the artic so I'm happy and I thoroughly enjoyed the week. I think that's it for driving tests after 3 in 6 months (h, C and C+E) although I do fancy the road roller and tractor ones...

Incidentally if anyone is thinking of doing any truck tests in the near future, the minimum vehicle requirements are getting much stricter in July and the rigid (class C) will have to be done on a box-bodied vehicle with a range change gearbox and ABS. They reckon most people will need minimum 2 weeks to get used to it so the course price will effectively double. Do it now!

Yep Well Done! So you're now a professional driver Fun isn't it :-D

I did mine just before Christmas, unfortunately I took 3 attempts. The first time I nudged the barrier which is an instant failure ( but I only got 7 minors ) . Second time I got 8 minors but as 3 of them was for hesitation ,again it was a fail. But the third I nailed it with only 2 minor faults :-D.

As Jack says it does help to open up some doors. I did some work for Tesco over Christmas drawing 45ft fridge trailers and the moneys not bad. You could soon earn the cost of the course back. Mind you, what they don't teach you on the course is how to back a 45ft trailer into a crowded RDC's loading bay with no-room...in the dark!

And you know how you're not meant to touch the barrier in the test? Well in the real world you have to hit the bay quite hard for it to lock on to the trailer! :|

8-) Richard

Cheers guys, I'm still grinning like a twit :-D

Incidentally if anyone is thinking of doing any truck tests in the near future, the minimum vehicle requirements are getting much stricter in July and the rigid (class C) will have to be done on a box-bodied vehicle with a range change gearbox and ABS. They reckon most people will need minimum 2 weeks to get used to it so the course price will effectively double. Do it now!

Thanks for that little bit of info. I've been considering taking mine for a few months now, best get it done very soon.

Thanks for that little bit of info. I've been considering taking mine for a few months now, best get it done very soon.

After today the LGV theory test changes from 35 to 60 questions and from £22 to £32, the hazard perception remains unchanged at 14 clips for now. I heard that it may change again at the end of the year to 100 questions (and properly double the fee) With the changes in practical in July, now is the time to get it done.

P.S I passed my theory test Saturday :banana:

Will being legal on the road in the Stolly detract from the fun?

NAH! :-D

P.S