Just got back from a busy weeks holiday in Dorset, which included the Steam Fair. Here are a few pics to whet your appetite. quite a good turnout of MV's, and a good number of Explorer's hiding in the commercial section, didn't see any Martians tho.

SAM_2595.jpg

SAM_2621.jpg

SAM_2584.jpg

Will hopefully post more pics of this when I get chance to resize.

Simon

SAM_2568.jpg

SAM_2674.jpg

SAM_2590.jpg

SAM_2680.jpg

SAM_2630.jpg

SAM_2626.jpg

SAM_2606.jpg

SAM_2703.jpg

It was a delight to just wake up at home by natural means rather than being woken by moronic tapping/thumping on the side of the Pig.

With the MV section being a bit further from the main thoroughfare it did reduce the number of cider-heads passing by. But as we were en route for the tractor pulling behind us it guaranteed a regular flow of people obsessed with tapping & banging the Pig at all hours.

It seemed to be worse this year. My curiosity at times would get the better of me & I would enquire of a tapper as to whether it was as they had expected. The usually answer was along the lines that they were checking the hardness & to see if it was real with the occasional "What's your problem mate?" My main problem was trying to get some sleep & resentment that my vehicle was not there to be kicked & thumped!

Despite that there were at times some good contacts made with intelligent & appreciative people. :D

It was a delight to just wake up at home by natural means rather than being woken by moronic tapping/thumping on the side of the Pig.

:D

Clive,

you should fit one of those shockers like they used in NI, you could have some fun there, wait until they knock then a quick burst of volts and wait for the bad language, that'll sober 'em up!

Clive,

you should fit one of those shockers like they used in NI, you could have some fun there, wait until they knock then a quick burst of volts and wait for the bad language, that'll sober 'em up!

I like that idea Richard.............the more voltage the better;)

Interesting that during two days of Tankfest I wasn't aware of any tapping on the Pig at all. Different sort of attendee all together!

It wasn't dusty everywhere, the cleanest bit of the Pig was underneath. Being on a slope with the front wheels on blocks of wood allowed easy access underneath. Not that anybody bothered to look at my winter's work :(

Dsc06041a_zpsd8b48410.jpg

Dsc06036a_zpsacb1213b.jpg

Thanks for the pictures, more would be appreciated! First time I've missed GDSF for over ten years, however other commitments meant that we couldn't fit it in.

It seems like things were moved around a little this year and I did hear that the layout was going to be different. Whilst it also mentioned on Steam Fair FM that things had moved around this year.

Yes the show had a major shuffle up, being a commercial vehicle exhibitor for a long time it has been interesting to watch the growth and change ,not all for the best if you are a preservationist and not a music reveller!

I was amazed at the space the MIlitary section had and their own display ring, whilst in the commercials the number of entries was cut by over 150 vehicles, and we seemed to be pushed right out the way in the farthest corner, thank goodness for bicycles, it was 1.2 miles to the far side of the play pen from commercial camping!!

Whilst the main attraction was a world record steam roller display, a Pickfords heavy haulage vehicle display had been organised, I hope there are some videos of this.

Will try to upload some pictures soon.

... whilst in the commercials the number of entries was cut by over 150 vehicles, and we seemed to be pushed right out the way in the farthest corner, thank goodness for bicycles, it was 1.2 miles to the far side of the play pen from commercial camping!! ...

It took me quite a while even to find the vintage commercial vehicles! I did get the impression that the number of commercials was much smaller this year, so your comment is interesting. I only saw 1 Unipower, for example.

One of the regular traders did comment to me that many of the long-standing established stall-holders are no longer attending due to the very high prices charged for a stall, and the consequent need for very significant sales to break even, and this does seem to be born out by trends over recent years. On the other hand, the volume of "junk" stands is on the increase, with the amount of rubbish for sale rocketing! I suppose that there must be people who do buy some of it! The trader who commented about the cost of attendance did also say that much of the unsold "junk" is simply left behind for the organisers to throw away, but I don't know how true this is.

I thought the MV section was very good this year and very well organised, with some cracking vehicles and great displays.

When we went to Dorset about 2 years ago there was still only 1 unipower although a big commercial line up and a relatively small military line up. If you want to see Unipowers it is worth going to South Cerney. We had 3 there this year and are hoping to have an additional couple next year.

Ed

A few of my photos from Saturday , didn't see much diesel heavy haulage because of the roller record being staged that day ! Roll on next year !:red:

Wow - I like the wood-gas one. Does anyone know what are the tanks on the front are for? I'm trying to work out whether they're housings for lights or they're part of the mechanism.

• 3 months later...
Wow - I like the wood-gas one. Does anyone know what are the tanks on the front are for? I'm trying to work out whether they're housings for lights or they're part of the mechanism.

The tanks are part of the wood gas mechanism. The owner has all the pipes,lids etc to go with this old gmc but is just plucking up courage to link it up and try it!! If you had looked under the bonnet you will find it has no carb fitted but is plumbed up for the wood gas straight to the manifold.

The tanks are part of the wood gas mechanism. The owner has all the pipes,lids etc to go with this old gmc but is just plucking up courage to link it up and try it!! If you had looked under the bonnet you will find it has no carb fitted but is plumbed up for the wood gas straight to the manifold.

That would be interesting too see I wonder if it would pass one of those emission tests :)