Reporting Live from Damyns Hall (MVT) 2013

Had a great time at Damyns Hall, some superb flying displays at this lovely grass airfield. Great to see aircraft displaying with nothing but countryside in the background. A thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing family day out, will definitely be there next year! :-D

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sterling HCS330 according to Vanderveen

That is the HCS 330, much bigger machine than the DDS235.

David ( ACMACK ) an owner in the US, has just started a restoration thread on his one, on the G503 forum.

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=224332&hilit=sterling

I think in the UK it would have to be transported pretty much everywhere, as I've been told that you can't do the Dragon Wagon trick and just pull the rear dual to reduce to a legal width, as the crane tower is pretty much the full width and you'd just be making it less stable. Note that in the image the crane tower, rear body, and rear duals are pretty much the same width. Look how the rear of it overhangs the sides of the trailer it is on. The rear bogie principle is pretty much like the Dragon Wagon, but not the same, as I'm told Sterling were using their own system as far back as the mid 1930's.

Any more Sterling pics ? is that the one that was on Milweb? The front bumper on David's one just looks like a big bit of steel girder, I think if the winch is all there replacing the bumper wouldn't be much or a problem.

Edited by Gordon_M

Reference the Sterling it would be as easy to drive on the road as transport, excluding fuel cost! Once you are overwidth you need to give 48 hours notice. Doesn't matter if it is on a trailer. This is how Antars, Pacifics and Commanders get driven on the road. There is now a fairly straightforward system that you can use for doing the notification. We looked into it when we were considering a vehicle that came in at 10ft wide. (For the record the Sterling is 10ft 1" wide and 12ft tall!).

Ed

Reference the Sterling it would be as easy to drive on the road as transport, excluding fuel cost! Once you are overwidth you need to give 48 hours notice. Doesn't matter if it is on a trailer. This is how Antars, Pacifics and Commanders get driven on the road. There is now a fairly straightforward system that you can use for doing the notification. We looked into it when we were considering a vehicle that came in at 10ft wide. (For the record the Sterling is 10ft 1" wide and 12ft tall!).

Ed

Thanks Ed, that's worth noting I'd guess the other two factors would be speed and fuel The Sterling would have to be as heavy as a Pacific, and as economical on fuel, plus I don't have a top speed noted either.

I reckon a gallon of diesel in the fuel tank of a transporter would get it further and faster than a gallon of petrol in the tank of the Sterling. Nice to know I could have one if that lottery thing kicked in :D

Some more pictures . When it was on the move SAT night it was gven better & sounded great T CORBIN

Oh yes. as they say round here that's a muckle great lump of truck, isn't it?

Given the undoubtedly limited top speed and that damn great boom sticking out the back, I'd guess that it you were driving it down the Queen's highway you'd want to be towing some long but light trailer that let you block out the road distance back to the end of the boom, and load it with reflective signs and warning lights.

Everything I've seen suggests they spent most of their time in the Navy yards, but there are images of mounted crane and tractor versions working on the ALCAN. I don't think space, speed, or fuel consumption would be a problem at either of those location types.