MK 6 Saracen # 603-70-853 progress in Canada

Hello all,

We are doing a full strip restoratoration on our Mk 6 Saracen, and upon removing the rear add-on plates on the doors, we have found in white block letters, on both doors, the word "WATERED"

Its white, approx 4 inches high

Ideas?

Many Thanks

Nick,

The Cold War Collection

Ottawa, Canada

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all,

We are doing a full strip restoratoration on our Mk 6 Saracen, and upon removing the rear add-on plates on the doors, we have found in white block letters, on both doors, the word "WATERED"

Its white, approx 4 inches high

Ideas?

Many Thanks

Nick,

The Cold War Collection

Ottawa, Canada

I'm probably wrong but maybe for a water cannon?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

Our Mk 6 is now fully cleared out of all parts, including all doors and port covers, with just the outer running gear left on so we can move it to the blasters next week. We will be using a soda blast technique, as we can then leave the rubber drive covers on.

We did have to remove a large section of the outer hull add-on armour, above (on the roof) and aft of the Left escape hatch, as water had caused rust between the two layers of steel, and caused some of the welds to snap, as well as push out enough that the center gun port on the left side could not close. Cut carefully, we removed the rusted sections and exposed a large section which included much of the orginal two paint colours, on the edges of the rusted area, which is badly pitted. Water had entered from the weld around the turret plate, and over the years, flowed down inside the steel, all the way to the "belt" between the upper and lower hull sections

The orginal paint was spayed gloss sand , and painted on , by brush, on top of the sand, is British Bronze Green . So, next step. after blasting, and red oxide, will be replacing the sections of hull.

We did find a serial number, as above 603-70-853. but have no idea where to locate further information about this vehicle, or service history, so if anyone has any ideas, it would be most helpful.

Kindest Regards

Nick

The Cold War Collection

Ottawa

Canada

Nick,

Great to hear of progress on the old beast.

Have known that machine for about 15 years or so now, one of two in your town.:bow:

I'm sure you have some low res pictures you could share.

Good luck

R

One of two? I was not aware of another one close by! That's quite interesting. Yes, the whole project is being logged and photographed extensively, and we will be posting a few pictures as we go, but we are developing a "folder" with restoration notes with the correct pictures, which will be produced towards the end of the project. The reasons for this is basically time. Being a 2 man show, with only one dedicated full time on the resto, its tough to actually get time to post and run a proper blog. I remind myself as I write that we have the Scopion power pack / gearbox swap to post still....

I get a shot of her before she goes down the road for blasting and post it.

Cheers

Nick

• 1 month later...

Mecedes Cansec 119.jpg

A couple of early pics. Hull being media blasted (baking soda) the second, slowly adding interior parts. The drive shafts are still in primer, and the green bits are dust covers that are over open fluid ports. The steering line is in just to get a rough fit, it will then be bent to shape, and replicated with new material.

Its an extensive strip out, as one can see

Mecedes Cansec 108.jpg

Mecedes Cansec 116.jpg

Mecedes Cansec 101.jpg

Our 1970 Mk. 6 had a serious issue with water between the original hull, and the up-armour, so we were compelled to remove potions of the add-on on the left side upper hull, and left side roof for weld repair. The sections were removed, shot blasted along with the hull, and the welded back on.

the third picture is of the roof with the add-on removed, showing the orginal hull plate, note the two paint colours, tan, then Bronze Green (and rust....lots of rust!!)

Mecedes Cansec 100.jpg

Nice to see the old girl getting some attention. Nice shed your working in there.

When do you project it will be finished by? Will the Stolly (aka Sir Leakalot) get done next?

R

Aiming for Feb. 2014, and yes, the Stolly is up next as the next "major service" we are pleased that at long last, we have got power to the turret of the CVRT Scorpion this week! (dead short inside the RBJ to hull connector plug end, inside the green insulation)

full power to all systems :-)

• 1 month later...

Frankly the pictures Nick has posted simply do not do justice to the level of rivett counting detail that is being put into this project.

I questioned Nick on the authenticity of the coloured lines and was shown the originals which are exactly as he has done them.

Fantastic work.

Congrats on the progress

R

• 1 month later...

Do you have any pictures of what the faulty port looked like before the armour repair? The same one on my MK5 doesn't close properly, but I'm unsure if the hinge is faulty (it doesn't open all the way either) or if I have the same problem with bulging armour.

Cheers,

Terry