MK 6 Saracen # 603-70-853 progress in Canada

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Do you have photos and details of the glass rebuilds? I need to do mine but don't know where to start.

Cheers,

Terry

Details, yes, photos, no...it was one of those jobs that once you get into, well, sometimes it gets done and its over before you realize.

So, Glass blocks;

Basically, I had impact marks on the outside of three of them, and one, both sides. ...plus rust! I ground off one corner of the steel box, and peeled back the steel off the glass, hard to do, as its bonded with a rubber material. Once off, I removed all this rubber with a blade.

You will find that there are several layers of glass, about 1/2 inch thick, and on the outside facing pane, a thin glass pane, about 1/8 inch thick. On one block, I removed this (it was bonded to the rest of the block by two sided adhesive clear film. Once this thin pane was taken off, the block looked clear

On the other blocks, there was more damage, with the outer facing 1/2 panes smashed, working slowly, I managed to separate the broken panes from the rest of the block, cleaned the face, and replaced with a new 1/2 glass pane made locally to match the dimentions of the original. One could do all the panes this way, to remove any age realted conditions, but given the work, you could lay up a new one faster with new glass panes and clear adhesive film.

For the steel, I took the old part to a fabricator, and had him bend up strips in a the box shape, used black silicon to replicate the rubber that was on the block, and once dried, lightly clamped

the block and tack welded the edge of the new "box" take you time welding, just a few tacks, cool down and repeat. Grind smooth when finished.

fun project!

cheers

Nick

B-80 Top End going back on!

Oh, for those contemplating this....the Intake Valve Train is in two halves, so be sure to secure before removal...lest things fly in both directions. You can see the new # 7 Piston clearly in the first picture, Many thanks to William Bannister for the Parts (Piston, Mk. 3 Rebuild Kit) sent to us here in Canada in record time!!

B-80 Mk 3 L top end 003.jpg

B-80 Mk 3 L top end 001.jpg

B-80 Mk 3 L top end 002.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Nick. Your team has done a great job on the Saracen. What a difference from when you showed me around CWC back in December. Look forward to another visit and having a first hand look.

Best Regards, Terry.

Edited by 61Ferret

• 4 weeks later...
Looks Grand.

Will you be getting a flashing blue light? Do you think it might have been fitted with one?

R

Thats a great question! I could have been, as there are mounts that are not part of the Kremlin fit up that remain "unknown"

nice to add one though!

hey, did you see the LR FC posting I sent you yesterday?

Cheers

N

Nick,

There has been much discussion about electronic ignition, especially with the 8 cylinder B series engines on the thread about a chap and his 432 Mk1.

Will you be venturing down this route?

Frankly I am a firm believer in the conversion.

R

Nick,

There has been much discussion about electronic ignition, especially with the 8 cylinder B series engines on the thread about a chap and his 432 Mk1.

Will you be venturing down this route?

Frankly I am a firm believer in the conversion.

R

Hi Robin,

We've had great success with the electronic ignition, so we will be converting the Saracen, and when we roll the Stolly in for a re-fresh after that, we will be converting that one as well.

Nice Fat blue spark !

Cheers

Nick