MK 6 Saracen # 603-70-853 progress in Canada

Looking really good, although I'm not too sure about the accuracy of that new commander's chair :P

Can I get a couple of pics of your hydraulic pump and tyre pump? Also, what adhesive do you plan on using for your spall liners; a couple of mine need re-gluing.

Cheers,

Terry

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking really good, although I'm not too sure about the accuracy of that new commander's chair :P

Can I get a couple of pics of your hydraulic pump and tyre pump? Also, what adhesive do you plan on using for your spall liners; a couple of mine need re-gluing.

Cheers,

Terry

Much more confort than that little motorcycle type seat, thats for sure :-)

here are some shots for you!

air  hyd pump saracen 003.jpg

are these what you are looking for, detail wise?

For the spall liner on the rear doors, just an RTV silicone and then sandwich with the outer door armor, for the inside padding, we have not decided yet, as we are still looking at foam types. What we intend to do is get a foam core, and wrap it with the correct outer cover and then glue in place, but, we are looking for a good non-hydroscopic type foam, to avoid moisture retention, like the original did, and hopefully avoid rust. Once we have the foam, then we will select the adhesive to match. I'll keep you posted!

cheers

Nick

air  hyd pump saracen 001.jpg

air  hyd pump saracen 002.jpg

I'll be interested to see how you get on with the trim. For my Abbot I'm using a standard medium-weight upholstery foam, but taking care to wrap the Trakmark round the underside so it can't peel away like the original. I'm using Evostick Impact adhesive, but not in its impact mode. Getting the holes right is a real pain, and the more dimensionally stable the foam is, the better. This is the first panel I did, I like to think I'm improving!

IMG_4174aw.jpg

IMG_4178aw.jpg

IMG_4181aw.jpg

Andy

When we had to fit the Trakmark padding in Workshops, the recommended adhesive was Dunlop Thixofix, which is an industrial grade. Here is a link to a supplier;

http://www.thegluepeople.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=17

Richard,

Thats really terrific work you are doing, and the process you mentioned will certainly help us. We have no source of the Trakmark here in Canada, and the sources in the UK, I have not been able to get a reply from, so we will end up using material that is as close as possible to the era, something you might find in a CVRT, same colour, but smooth. We figured what we would do is make cardboard templates on the hull, then transfer the hole pattern to the foam. Thanks for all the advice on the adhesives!

Cheers

Nick

Yes, I made up cardboard templates first. It's a long and tedious job but the results are worth it. Trakmark is available on eBay from Woods in Devon, but the postage may be an issue as an 80 foot roll is a two man lift.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Well done guys, I am afraid my restoration is mechanical and only the paint work that needs it! I do wish I had one of those cameras that fit on the head as putting things back together after a couple of years off is taxing my memory of where things come from! The detail I want always is just off image or behind something. Interesting to see your hydraulic pump as mine has extra mounts to the side wall. Also the air intake to the air pump is just a short bit of pipe... no filter.

• 2 weeks later...
Well done guys, I do wish I had one of those cameras that fit on the head as putting things back together after a couple of years off is taxing my memory of where things come from! .

Boy am I in the same boat as you! 'Took my ferret apart back in '08. Now into the reassembly phase of the resto and I've run into the "now where does this go?" road block more then once. Kind of wish I had: a) a second ferret, complete/still together to look at or: B) the Brit manuals were more like their American counterparts -very picture heavy with lots of detail. Or C) one of each of the above :cool2:.

Regards,

Matt

Boy am I in the same boat as you! 'Took my ferret apart back in '08. Now into the reassembly phase of the resto and I've run into the "now where does this go?" road block more then once. Kind of wish I had: a) a second ferret, complete/still together to look at or: B) the Brit manuals were more like their American counterparts -very picture heavy with lots of detail. Or C) one of each of the above :cool2:.

Regards,

Matt

Hi Matt,

We have a nice complete Mk 2/3 here , so if you need any pictures taken of details that escape you, please let us know, and I will post them up for you. THE ONLY saving grace for us is that we photograph everything in strip downs, and keep "field notes" and drawings, we'd never get it back if we didn't, thats certain!

Cheers

Nick

CWC Canada

There is a barb on the carburettor, towards the front of the engine, or on the manifold just in front of it. I don't have a good picture, but I'll be able to get you one on Saturday morning if you haven't worked it out.

Cheers,

Terry

Terry,

If you can do a photo that would be great, I don't have a vacuum tank so guess it was all taken out and blanked off on the manifold. Onwards and upwards at least ever bit that goes back on gives me more space in the shed!

Sarrynoeng.jpg

Edited by Rich C

The vac tank is the same as the one fitted to the Austin Champ and probably half a dozen other MVs from that period. I've removed mine as the pressed on barb has broken off and was causing a major vacuum leak and related poor running. Once I fix it, I'll put it back in, but as I don't use the windscreen nor the wipers, it is a lower priority for me at the moment.

WP_20131117_009.jpg

Cheers,

Terry