MK 6 Saracen # 603-70-853 progress in Canada

Hi Terry,

most of the rust issues occured in the plates to the left of the turret, the turret was fairly water tight between the plates, so there was no binding. We did have problems closing the left forward and center gun ports, but once the plate was repaired, then this issue went away. Basically, to get at the rust issue, we used a hand cutting wheel to remove the outer plates, shot blasted the inside / outside of both plates, red oxide coated same, then re-welded.

Mecedes Cansec 100.jpg

before...

Mecedes Cansec 101.jpg

outer plate removed (note original paint under out skin)

Mecedes Cansec 099.jpg

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
What would be the story behind that?

Bargearse was an overdubbed skit from a 90s Australian television show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Late_Show_(Australian_TV_series)#Bargearse

You can look up episodes on YouTube if you're interested.

She calls it that because, well, it has a wide rear end, it's kinda tough but silly, and it amuses her :)

Cheers,

Terry

Oh wow, EOD you say?

Have you read "Fetch Felix"?

Lots of scope for that usage

I suppose you will add a wheelbarrow on the front and accompany it with a Transit van?

R

Not yet, but the book is on my never ending "list" of things to read. We hope to equip the Saracen with the correct bits, and have it as an example of "been delivered to the lines about a week ago" look to it, so prety much rebuild fresh, but with the proper unit insignia and such installed.

I have found some research showing that some of the ex-Libyan Saracens were delivered to NI still in the Tan / Stone paint, and were used there until there were painted. We know that ours was destined for export originally as a Mk 3, then painted BBG, and then up-armored after, re-painted BBG, and had Kremlin 2 plates mounted, then finally painted in IR Green...so, yes, lots of possibilities to explore

thanks for the book suggestion!

Nick

Does anyone have the Kremlin kit installed on their Saracen? They're bulky and as ugly as hell, but I'd really like one on mine for some reason.

we are going to lay one up as an add-on once the resto has been done, so we will keep you posted on this project if you like. We will most likely use alloy, to keep the weight down

cheers

Nick

CWC Canada

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...