RAF Land Rover tilt colour?

XM496

53AM78 I think that might be the nearest to yours - go to FLICKR do a search using RAF mountain rescue loads of series Landies several AM reg lightweights but not in your batch. some wonderfull local conversions for the DMRT lads in the middle east !! warning get a bug mug of tea before you start !!

In the meantime back to the 2A see attached

Series 2a.jpg

Series 2a 2.jpg

It's also worth bearing in mind that the regulations were only set in stone for home based vehicles, in overseas commands they could be countermanded by AOCs-in-C to meet local requirements.

Those pics all seem to be taken somewhere a lot sunnier than the UK, somewhere the canvas would fade quite quickly so it's entirely possible that local orders were not to waste time and materials repainting. Unfortunately I'm away from work for a while otherwise I'd have a couple of pics of blue-grey tilt Land Rovers.

Edit: Just found this picture on my laptop of a decidedly grey canvas tilt:

037_zps7db1aa0c.jpg

Edited by RAFMT

I wonder if that shot was at RAF Cardington ??

The doors do look on that sort of scale , a bit big for a S1 Landie. ISTR a Forum member bragging he had the contract to open & shut them. Now who was it ??

• 4 years later...
Here we go lads its a Series 2 or 2a this is how the tilts looked with the blue grey emulsion; hope this helps

TED

Hi, does anybody know what's written on the back of the Land Rover on the first Picture? It looks like "Vcran" or something. What does it mean?

Regards, winkle :-)

Hi, does anybody know what's written on the back of the Land Rover on the first Picture? It looks like "Vcran" or something. What does it mean?

Regards, winkle :-)

Looks like T/CRAN - RAF Training Command/RAF Cranwell.

10 68

• 4 years later...
13 hours ago, Paul Drake said:

Speaking from experience the RAF Museum does not hold vehicle records. Try the Merlin archive or

RLC museum.

Are you certain the RAF Museum does not hold vehicle records  ?  - they have twice provided me with LR info.     Merlin Archive will provide for  RAF  (Tri-Service , from abt. 1982/83  ,  VRM's  KA  on)

RLC    ,  I believer - would only be able to give. info. in very rare cases of a Army vehicle transfer to RAF.

Here is a nice example of a RAF military spec with a blue hood. Note this vehicle is fitted with both Warner and NATO trailer connectors, so that might date production or DIS.

Not sure what this vehicle is doing, but the communication equipment looks commercial rather than military. Is V/38 related to the V bomber force?

image.png.ab74b686a215218364ef60c2e2a922e9.png

9 minutes ago, B series said:

Here is a nice example of a RAF military spec with a blue hood. Note this vehicle is fitted with both Warner and NATO trailer connectors, so that might date production or DIS.

Not sure what this vehicle is doing, but the communication equipment looks commercial rather than military. Is V/38 related to the V bomber force?

I imagine that being 12volt would rule out military radios too.

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies for my absence, had a lot of issues to deal with thanks to the last couple of years 🙄

84AA73 was received from Rover 28/1/65 and went into storage at Cosford.

Assigned from Cosford to Transport Command, 11/2/65

Left service while at Benson on 15/3/73

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2021 at 8:05 PM, B series said:

It was operating in Norfolk with the experimental Kestrel Jumping Jets ( Harriers) and this is a still from the excellent 1965  Look at Life short film ' The Jumping Jets' which can be seen below.

There are a bunch of other interesting RAF vehicles operating with the jets and apparently the German test  pilot  is  WW2  Luftwaffe fighter ace Gerhard Barkhorn

2021-12-23 (11).png

Edited by XS650
clarity