HGV renewals and CPC

I understand you need 35 hrs. tuition in a classroom, spread over 5 days whenever you can fit it in, about £80 a day, take it all at once or one day at a time, there is no pass or fail certificate but you have to attend before September 2014 and if you don't do it you will not be allowed to drive HGV commercially after then.

I hope that's correct, someone will be along to shoot me down soon if not!

Edited by snort

The CPC I have is because I drive a PCV, however, the it also covers ALL the C & D categories so the course is generic. I did mine on the job, but I know Dave Ives did his so he will know more about commercial providers. If your main job is driving anything in the C or D catgory in a proffesional role, you must now have a valid Driver's CPC. There was a 5 year grace for those who held the catrgories before the the introduction, that has now run out. As Snort says you just have to attend! And it is currently classroom based, ie a waste of space! The result is a little blue card like the solid driving licence, however changes appear to be happening there as well.

Due to time you'll have to do the 35 hours in one hit, then it can be spread over 1 day a year, as long as by the time of renewal you have been registered the 35 hours.

Edited by Tony B

Rob

The way to approach this to google a selection of course providers in your area and decide what you want to do? as not all course providers provide the same training courses.

If you want to do 5 x 1 day courses that will enable you to qualify for the dirver CPC then you take what you consider to be the 5 courses suitable for you. If on the other hand you may want to do something that may benifit you and give you an additional driver qualification that you may not already hold then you could choose training such as CPC Lorry Loader (HIAB) or Carriage of Dangerous goods by road etc. They maybe a bit more expensive but at the end of the day what do you want out of the CPC training

Thanks for the advice. I'm curoius about the 'commercial' side of this as although I took my class 1 in 1986 I've never used it commercially. It's only ever been borrowing a truck to move a vintage tractor and similar so I doubt I ever will go commercial. I don't even have a tacho card as I've never had a truck new enough! That said, what enquiries I have made have suggested that if I don't take it I will lose the hgv entitlement completely and have to start all over again. My renewal is due April '14.

Rob.

That said, what enquiries I have made have suggested that if I don't take it I will lose the hgv entitlement completely and have to start all over again. My renewal is due April '14.

Rob.

I don't believe that to be the case. Your entitlement will continue, assuming you pass the medical but you will not be able to drive professionally.

I don't believe that to be the case. Your entitlement will continue, assuming you pass the medical but you will not be able to drive professionally.

Adrian is quite correct, you will keep your entitlement but will only be able to drive Private HGV and not for financial gain.

If you want to be paid for driving then you will need to do your CPC ! However you cannot fail but you must do the training EVERY five years.

Adrian is quite correct, you will keep your entitlement but will only be able to drive Private HGV and not for financial gain.

If you want to be paid for driving then you will need to do your CPC ! However you cannot fail but you must do the training EVERY five years.

To be more exact, your MAIN job must be driving. Our engineers have D licences to move the vehicles to and from workshop gagrage, and dont need a CPC. If however, as one does, he drives the vehicles 'In Service' with passengers, he has to have his CPC. Both parts of the Driving Licence and the CPC card must now be carried when driving commecrcially.

• 4 weeks later...
To be more exact, your MAIN job must be driving. Our engineers have D licences to move the vehicles to and from workshop gagrage, and dont need a CPC. If however, as one does, he drives the vehicles 'In Service' with passengers, he has to have his CPC. Both parts of the Driving Licence and the CPC card must now be carried when driving commecrcially.

So, going on that, does that mean if i had a low loader primarily for moving my own toys around and i don't drive commercially, and a friend said can you move my vehicle from A to B for a few quid would that be ok? because its not your main job.

Richard

"For a few Quid" Or a drink or a bale of hay for the horses these are all considered commercial/ reward.

Also this could well invalidate your insurance so not only will you risk being done for not having a licence but also not having insurance.

Possibly if you have an accident then because your licence is not valid then you may not be insured either.

The Drivers cpc is not just a card but it is logged by VOSA too.

I feel that the EU and our government are makeing it more and more difficult for us to drive HGVs for non commercial reasons.

Insurance is tricky. The rules were relaxed some years ago to encourage car sharing, by allowing passengers to make a 'contribution'. The whole thing is a ball of Fluff anyway. classroom based no exam turn up pay exorbitant fee get blue card.

Well summed up, until recently it was possible to take the same module 5 times over and it would still count as 35 hours training. I have wasted two Sundays and £100 to achieve two modules and have learned the sum total of nothing. There was also the question of the training counting as other work and having to take an extra rest day to compensate but as we were all self employed and not getting paid it was not classed as work.

The hire/reward issue is even more complicated and involves an operators licence and having an employee who holds a full fat CPC.

Now if you were to purchase a friend's vehicle and show a relevant transaction then sell it back after moving it...... You could even claim you had bought it in good faith and were returning it because it was not as described.

Edited by radiomike7

How about if you set off to move your friends vehicle with a full fuel tank, move said vehicle, friend accompanies you to the filling station and pays the bill to refill the fuel tank, no profit made just covering the cost of the move as clearly that will be the biggest expense. He can then always drop you a few quid to cover all the other expenses such as tyre wear and maintenance consumables.

I did my Cpc modules last year with a couple of mates

They both received their little cards within a couple of weeks of completing the last module.

Not me though.

The CPC card is administered by DSA not DVLA and because i still have a paper license not a photocard, they won`t give me the card.

They have my digital photo on my tacho card which also shows my driver number.

Why should i pay £38.00 to have a photocard driving license which is only valid for 10 years when the old paper one has done me proud for 25 years.

Its just more hassle on top of an irrelevant course.

ive been driving hgv since leaving school 26 years and still doing so .this cpc ect is making me think of changing my career because they are changing the rules and regs all the time and costing the driver more and more ££ all the time i would be earning more not working i think :(

i got my C licence last year, with code 95 on it.

to obtain that code 95 i did a loading test, that for back pain issues i was not allowed to do, and a driving test that looked like a trail set out.fun, but to be honest, worthless.

now i sit here with my new profession... doing nothing as i got told i am not allowed to sit behind the wheel all day (concrete mixer etc, all non driver loading jobs)

nice..