RARE photo of a Ford Model T in British Army service from 1920 in Palestine.

DesertBlooms88

hi

Here are three photo's which will be of interest to Model T enthusiasts.

They are from the Library of Congress website. The first one which is at the Jaffa Gate in Jerusalem is pretty good resolution. All photo's have the LOC link so you can view and download the original .

RARE photo of a British Army Ford Model T vehicle - EXCELLENT study of British soldiers ( Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own Yorkshire Regiment , later The Green Howards) with Lewis machine gun posted at Jaffa Gate,Palestine - circa April 8th 1920

image 1.jpg

British soldiers  ( Quite possibly from the Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own Yorkshire Regiment , later The Green Howards) with British Army Ford Model T vehicle with Lewis machine gun  in Palestine - circa   1920

image 2.jpg

British soldiers  ( Quite possibly from the Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own Yorkshire Regiment , later The Green Howards) with British Army Ford Model T vehicle with Lewis machine gun  in Palestine - circa   1920

image 3.jpg

Thankyou for taking the time to look .

Any information is welcome.

DesertBlooms88

You are certainly on the money regarding the clarity. Thanks for sharing. Pity that chap is standing in front of the first part of the number on the rear of the vehicle. This Ford is "bare bones" as far as the body is concerned as most of the ford vans, LAMB fords and LCP vehicles in Palestine (images actually sighted by the writer in the past 6 years) during the War were much better endowed with body metal etc. This one is similar to the earlier versions seen in Egypt during the campaign against the Senussi. Rod

Edited by BSM

The black radiator and the design of the LH mudguard, suggests to me that the vehicle is a 1917 or older model. It would appear, from the damage to the LH mudguard, that it could be the same vehicle in all three photos.

The MG post behind the front seat is interesting - generally, the light car patrol design put the mount just to the rear of the firewall/dash. The original photo is very well preserved and a little zoom brings up a few interesting items, like the fire extinguisher in front of the passenger in the first pic.

Thanks for finding these pics and displaying them.

Jack

Edited by mazungumagic
Second thoughts

Glad you joined us, Jack! I have several photos showing Lewis guns mounted behind the passenger seat. As a general rule,

Vnckers guns seem to be behind the dash as you mentioned. Wonder if there was a practical reason for this difference?

Looking forward to seeing your LPC car finished . . .

Bosun Al

Glad you joined us, Jack! I have several photos showing Lewis guns mounted behind the passenger seat. As a general rule,

Vnckers guns seem to be behind the dash as you mentioned. Wonder if there was a practical reason for this difference?

Looking forward to seeing your LPC car finished . . .

Bosun Al

G'day Bosun Al,

Thanks for the welcome though I've been on other areas on this site, for a while. I'm also restoring a Champ and have my efforts recorded at

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?28539-The-Restoration-of-Austin-Champ-1824

I've attached a picture below of a Model T from the Australian Light Car Patrol on which I am basing my restoration of the LCP vehicle (BTW, it will be numbered LC 303). All the photos I've seen of this black radiator era (ie 1917 plus), seem to have a Lewis mounted in front of the passenger.

ModelTFordLtCarPtl0145-1.jpg

The earlier vehicles often seem to have had a Vickers pointing rearwards.

In thinking about the MG post, I've come to realise that these weapons, weighing around 30lbs in the case of the Lewis, would have needed to be solidly anchored. Obviously, the Vickers would be heavier.

I'm still weighing up options for the MG Post but reckon it would have been bolted to the LH chassis rail which would take all the vertical weight and secured to the dash to prevent it moving laterally.

Jack

The Flickr link with each photo will also show the Library of Congress ' original ' V LARGE MB file link, which can be downloaded.

Found another photo of a Ford Model T in Palestine circa 1916

Ford Model T ( rear ) in Palestine circa 1916 - Yemenite Chiefs. Invited by Jamal [Cemal] Pasha to visit the Front, 1916.

hmvf72.jpg

A close up of the Lewis Gun mount on first picture in this thread.

RARE photo of a British Army Ford Model T vehicle - EXCELLENT study of British soldiers ( Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own Yorkshire Regiment , later The Green Howards) with Lewis machine gun posted at Jaffa Gate,Palestine  - circa April 8th 1920

hmvf73.jpg

hmvf74.jpg

hmvf75.jpg

DesertBlooms88

Edited by DesertBlooms88

Thanks for the images

The mount on the first image appears to have a pivot around or just above the centre line of the gun

Where as the other two images have a high pivot so under slinging the gun ?

Are these different vehicles?

I am interested so I can make a correct mount for my own gun.

This is how I have it at the moment, not very secure on the road!

Lewis Mount.jpg

Tom

Edited by Charawacky

Thanks for the images

The mount on the first image appears to have a pivot around or just above the centre line of the gun

Where as the other two images have a high pivot so under slinging the gun ?

Are these different vehicle's ?

At the start of this thread there are three photo's of Ford Model T vehicles and i have shown a close up of each.

I take it you are only interested in the mounting for Ford Model T ?

There are other photo's i have which show them on differant vehicles you see.

DesertBlooms88

Edited by DesertBlooms88