D-Day Museum broken into

rosie

Not that there is a 'good' side to this at all but .....it sounds like only the Poppy Money was stolen???

Yes I know that is quite bad enough but it could have been worse....they could have trashed & vandalised a load of exhibits and stolen others to be sold for a pittance of what they are truly worth ....

...........and I don't just mean their financial value either.

ironically........I read an article in a Sunday newspaper t'other day that said apparently burglary is now a 'go soft' crime as far as the Courts are concerned.........not encouraging.

Not that there is a 'good' side to this at all but .....it sounds like only the Poppy Money was stolen???

Yes I know that is quite bad enough but it could have been worse....they could have trashed & vandalised a load of exhibits and stolen others to be sold for a pittance of what they are truly worth ....

...........and I don't just mean their financial value either.

ironically........I read an article in a Sunday newspaper t'other day that said apparently burglary is now a 'go soft' crime as far as the Courts are concerned.........not encouraging.

I know what you mean, it could have been worse.

But this being a family forum stops me from typing what I think about the thiefs...

My Mother used to work in a shop in Reading in the 60s and 70s. It was quite frequent for charity boxes to go 'missing' and eventually she resorted to chaining the charity boxes to the counter.

I had a repeat experience when some Poppy boxes were emptied at work in Newbury in the 1990s - we think we knew the thief but couldn't prove it. He died of a drug overdose a few years later. No-one felt sorry for him.

Hanging is to good for this kind of SCUM........

Oh I don't know.......I'd hang 'em by a very tender part of their anatomy with a very thin rope.>:(

Sorry but I tend to agree with Ray here. Why waste good rope or cheese wire?

very sad how low lifes patrol the streets these days. bring back national service and see how brave they really are ! :-|

Kind of agree with this and have never served. I am assuming 5 years in ATC does not count.

However I was brought up and taught the following.

1. Respect is something you earn.

2. If you want something you work to either earn it or get the money to buy it.

3. If you cannot afford it wait until you can.

4. Treat others how you expect to be treated.

5. People have opinions, you might not agree with them, bu

6. If t youn are probably both wrong.

7. If you take something you should give something back.

8. If you do something you should not do not expect to avoid the consequences.

We live in a free world/country, however I seem to feel it has become to free.

Stealing is disrespectful, especially from charities.

I also believe that soldiers (broad term) do not cause wars they strive to end or prevent them. They even make the ultimate sacrifice for it. Which is why we are where we are to day.

The good part that is where we can freely express our feeling, belifs etc.

Mike

If there is a good side to this story it is that the local news the other evening reported that following the break-in and damage there has been a huge influx of support and help from the local community to the museum to get it back together and ready for opening. They do say that there's no such thing as bad publicity, and the story has certainly raised the profile of the museum.

I also have no doubt that there will be those in the local community who know exactly who committed the break in and they will be caught; there does seem to be an overwhelming revulsion at their cowardly, desipcable, and probably drug-fueled actions.