7th Armored Tour in Holland

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunday 7th October.

7,30 breakfast and then it was break camp for the last time.

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012186.jpg

At about 14.00 hours we lined the vehicles up for loading. The Dutch army were so impressed by the whole group that they actually supplied 8 low loaders for the return trip to the port. So all of the vehicles were loaded and the crews went in a coach also provided by the army.

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012187.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012191.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012193.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012197.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012198.jpg

It was good to meet up with old friends on this trip from all over the continent, like Olaf, Tim and Thomas Plus others whose names slip my memory from Holland .Martin Dusek, His brother and their team from Czech Republic..

21.30 Sail from Hook of Holland to Harwich

Monday 8th October

Loaded My Sherman on the lowloader then rode back the Copemans farm where we said our good byes.

My crew, Jason, Jamie , Pete Eakers and myself then travelled back to Bristol in my car.

The whole trip was well organised and I would like to express my thanks to those who spent many hours making it possible.

I can recommend anyone who is interested in this type of event to contact the "2nd Armored in Europe" if they want to attend the next big trip in August 2014.

Jim.

Re-enacters must be nuts, getting rained on and sleeping in puptents...:-D

Good to hear you had a good trip Jim.

Hi Olaf,the trip was great thanks and good to meet up with you again. Yes it was a bit wet wasnt it, still that little potbellied stove I took helped dry a few clothes out.

Jim.

Love the way you guys just drove your tanks to the cemetery.

Hi Jack, the whole trip was about the vehicles moving on the roads and tracks etc not just sitting around as static displays. During the trip we had no police with us at any time just our own outriders.

Its probably going to upset some folks ,but once you have done this sort of event the UK static shows are a bit boring they just do my head in. Head down waiting for the flak.

Jim.

Hi Olaf,the trip was great thanks and good to meet up with you again. Yes it was a bit wet wasnt it, still that little potbellied stove I took helped dry a few clothes out.

Jim.

Hi Jim

I enjoyed the warmth of the V1.

Also thanks for the tea, crisps and company.

To be honest for me getting wet, tired, muscle aches and being sleep deprived was a highlight of the trip! :nut:

I voluntered to join the troops as a medic for the battles and patrols.

I could have stayed in bed (in the back of a friends GMC) instead of the boattrip at 06:45 in the rain.

But then again, I joned the trip for the experiences and got my share.

And most of the people attending slept in puptents or under a canvas sheet from a halftrack while being rained on during the drives in open halftracks, jeeps, on motorcycles or tanks, my hats off to them!

It gave me even more respect for those men who endured bad weather in the war not even having a idea what battle must have been.

Here some of my pics;

Copyright by Olaf.

Don't publish or repost without permission.

IMG_7418Small.jpg

IMG_7419Small.jpg

IMG_7476Small.jpg

IMG_7493Small.jpg

IMG_7498Small.jpg

IMG_7512Small.jpg

IMG_7552Small.jpg

IMG_7557Small.jpg

IMG_7648Small.jpg

IMG_7449Small.jpg

IMG_7448Small.jpg

Edited by Enigma

:):):):)

What a fantastic trip , everything about it looks incredible , the vehicles , the uniforms, the route ,the history etc ... :D.....very emotional in parts I would imagine too........

Regarding the GIs bodies found in the woods after the war brings home the incredibly solemn job the Graves Registration fellas did too.......in many respects those boys were heroes too really and often very much overlooked....

....It can't have been very enjoyable wandering the woods and fields for months after the war .......armed with roughly drawn maps of where chap's had been hastily buried then having the sad job of removing what you could find of them for formal burial......:-(...

.In Europe it must have been bad enough... but I've just read 'War in the Wilderness' and the War Graves units are mentioned ....just how they set about wandering the endless trackless wastes of the thick Burmese jungle doing that job can only to be imagined ............but they did.. and thankfully managed to give many missing soldiers a decent burial............

If your interested in US ww2 grave registration you should buy the book: Crosses in the wind by Joseph James Shomon.

He was the Co of the 611th graveregistration company and he tells the story about his unit from Normandy to Germany.

The greatest effort he achieved was the construction of Magraten Cemetry.

This book is a MUST.

Grtz Moos

Its probably going to upset some folks ,but once you have done this sort of event the UK static shows are a bit boring they just do my head in. Head down waiting for the flak.

Jim.

Have to say I agree Jim, after travelling round Normandy during the D-Day celebrations in the jeep a couple of times and doing A+E both times (not quite the same as your trip I know ;) ) sitting in a field twiddling your thumbs isn't the most inspiring way to spend a weekend.

By the way nice pics Olaf.

If your interested in US ww2 grave registration you should buy the book: Crosses in the wind by Joseph James Shomon.

He was the Co of the 611th graveregistration company and he tells the story about his unit from Normandy to Germany.

This book is a MUST.

Grtz Moos

On my way to Amazon as we speak Sir !

I have the absolute respect for the job done by those chaps .....also...

My partners Grandad was a Medic/Stretcher Bearer through Northern Europe after D Day. I sadly never got to meet him but going on the few stories I've heard via her family , those men witnessed absolute horror on a scale we can't even begin to imagine and on more or less every day& night of their 'war' ...there was no 'glory' or 'flag waving' for what they did......just endless months of bitterly sad work.... Respect to them all .

PS: oof! only 2 on Amazon at the moment . :( ..one at 90 quid and t'other at 120 quid!.best I put it on my Xmas wish list and see what I get !

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

Jim.

Don't think you will get any flak Jim - its a valid point.

When I owned a vehicle my baptism of fire was on one of Clive Stevens events - Gathering of Eagles - it was a classic and we done many many miles over the weekend. It was rather inspiring and lead on to bigs things like A&E.

I knew then that shows weren't for me. I used to attend the Great Dorset Steam Fair alot with my Shepherds Hut and we used to thrash on one of thrashing drums that was owned by a chum. We were static but we were active working the ricks etc etc.

It is horses for courses but sitting in a field never really done it for me. I would never attend W&P unless it was for business as it is just a 'show' on speed - just more static vehicles in a bigger field.

The hobby, like most, is very insular - same set up - same vehicles at different shows. It only advertises to itself. CMV write up on A&E was fair and didn't miss the point of taking our hobby to the public and the media coverage was fantastic and coming into Dorchester with thousands of people waiting just for us underlined that point.

One of the objectives of A&E was to TAKE our hobby to the public and on both occassions we delivered on that - 2012 more so than 2010. And yes it has brought more people into our hobby and history. I have many accounts of people attending W&P because of A&E and that to me is a result.

The UK hobby could and should learn a lot from the guys of the 2nd Armoured because they deliver on all levels. And A&E could certainly learn from them and should. That said, those attending 2nd Armour pay to do so - just to cover the costs and I know that IF A&E was to happen again then it would cost up to £35,000 to do so and would need many more people involed than just me.

But for me, this is where our focus of our hobby and history should be. Doesn't appeal to everyone but time isn't on our side - these vehicles will not be able to run forever.

With the 70 anniversary of D-Day soon upon us then the hobby needs to 'step up' nation wide and take our hobby and world history onto the roads. There should be commemeration convoys every weekend - now that would be a great mark of respect, wouldn't it?

JB.

:):):):)

What a fantastic trip , everything about it looks incredible , the vehicles , the uniforms, the route ,the history etc ... :D.....very emotional in parts I would imagine too........

Hi Bob thanks for your kind comments, my pictures and words cant do the trip justice but they can give you some idea of what we did.

Jim.

I would just like to say that for those who think that I have loads of money to do this sort of trip. I can assure you the whole thing cost me less than £400.

Everyone who went on the trip paid the same money, £300, whether you went as a foot soldier with an M1 carbine, a Halftrack or a tank. This £300 paid by each person funded the whole trip, ferries, low loaders, fuel for all of the vehicles, food etc. In theory you could have gone with no money in your pocket at all

The other £100 I spent was on fuel to and from Gavins and a few JD and cokes.

Jim.

I would just like to say that for those who think that I have loads of money to do this sort of trip. I can assure you the whole thing cost me less than £400.

..................and a few JD and cokes.

Jim.

Now that does sound like my kind of holiday :-D.........especially the last bit :cool2:

This book is a MUST.

Grtz Moos

Just ordered mine, got it at a bargain for €32 including shipping!! (from deslegte)

Everyone who went on the trip paid the same money, £300, whether you went as a foot soldier with an M1 carbine, a Halftrack or a tank. This £300 paid by each person funded the whole trip, ferries, low loaders, fuel for all of the vehicles, food etc. In theory you could have gone with no money in your pocket at all

The other £100 I spent was on fuel to and from Gavins and a few JD and cokes.

Jim.

Thats unbelieveable value, the whole experience must have been fantastic, I think that you may have ignited a few sparks.

That looked like a great trip Jim, and the fact that you all went as a tactical role "semi tactical" in my eyes shows more respect for what the old soldiers had to put up with during the war. So thank you for that. I think a group of jeeps flying through a village with there klaxon whaling is disrespectful and a bit of a joke. But thats my few on the hole thing.

Hi when is the next tour/trip? I would love to come with my own vehicle is that possible? Bill.

In 2014 (aug/sep) a Northern France/Belgium trip is planned.

They want to put the emphasis on Armor and try to cut down on jeeps.

What kind of vehicle you got?

another point i think on the trip as a whole , this type of trip can only be organized, run and attended by like minded people , they must leave there gripes and moans at home .spending a holiday in the rain sleeping in a damp tent ,no hot water unless you boil some ,smelling` living and eating in a field is not for everyone ...all that said it draws a common bond out in you with all the others ,and that what makes the trip right ....one happy family and the friendship grows from that , at trip with focus, friendship and fun , vehicles history what more could you want , thanks to all that went talking point of the year for me

jg