7th Armored Tour in Holland

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was there a reason for the tilts on both GMCs being lowered at the front? Quite unusual. Copying a wartime photo maybe? Begining to look as if this was an accurate re-enactment of wartime movements.

Hi Tony, the front 2 bows of the GMCs are at the correct height, the 3 rear bows that were raised when the trucks were parked up to allow the kitchen staff more head room. They had pins made to fit into holes drilled in the wood when the bow was lifted.

Jim

Great stuff Jim - did you have any issues with the traffic and public or did you have enough DR's?

Hi Jack, we had I think about 9 or 10 Harleys doing the marshalling, Tim Sparkes, "Sparky" was in charge and he ran a very slick operation. We had no trouble with either traffic or the public also there were no police with the convoy at any time.

Jim.

Tuesday 2nd October

7.00 start, packed all our gear and ate some of the rations. I had a WW2 Coleman twin burner petrol stove which we boiled water on for coffee and tea , before this trip the stove had never been used and was still in its dated and sealed cardboard box. Actually it was a shame to use it but then needs must.

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012084.jpg

Before the trip I had made a rear bustle rack for the Sherman so we could carry all our tents and kit etc. When I looked at old photos of the 7th Armored tanks I noticed one had a small set of steps attached to the bustle rack , so I did the same and it proved very useful.

Shermanbustlerackandsteps003.jpg

Shermanbustlerackandsteps002.jpg

7tharmoredsherman3.jpg

After leaving the woods we formed up and drove to a small field, there we were told we would be going across open ground towards another wood which we could see in the distance.Behind the wood was a large mansion known as "Hattert Castle" which the Germans were using as a base. In 1944 on the same spot we were on 18 Sherman tanks assembled and attacked the wood where they knew the Germans were, what they didn't know was in the wood the Germans had two or three 88s and some 20mm cannons. As the tanks crossed the open ground the 88s opened up and took out 13 of the Sherman's as some of the crews tried to escape they were mown down by the 20mm guns. Air support was called in but only one Typhoon was available and as it approached it was shot down before it could open fire on the enemy.Later more air support was called in and the castle and wood were destroyed.

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012098.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012100.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012101.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012103.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012104.jpg

We then proceeded across the fields and parked up near the wood where we camped for the night. In the afternoon we walked to the castle and a local historian gave us a talk about the events of the battle. He had old photos and we could make out parts of the old buildings. It is now a large farm and some of the old castle's gone.

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012105.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012106.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012107.jpg

In the evening we had some r and r before the next day.

Jim.

While we were at the Liberty museum I took a couple of pictures of two Shermans, the Sherman in the first picture I am told is the one which was named "America First" which was knocked out near overloon killing all of its crew. This was the name i painted on the side of mine before going to Holland, standing by the original tank was a very sobering experience.

Hello Jim,

Thanks for sharing your pictures and narrative of what must have been a trip of a lifetime!

Re. the Sherman at Overloon, as far as I know this is indeed a 7 US Tank Division tank, but it was originally named "AFTER HITLER", rather than "America First". Could it be new information has come to light? Anyway, this Sherman has S/N 15499 with registration number USA 3022601. A very moving memorial to the crew who were killed (buried in the American cemetery of Henry-Chapelle near Verviers in Belgium).

Attached goes a picture of when "AFTER HITLER" was still outside at the Overloon museum.

Regards,

Hanno

afterhitler6qd.jpg

Hello Jim,

Thanks for sharing your pictures and narrative of what must have been a trip of a lifetime!

Re. the Sherman at Overloon, as far as I know this is indeed a 7 US Tank Division tank, but it was originally named "AFTER HITLER", rather than "America First". Could it be new information has come to light? Anyway, this Sherman has S/N 15499 with registration number USA 3022601. A very moving memorial to the crew who were killed (buried in the American cemetery of Henry-Chapelle near Verviers in Belgium).

Attached goes a picture of when "AFTER HITLER" was still outside at the Overloon museum.

Fair comment Hanno. I have only known the Sherman as "After Hitler" and not "America first", but I would be very interested to hear more. Here is a link with some picture taken in 1946, shortly after the museum opened. There are a few pics of the Sherman in question, but I can't make out a nickname.... Also pictured is the other 7AD Sherman "Cookie", which as most of you know was sold a few years ago and ended up as a monument for the Canadians in Ortona.

http://www.gahetna.nl/collectie/afbeeldingen/fotocollectie/zoeken/weergave/grid/tstart/0/q/zoekterm/overloon/q/commentaar/1

The event itself looks excellent, by the way.

Alex

Edited by Alex van de Wetering

Hi Hanno and Alex, Yoe are probably correct being locals to the area, I am only passing on what one person said at the Overloon museum. I thought he was maybe a member of their staff, but did think it strange why the museum had changed the name.

Sorry for the confusion.

It was a brilliant trip and very well organised, all credit to those who arranged it all.

Jim.

Wednesday 3rd October

6.30 wake up call by first Sergeant Shady

7.00 breakfast and break camp

9.00 we arrived at a small monument dedicated to the men of the 7th Armored who had died in the vicinity. A local man Siep Wilemsen as a child had played in the woods near his family home, whilst digging there he and a friend had uncovered the remains of two GIs. From then on he became more interested in the history of the battles which took place in his area. Later on he and his family had this monument erected in memory of those who paid the ultimate price for their freedom

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012110.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012113.jpg

On the jeep bonnet you will see the photos of two GIs found in the woods.

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012121.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012120.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012115.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012118.jpg

We then moved off to a German cemetery at Ysselsteyn.

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012122.jpg

The cemetery covers about 71 acres and has 32,000 graves. We had a guide who took us around and spoke about some of those buried there.

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012126.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012127.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012130.jpg

This is the grave of the youngest person buried here , Martin Clever was just 14 years old when he was killed, he was a cabin boy on a ship which was destroyed off the Dutch coast

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012129.jpg

There is a famous picture of a German staff car which had been shot up and in the picture you can see the driver hanging out of the side of the car, also the major dead in the back seat. This is the majors grave.

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012132.jpg

Later there was a wreath laying in memory of the German souls lost in the conflict.

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012135.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012136.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012137.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012139.jpg

We left the cemetery at 14.30 and drove to Griendstsveen where we set up camp for the night. It was raining hard again but spirits were still high.

16.30 there was a battle field tour in two GMCs we had a local historian telling us about the relevant places we passed.

Evening meal and then bed,

Jim.

Thursday 4th October.

At 6.30 there was an optional excursion for the die hard re enactors, with a river assault and crossing in original WW2 boats. I am sorry I haven't any photos of this but here is a link to some on another forum.

http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=76277&start=448

Scroll down a bit and you can see some pics of the boats and crew.

By the time they came back we were up and it was pouring down again as they got down from the GMCs I wish I had a video camera, they were soaked through, cold, miserable and dejected. You could almost imagine how the troops felt in 1944.

11.00 we moved off again for the town of Meijel for a static display with a meet and greet the local school kids etc

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012141.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012143.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012142.jpg

At 15.30 there was another ceremony and wreath laying.

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012146.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012148.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012149.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012151.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012156.jpg

!8.00 we set up camp near the town and had our evening hot meal.

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012157.jpg

At 20.30 we walked back into town for a lecture and slide show by Neik Hendrix local historian held in the Oranje hotel. The conflict in this area is mostly not heard of because it was overshadowed by "Operation Market Garden" and then "The Battle of the Bulge"

Later after a few drinks we returned to camp and got some more rest.

Jim.

:):):):)

What a fantastic trip , everything about it looks incredible , the vehicles , the uniforms, the route ,the history etc ... :D.....very emotional in parts I would imagine too........

Regarding the GIs bodies found in the woods after the war brings home the incredibly solemn job the Graves Registration fellas did too.......in many respects those boys were heroes too really and often very much overlooked....

....It can't have been very enjoyable wandering the woods and fields for months after the war .......armed with roughly drawn maps of where chap's had been hastily buried then having the sad job of removing what you could find of them for formal burial......:-(...

.In Europe it must have been bad enough... but I've just read 'War in the Wilderness' and the War Graves units are mentioned ....just how they set about wandering the endless trackless wastes of the thick Burmese jungle doing that job can only to be imagined ............but they did.. and thankfully managed to give many missing soldiers a decent burial............

Great stuff, Jim!! Shame your camera wasn't up to it though :-D

Sorry about some of the pictures they were taken on my phone camera, not the best. But there is one advantage to the phone camera, you can drive the tank one handed and take pictures at the same time LOL

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012122.jpg

Jim.

Friday 5th October

7.00 Up for breakfast and then break camp

8.30 leave camp site for another wreath laying this time at Ospel memorial site, this is another memorial erected by a local family who were moved to do something in thanks for the 7th Armoreds sacrifices in the area.

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012160.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012161.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012162.jpg

9.30 short lecture by Niek Hendrix about the fighting around the area of Ospel . It was Niek and his father Harry Hendrix who had the memorial erected and dedicated in May 2007. Harry was one of only a few civilians who stayed in the area during the fighting.

10.30 We moved of again this time to Weert where we were we had been asked by the Dutch army to attend their military academy passing out ceremony.

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012166.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012168.jpg

Some of the vehicles parked in the town square where the ceremony took place, but because the two Sherman's were too heavy we were parked on the main road near by.

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012170.jpg

At 15.00 after the passing out ceremony had taken place there was a parade through the town by the Dutch Army and again we were asked to join them with all of our vehicles.

After the parade we moved off to some park land in the town and set up camp.

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012179.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012180.jpg

18.30 evening meal

19.30 March into town to liberate the bars and clubs.

Saturday 6th October

The camp area was open to the public to walk around and chat to us. The weather had turned wet and so not many turned up, but those who did were very interested and the older folk had some fascinating tales to tell.

11.00 Wreath laying ceremony at the bridge of Weert.

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012176.jpg

7thArmoredOnTheMove2012177.jpg

18.30 Evening meal then wash and change into class "A" uniform

21.00 Into town for a "Special" evening and more liberation of bars and clubs.

Edited by Jim Clark