AEC Militant Mk3 Wrecker - New truck

Hi all.

I have just purchased a Militant Mk3 Recovery.

Why you ask – well I thought it was time for a change and with the Chieftain ARRV I really need something that can assist me when removing the power pack, etc.

For those who remember War and Peace when I had to remove the FV432 power pack - I was really impressed with the Militant that we used. I know it's not everybodies cup of tea - but I quite like the look of it.

For those who have known me a while, you’ll appreciate it has been a bit of a struggle with my conscience deciding to sell on the Ward La France M1A1 but I’ve had a blast with the Ward so I have no regrets. (Will be advertised in due course).

I think the Militant is a good buy and is in very good condition. No rot in the cab and everything working like it should. It’s also equipped with the majority of its recovery kit.

Now I must admit to knowing nothing about the Militant so I will be looking on here for sound advice etc. Then again, I didn’t know much about Chieftain until I purchased the ARRV.

As I understand it – the Militant will need annual testing as its dated 1970 and taxed as a Historic vehicle. This doesn’t really bother me and I don’t mind submitting the vehicle for an annual test – as least I know it’s safe and legal.

I’ve ordered an owners manual and a servicing schedule so looking forward to seeing how I get on.

Militant owners – please be gentle with me – Militant Virgin coming aboard.

Markheliops

Mark,

Nice truck, shame someone gave it a blow over matt paint job, she deserves to be back in DBG, like you need another task!

Maybe there is a woman in your life with an artistic inclination and attention to detail who likes to paint who could perform the repaint?

I was witness to an Abbot pack change performed by the NLBA crew at Beltring either in '97 or 2000 and was impressed as to how the Militant was a very precise bit of kit and can see how it differs from the Ward when doing finicky jobs with close tolerances.

Marmite, thanks for the thread link.

R

What a lovely Militant. I think it looks nice in NATO green. I am sure they must have been this colour in service.....

They were in gloss Deep Bronze Green when they were first issued. The Workshops I was at, had one from new, and only replaced when the Scammell EKA came in to service. Think it retained its gloss finish all the time we had it.

Cheers chaps.

I'm picking up the new beast this Saturday - 180 mile trip back in the Militant.

I have been advised ear defenders will be a good choice.

Good way to A) get used to it and B) See if any issues crop up.

I'm quite hopeful as Rob (sales) at Withams is putting the Militant through the workshop for me due to a couple of items I picked up and for a general check over.

I know there have been some "mutterings" about Withams but I have found them more than helpful on a number of occasions.

Topdog - are you referring to "the" local club?

Markheliops

could you please tell us all about it . I really fancy one but info is a bit thin on the ground....Is it a four seater cab? and how do the stabilizer legs pull out. what does it drive like...post some video too. I thought it was exempt from MOT due to it being a recovery tractor? You do need a HGV though?

Edited by rbrtcrowther

It is a two man cab with reversible seats to carry out winch opps which is done when the drivers seat is reversed,they wallow a little when driving on the road.But the sound of the engine when under load is second to none.IHave owned mine for five years now and wouldn't part with it now even though I have a foden as well.i have recently recovered a combine stuck in quicksand after many attempts made by the owner and other recovery companies,the old girl just sat there as we winched it clear,I will post some pictures shortly,once you have played with one it is very hard to find anything better.

It is a two man cab with reversible seats to carry out winch opps which is done when the drivers seat is reversed,they wallow a little when driving on the road.But the sound of the engine when under load is second to none.IHave owned mine for five years now and wouldn't part with it now even though I have a foden as well.i have recently recovered a combine stuck in quicksand after many attempts made by the owner and other recovery companies,the old girl just sat there as we winched it clear,I will post some pictures shortly,once you have played with one it is very hard to find anything better.

Amen to that. I only got to test them, but found them to be the best all round tool and faster than the Martian. Attempted to trap one some years ago for restoration but was out bid. Would have to steal one now.

Hi all.

The Militant is at Lymington where I am going to use her to carry out some repairs to a couple of Chieftain MBT's.

We covered 450 miles on Saturday - 175 miles in the Militant.

Ear defenders - a God send!!

I found the speed to be around 43 mph (except when going up hills) so I was quite pleasantly surprised. The drive was okay and for a 1970 truck - I was quite impressed.

The only mechanical issue the militant suffered was a broken tacho cable and I have a small air leak - well chuffed with that.

When I saw the Militant at Withams it wasn't for sale. The previous post in regard to the previous owner is correct as far as I am aware. I was up at Withams purchasing a Lubrication trailer and saw the Militant there. I thought then it looked in very good condition.

I did have to persist in my enquiries about buying the Militant but Rob (sales) said if I had not purchased it when I did it was going in the next tender.

Markheliops

Hi all.

The Militant is at Lymington where I am going to use her to carry out some repairs to a couple of Chieftain MBT's.

Hi Mark,

So it was you !! I posted on the Spotted Today thread on Saturday having met a Mk3 near Marchwood. Just left the Beaulieu Autojumble and saw you coming the other way.