GMC CCKW Photo Blog

Vulture

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jon. Indeed you can :) If you see any corrections required don't hesitate to shout. As an aside, I have been suprised how many of the vehicles are not recorded on the DVLA database. Of those that are, lots have the engine size recorded incorrectly, as well as the year in the some cases. For instance I can't recall when the open cabs first came out, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't 1939 ! LOL

The CCKW didn't exist in 1939, never mind the cab, however some hard cab trucks were converted to soft cab during rebuilds.

How about putting a request for submissions (email / post) in the MVT magazine? Not everyone is on HMVF :n00b: or even the internet

NOS I've been thinking the same thing myself. John Blackman says if I write a news item, he'll put it into CMV. The deadline for the next MVT Windscreen mag is early next month, so I'll get some words thrown together for that as well hopefully :)

2 at Bovvy last weekend......

Chevpol

Thanks for that useful picture. GSU141 I already have a few pics and info of, but the second which I had seen before (No 86) http://cckwphotoblog.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/4141046-S the situation re this truck was less clear as to

a) what it was and

b) the Reg No.

With your help here I now know it's a 353, and have a partial plate of ??X 36? So making some progress on part of the jigsaw :)

Kind regards

Vulture

Chevpol

Thanks for that useful picture. GSU141 I already have a few pics and info of, but the second which I had seen before (No 86) http://cckwphotoblog.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/4141046-S the situation re this truck was less clear as to

a) what it was and

b) the Reg No.

With your help here I now know it's a 353, and have a partial plate of ??X 36? So making some progress on part of the jigsaw :)

Kind regards

Vulture

In fact, just spotted that I already have the Truck !:red: :banghead: :rotfl: No 88 http://cckwphotoblog.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Reg%3A%20WFX369 Hummmm I shall merge the two together tonight.

Spotted this one a good few years ago now. Don't know if it is already on your list. Scott
Scott thanks for that photo. Checking through I don't have that truck on the Blog so I'll be adding it tonight (time permitting). Its especially useful for record purposes that the Reg number is shown :) Feel free to share anymore you have like that :) Kind regards Ian

As an aside, I have been suprised how many of the vehicles are not recorded on the DVLA database. Of those that are, lots have the engine size recorded incorrectly, as well as the year in the some cases. For instance I can't recall when the open cabs first came out, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't 1939 ! LOL

I think there'll be many vehicles, not registered correctly in the DVLA database. All US vehicles that were imported during the war that are subsequently registered with the DVLA to use on the road today, may be allocated an age-related number. Clubs like the MVT provide a verification service so that the vehicle can be dated as accurately as possible based on the chassis number and available information in order to obtain an age related number.

Vehicles can be registered with the DVLA through various routes and it only takes a date like 1939 on some import paperwork from an EU country and the DVLA may accept that. When did the war break out? 1939! Its a wartime truck, must have been first registered in 1939! Only sure way is to use the chassis number and even then that will have some error attached.

JP

I think there'll be many vehicles, not registered correctly in the DVLA database. All US vehicles that were imported during the war that are subsequently registered with the DVLA to use on the road today, may be allocated an age-related number. Clubs like the MVT provide a verification service so that the vehicle can be dated as accurately as possible based on the chassis number and available information in order to obtain an age related number.

Vehicles can be registered with the DVLA through various routes and it only takes a date like 1939 on some import paperwork from an EU country and the DVLA may accept that. When did the war break out? 1939! Its a wartime truck, must have been first registered in 1939! Only sure way is to use the chassis number and even then that will have some error attached.

JP

Jon

I've taken to putting comments like 'Year: 1939 (as recorded by the DVLA)' :rotfl:

Bloody hell old bean ....not far short of 200 GMC's ... Well done .

As the owner of a workshop truck it nice to be able to compare and see other other similar vehicles that are still around ..

Re the COE GMC's .... What's the thoughts. ?

many thanXXX for the great pictorial reference that you have created.

Adding things like Chassis No's, owners names .., alterations and engine picks would be a great advantage ...

Love the videos within the blog ... How's about adding links to YouTube vids of jimmys, films etc

I will have to take greater care next season to get more INFO pice for your blog and also the GMC Flickr page ..

Bloody hell old bean ....not far short of 200 GMC's ... Well done .

As the owner of a workshop truck it nice to be able to compare and see other other similar vehicles that are still around ..

Re the COE GMC's .... What's the thoughts. ?

many thanXXX for the great pictorial reference that you have created.

Adding things like Chassis No's, owners names .., alterations and engine picks would be a great advantage ...

Love the videos within the blog ... How's about adding links to YouTube vids of jimmys, films etc

I will have to take greater care next season to get more INFO pice for your blog and also the GMC Flickr page ..

Hi Ken

Yes, almost at the 200 mark, although of course that does include 4 Chevys' ! I intend to removed them and put them in a specific Chevy Blog in the next couple of days, time permitting. I have thought about including COE's as well but they are such a different looking beast, like with the Chevys I'm going to give them their own Photo Blog when work on the CCKW 352/3 listing is more complete.

As suggested I've added a U-Tube Video Bar. I'll expand that in time maybe.

Yes, there are a bunch of vehicles in the blog where either:

a) the photos aren't that good, and or

b) the info we have isn't that good, such as just a stencil number, and no Reg number.

We need to try and rectify some of those next year :)

Kind regards

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

In reply to Jack, that's not necessarily the case regarding gun cabinets. I made my gun cabinet from sections of an Austin KW chassis years ago. It's massively heavy duty, and so long as it's burglar proof and rawlbolted to the wall it still passes any police check I've had to have. Maybe, in this day and age a little common sense still prevails!!

Edited by ZIL157

Have you got this one? Was at Goodwood yesterday for an event and took a snap of this one on my phone.

Hi Smithy

No I didn't many thanks :) I have added it to the Blog as the latest entry at No: 226. http://cckwphotoblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/cckw-353-tyj830-clubmobile.html

Clubmobiles are really rare, its only the second one I have recorded. Good spot ! :thanx:

Kind regards

Vulture

• 2 weeks later...

I've clawed my way up to 240 vehicles recorded thus far. Its quite intersting to see the vehicle mix. With the stats being as follows:

325 = 59

353 = 181

Closed Cab = 82

Open Cab = 158

Airportable = 4

Bolster = 5

Clubmobile = 2

Compressor = 3

Converted = 6

Radio = 3

Tanker = 1

Tipper = 10

Tractor Unit = 1

Wooden Back = 4

Workshop = 23

Edited by Vulture

Clubmobiles are really rare, its only the second one I have recorded. Good spot ! :thanx:

Kind regards

Vulture

Except its not a Clubmobile, it appears to be a converted signals/workshop body, the Clubmobile body was purpose built and longer, the other one in the UK is a replica built by the Red Ball express 514 sqdn guys

Edited by Nick Johns

I know its a slightly annoraky thing to do :nut:, but I've created a photo Blog to archive the CCKWs I've photographed. Link :) In doing so I've spotted that two different trucks have chosen to use the same serial number LOL.

Re the two trucks with the same number....how weird is that...and both of us at A&E this year.

Here is our reason....year of truck 1944.and 57-59 simple........our birth years. Would love to hear the other trucks reason.

PS ours is JB old "MANS TRUCK"

Except its not a Clubmobile, it appears to be a converted signals/workshop body, the Clubmobile body was purpose built and longer, the other one in the UK is a replica built by the Red Ball express 514 sqdn guys

Good spot about it being a converted workshop ! LOL I'll add appropriate notes to both vehicles :)