GMC CCKW Photo Blog

Vulture

Keep the riff-raff in another thread Vulture..................As Jack would say "We only want a man's truck here!!"

Te he he

I'll send you a few shots of mine when I have a minute.

Tut Tut young Mr Stevens...................nothing wrong with Chevrolet :-D

Regards

Pete

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep the riff-raff in another thread Vulture..................As Jack would say "We only want a man's truck here!!"

Te he he

I'll send you a few shots of mine when I have a minute.

Clive, I've reserved you a spot at No 71 :nut: :)

Vulture

I'll look out a couple of photos of my old truck KSU 498. Iv'e not seen her around for years although she still appears on the DVLC data base. how would you like the photos Jpg ?

Pete

Hi Pete

That would be great. Jpg's work for me :-D

Cheers

Vulture

Vulture

I'll look out a couple of photos of my old truck KSU 498. Iv'e not seen her around for years although she still appears on the DVLC data base. how would you like the photos Jpg ?

Pete

Hi Pete,

Its been many a can of beans eh, but I always get a warm feeling when anyone refers to me as Young Mr. Stevens!

As you will know, I have always had a mad interest in ye' old CCKW's and you will probably remember a trip to 'War on the Line' at Arlesford, near Winchester in convoy with us in the CCKW 352 on a very wet day in September 1990 trundling down the A34, when I would have been a mere 15 years young no less!

But the odd thing is that I cannot ever recall seeing your old 353 on the show circuit since it left your ownership. I have seen Pip Biddlecombe's, Ginger Gammon's, Tony Underwood's, Andy Dickinson's and so many of the old CCKW trucks that made up our first ever Red Ball Express convoy (when we had some 18 CCKW's assemble in Savernake Forest for the first event we ever did), but as I say, I have never seen your truck since those days - It was an especially nice example.

A little off topic, but were you aware that Winston Ramsey used the re-creation pictures we did at Chilton Foliat in his 'After the Battle' D-Day then and now book? If you look at volume two, page 633, there is a great shot of you and I running along the road carrying M1 carbines with Flora King lurking in the foliage ! - Almost certainly the last time either of us actually ran, wearing an original 101st Airborne Jump Suit - You wouldn't dare take it out of a glass cabinet these days let alone put it on!!!!

Happy days.

Hi Pete,

Its been many a can of beans eh, but I always get a warm feeling when anyone refers to me as Young Mr. Stevens!

As you will know, I have always had a mad interest in ye' old CCKW's and you will probably remember a trip to 'War on the Line' at Arlesford, near Winchester in convoy with us in the CCKW 352 on a very wet day in September 1990 trundling down the A34, when I would have been a mere 15 years young no less!

But the odd thing is that I cannot ever recall seeing your old 353 on the show circuit since it left your ownership. I have seen Pip Biddlecombe's, Ginger Gammon's, Tony Underwood's, Andy Dickinson's and so many of the old CCKW trucks that made up our first ever Red Ball Express convoy (when we had some 18 CCKW's assemble in Savernake Forest for the first event we ever did), but as I say, I have never seen your truck since those days - It was an especially nice example.

A little off topic, but were you aware that Winston Ramsey used the re-creation pictures we did at Chilton Foliat in his 'After the Battle' D-Day then and now book? If you look at volume two, page 633, there is a great shot of you and I running along the road carrying M1 carbines with Flora King lurking in the foliage ! - Almost certainly the last time either of us actually ran, wearing an original 101st Airborne Jump Suit - You wouldn't dare take it out of a glass cabinet these days let alone put it on!!!!

Happy days.

Well there you are then Clive, I'm pleased to have given you a warm glow :D, No Iv'e not seen my old truck either, Neil Randel saw her on the 94 Normandy tour the year after I sold her but no one has seen her since. She went North somewhere in Yorkshire and yes she was a good one, ex French paratroopers with very low mileage and no rust at all complete with an original set of war time canvas. I do miss her sometimes and would love to know where she is now.

Well you have jogged the old memory cells with the war on the line convoy, yes I do remember it well they were fun events and always well supported.

No I didn't know we made into the D-Day after the battle, I'm not altogether surprised as the shots were very well researched and very accurate as I recall in fact you prompted a massive rummaging through old photos and Iv'e found some which did't make the book but may make you smile...... do you remember getting hit on the helment by a stray ball bearing !!!:D

I'll scan a couple and e-mail them to you, happy days indeed, the world didn't seem so complicated then?

now we must stop this trip down memory lane and let Vulture get on with his good work in this thread.

best regards

Pete

Looking Good Ian ...with this weekend show you should be at 100 GMC's..

Shouldn't this Post be a Sticky ???

ken

Hi Ken

Yep, I've bust the 100 ! :beer: :yay:

There were about 10 there, some we already have in the collection, so I've added extra photos where appropriate :)

2538316310099353463S600x600Q85.jpg

Hi Ian, I have quite a collection of CCKW photo's which I can email to you if you wish.

Degsy

That would be great, the more vehicles on the blog the better :) I will of course ensure you are credited against those included :)

Kind regards

Ian

Edited by Vulture

I'll sort them out as soon as I get chance Ian, there might be some duplications amongst them but I'll have to leave that to you to sort out which you want to use.

Degsy

Yeah don't worry about duplicates, just send me what you have, when you have a spare moment :)

Wow ...now that not bad in just a couple of weeks .. what do you think the total will be when you sift through all the shots you have been sent ..???

(Pic 125 ...If you look under the bumper you can just see the N'o plate ..)

Love the link to the WW2 Video of the jimmy's being built ..

keep up the great work .

ken

Wow ...now that not bad in just a couple of weeks .. what do you think the total will be when you sift through all the shots you have been sent ..???

(Pic 125 ...If you look under the bumper you can just see the N'o plate ..)

Love the link to the WW2 Video of the jimmy's being built ..

keep up the great work .

ken

Ken

Good spot !!! I had missed that. Which means..... I already have that vehicle !!! LOL :) I've consolidated into No 125.

I'm trawling through the HMVF and Flick sites at the moment. My guess is I'll top out at around the 200 mark.....

Ian

... GMC 135 has the reg on the bumper I think ..

Worth trawlingposts posts on variouse events within Europe as things like like tanks in town and Normandy quite often post pics of GMC,s and given the fact that they are ROAD events people need to keep their UK reg numbers on so you might spott some UK registerd vehicles ..suppose getting permission to us the shots s the most difficult thing..

End of the season for me so it won't be until next year untill I can start to collect more pics in general ..

Ken