GMC CCKW Photo Blog

Vulture

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly, the first CCKW 353 GMC featured is Jack Beckett's old Jimmy as featured in his restoration series of articles in CMV some years back entitled 'Virgin Soldiers.' I saw this truck at A & E this year and had a good chat to its owner. (Didn't mention the epic story of it losing its front wheels when being towed home from Operation Bolero in Suffolk in July 2007, but that may account for the 'flats' on the front brake drums...........!

CCKW 353 BSK 105 also featured in your blog is owned by Lawrence and Gill Goody of Chedburgh, Suffolk.

I have been collecting CCKW 353 photos now for quite some time and will one day get organised enough to do something with them. I'm looking forward to seeing future additions to your Photo Blog

Thanks Clive and Joris.

I'm hoping to make it up to the Victory Show (Crosby) in Sep so I should get a few more photos to add to the collection there. Organising them like this has focused my thoughts on the fact that I could do with at least 2 photos of each vehicle I take, and for ident purposes the Registration number. Now wish I'd take a bunch more at Duxford this year, as their must have been at least another 4 trucks I didn't photograph.

Kind regards

Vulture

You mention Duxford. Coincidentally enough, that is where I first started taking my GMC pictures way back in 1990, on a 35mm Olympus SLR and when the Duxford MV Show was one of the real big players in the diary, regularly attracting overseas exhibitors and I well remember seeing my first CCKW 353 Gasoline Tanker at this show, which had been driven over from Belgium for the event.

After IWM abolished overnight camping on-site the show went rapidly downhill, which was a great shame as it really was a terrific event for vehicle spotting and also used to attract a large selection of parts dealers.

I do plan to put a book together at some stage on the CCKW as I now have quite a diverse selection of images taken over more than 20 years of GMC owning and restoring, but the problem is that so many of them are old 35mm photographs and not digital, so its going to take quite an effort to sort them all out - So don't hold your breath !

in the meantime, i'll certainly enjoy what your posting here.

PS - Crosby I think was a singer.................Cosby is a village on the outskirts of Leicester!!!

Edited by M5Clive
My attempt at humour!

...PS - Crosby I think was a singer.................Cosby is a village on the outskirts of Leicester!!!

Or are you thinking of Portland Bill (Crosby), the jazz pianist from Oregon or was it Dorset....​?

Great idea, Vulture - but what an undertaking! :sweat:Do you plan to execute this mammoth task all on your own? It is likely to take so long that by the time you've nearly finished it will be time to start again on the first trucks which will be coming out of the rebuild plant (and maybe with different numbering :cool2:).

Interestingly, the first CCKW 353 GMC featured is Jack Beckett's old Jimmy as featured in his restoration series of articles in CMV some years back entitled 'Virgin Soldiers.' I saw this truck at A & E this year and had a good chat to its owner. (Didn't mention the epic story of it losing its front wheels when being towed home from Operation Bolero in Suffolk in July 2007, but that may account for the 'flats' on the front brake drums...........!

CCKW 353 BSK 105 also featured in your blog is owned by Lawrence and Gill Goody of Chedburgh, Suffolk.

I have been collecting CCKW 353 photos now for quite some time and will one day get organised enough to do something with them. I'm looking forward to seeing future additions to your Photo Blog

Ahhhhh so your the one who spoke to us at A&E Clive....lol. Nice to have met you,was it your Mum and Dad who rode in rear ? TBH we had a number of "small problems" with the jimmy but to date none that have posed any major problem apart from.......the dreaded "Jimmy Shimmy" of which i hope we are now on top of. Found those flat spots on the brakes when we were replaceing the king Pin bearings.

Ahhhhh so your the one who spoke to us at A&E Clive....lol. Nice to have met you,was it your Mum and Dad who rode in rear ? TBH we had a number of "small problems" with the jimmy but to date none that have posed any major problem apart from.......the dreaded "Jimmy Shimmy" of which i hope we are now on top of. Found those flat spots on the brakes when we were replaceing the king Pin bearings.

Yes indeed, that was my parents who rode side-saddle on the convoy with you folks - What an impressive convoy it was. I'm glad to put a Screen name to the face :)

I'll look some photo's out of Operation Bolero 2007 up here in Suffolk, as their were a number of good pictures showing your truck.

Fantastic idea!! Full on man trucks!!

And wonderful to see my old Jimmy in there and that machine was a life changer. It is also good to see that Gary has left the jerry can holders on there - I made them out of my old shot gun cabinet :shocked: which in turn I made out of an old bail sledge from one of the farms I used to run. You wouldn't get away with making gun cabinets now from old farm machinery :-D

I will use this blog as some news today on War History Online to help drive traffic to your blog.

Keep it up!

Or are you thinking of Portland Bill (Crosby), the jazz pianist from Oregon or was it Dorset....​?

Great idea, Vulture - but what an undertaking! :sweat:Do you plan to execute this mammoth task all on your own? It is likely to take so long that by the time you've nearly finished it will be time to start again on the first trucks which will be coming out of the rebuild plant (and maybe with different numbering :cool2:).

N.O.S.

There is a little story behind this blog, which was a desire to track down the owner of 353 that I met at the Ramsey 1940 show in 2010. I had liked the CCKW for years (since my trip to Normandy in Jun 2004) but had persuaded myself (or was using it as the excuse) that it was not a good idea to get one as it would deteriorate parked on my drive in all weathers. Anyway, I got talking to this guy at Ramsey and his truck looked great and he kept it outside. That conversation stuck with me and planted a seed which eventually ended just under a year later with me getting mine. I felt sure I must have come across the truck since, so I started the blog as a bit of fun as a method of organising my collection. I have a bunch more photos of many of the trucks but have just included the best or most interesting photos at each location they have been spotted.

In the end I tracked the truck down :)Link

Given the interest the blog has sparked I might take it further.... I shall post my thoughts on this idea separately.

Kind regards

Vulture

And wonderful to see my old Jimmy in there and that machine was a life changer. It is also good to see that Gary has left the jerry can holders on there - I made them out of my old shot gun cabinet :shocked: which in turn I made out of an old bail sledge from one of the farms I used to run. You wouldn't get away with making gun cabinets now from old farm machinery :-D

I will use this blog as some news today on War History Online to help drive traffic to your blog.

Keep it up!

Thanks Jack :)

Now I've logged on the blog all the trucks I've spotted, :idea: I've decided to expand the scope and to use it as an archive / photo register for CCKWs in the UK :)

So if your a CCKW owner and would like your truck added, send me a couple of photos (my E-Mail address is: vulture.cm@dsl.pipex.com) saying where and when they were taken, and by whom. Confirm the registration number, stencilled serial number and month and year of manufacture (if known).

Kind regards to all

Vulture

Keep it up!

Jack, its only them jerry can holders that keeps the rest of the front together............

I would concentrate on images other than the 4 corners and the trinkets they hang off the body.

Most owners are shy to open the bonnet because the motor is generally the last thing to be restored (if ever).. other than starting and running.

I hope Mr. Doyle doesn't turn your work it into another horrific CCKW book.

I would concentrate on images other than the 4 corners and the trinkets they hang off the body.

Most owners are shy to open the bonnet because the motor is generally the last thing to be restored (if ever).. other than starting and running.

I hope Mr. Doyle doesn't turn your work it into another horrific CCKW book.

I have no intention of commenting on or passing judgement on the condition of any of the vehicles, as I'm just doing this for a bit of fun. As regard the number of photos per vehicle, whilst it would be good to have lots, I currently don't have the time to manage and maintain and publish too large a collection. We will have to see how it develops over time. That said in future I will definitely take more photos of each vehicle including the engine where possible.

I know you didn't like Mr Doyle's book, however the challenge before you is clear I would have thought, and that is to produce a definitive work on the subject, be that as a book, or as something on the web. If time is an issue I would have thought a web site which you could slowly develop would be a good idea. That said books are nice, and I for one would certainly buy one if you produced one.

I've been corresponding with another photographer who has a large collection of CCKW photos. Hopefully we can work something out and I can incorporate his in as well which should take the number from the current 40 up to around 70 I think.

Kind regards

Vulture

Edited by Vulture
typo

I'm just trying to give some constructive advice. I've looked over your blog and and yes, there are lots of photos.

But if I may be honest, other than having different registration numbers and various combinations of Musette bags and jerry cans there is not much information in the photos as presented.

I don't have any clever analogy to give that could clearly state what I am trying to say, and I know that 99.9999% of the time most people simply shoot for 'acceptable' rather than really go for 'exceptional'.

There is so much more information that you could be collecting, with a reasonable amount of effort that would create much more useable point of reference.

Things like:

Frame serial numbers

DoD's or any data plate information.

Is the registration number original (or believed to be)

Maybe email the site for contact information and try and talk to the owner? Maybe get a small bit of history on the truck (last service unit. last country to have it. Any unseen mods)

I like looking at CCKW just as much as the next guy... and sharing your blog is more effort that most people will ever put into CCKWs. Its a good start, it really is.

As for any 'definitive guide' to CCKWs I am not the keeper of all things CCKW. I never claimed to be (unlike some others claim to be on other forums).

I don't have any clever analogy to give that could clearly state what I am trying to say, and I know that 99.9999% of the time most people simply shoot for 'acceptable' rather than really go for 'exceptional'.

I like looking at CCKW just as much as the next guy... and sharing your blog is more effort that most people will ever put into CCKWs. Its a good start, it really is.

Deadline we have exchanged views before on another thread about GMC prices, it occurs to me to ask if you have ever attended any MV events in Europe ? the reason I ask is your general statements above.

Vulture you keep doing what you are doing well done to you.

regards

Pete

I'm just trying to give some constructive advice. I've looked over your blog and and yes, there are lots of photos.

But if I may be honest, other than having different registration numbers and various combinations of Musette bags and jerry cans there is not much information in the photos as presented.

There is so much more information that you could be collecting, with a reasonable amount of effort that would create much more useable point of reference.

Things like:

Frame serial numbers

DoD's or any data plate information.

Is the registration number original (or believed to be)

Maybe email the site for contact information and try and talk to the owner? Maybe get a small bit of history on the truck (last service unit. last country to have it. Any unseen mods)

As for any 'definitive guide' to CCKWs I am not the keeper of all things CCKW. I never claimed to be (unlike some others claim to be on other forums).

Deadline you make some fair points about how it could be improved. I will try over time to incorporate additional information as and when it becomes available. At the moment I've uploaded most of the useful photos I have, and am now adding to it from Ken Clays collection that he has kindly E-Mailed me.

Guys

I appear to have inadvertently included a couple of Chevrolets :laugh: A question.... should I

a) Expand the title to include them as well, or

b) Set up a separate blog for them ?

Your considered thoughts would be appreciated

Kind regards to all

Vulture

Guys

I appear to have inadvertently included a couple of Chevrolets :laugh: A question.... should I

a) Expand the title to include them as well, or

b) Set up a separate blog for them ?

Your considered thoughts would be appreciated

Kind regards to all

Vulture

Keep the riff-raff in another thread Vulture..................As Jack would say "We only want a man's truck here!!"

Te he he

I'll send you a few shots of mine when I have a minute.