Russian recovery

unbelievable, a that the 4320 can haul it, b that they actually did it and c that the guy in the car is still alive...

cannot imagine what speed he was doing in the truck but it had to have been over 40 mph...my experience is that if your hauling a load heavier than you are, then you are on very dodgy ground after about 35-40 mph, and without brakes..pure madness...

unbelievable, a that the 4320 can haul it, b that they actually did it and c that the guy in the car is still alive...

cannot imagine what speed he was doing in the truck but it had to have been over 40 mph...my experience is that if your hauling a load heavier than you are, then you are on very dodgy ground after about 35-40 mph, and without brakes..pure madness...

No reason why the 4230 should not pull it - although the dead weight is 14 tons, the BMP class vehicles roll very easily.

Stopping it after would be a different story though!! Unless they had a driver in the BMP to use it's brakes in conjunction with the URAL's?

As to them doing it - safety wasn't usually a major concern in the Russian Army, least of all that of civilians.... As far as the army was concerned if it had to move - it moved regardless.... And by the book - 40 mph is the max. permitted speed, on or off road, for a BMP.

That said - I know how the OT handles and I would not like to see it towed on an A frame at all..... Certainly would not be in the hot seat whislt it was if it had to!!!

No reason why the 4230 should not pull it - although the dead weight is 14 tons, the BMP class vehicles roll very easily.

Stopping it after would be a different story though!! Unless they had a driver in the BMP to use it's brakes in conjunction with the URAL's?

As to them doing it - safety wasn't usually a major concern in the Russian Army, least of all that of civilians.... As far as the army was concerned if it had to move - it moved regardless.... And by the book - 40 mph is the max. permitted speed, on or off road, for a BMP.

That said - I know how the OT handles and I would not like to see it towed on an A frame at all..... Certainly would not be in the hot seat whislt it was if it had to!!!

no real reason hence why it was towing it, but technically if you tow a vehicle that is heavier than you your asking for real trouble, the ural is 11 tons, the BMP 14-15 depending upon model and equipment etc...dicey at the best of times...and the ural is designed to pull only 11 tons, maximum...

no real reason hence why it was towing it, but technically if you tow a vehicle that is heavier than you your asking for real trouble, the ural is 11 tons, the BMP 14-15 depending upon model and equipment etc...dicey at the best of times...and the ural is designed to pull only 11 tons, maximum...

Paul,

If the Ural has a "drawbar pull" of 11 tons, that is at it says, it could be pulling a much heavier load / vehicle, but it would never be "pulling" the actual weight. Take a tank transporter tractor, it would not equate in weight to the tank and trailer combined. Looking at the video, it is pretty clear that too much speed was the issue here.

I used to test winch equipement while working for the army, and with a tensiometer it was interesting to see just how low a pull was required to move quite heavy vehicles.

I cant be the only person who clicked play expecting to see them pull a truck out of the mud or something...

Your not!!! But just as I clicked play I thought of the scene in Ireland of the car + recovery truck+ Recovery Lorry needing to be recovered from the dockside- seeing 1 after another go in :D

Gerry