Tierd paint work

Tony B

Question

Following five years sitting in a barn my WC54's paintwork is looking very tierd. Some parts have faded more than than others. I now have everything mechanically done and she is now on English plates so can go out on the road. In the past she was always polished with Duck Oil, can anyone suggest ideas to get the paint work up a bit? I'd like to get her out to at least one show this year but have neither time nor money at the moment to get her resparyed.

When I finished off the old Series 2 I've got Tony I was in a quandary as to respray or not, but I found some stuff in the local pound shop called something like 'Restore' . It's more or less like a old fashioned 'T Cut' but seemed a lot less hardwork to use elbow grease wise !....and it really did work an absolute treat....you know what an old Landrover that's been parked up for years can end up up looking like?...well when I rolled her out, folk actually asked, had she been resprayed?...

..I'll root about in the shed and try and find the tin to check the proper name :)

Thanks Guys! I was eying up a bottle of that clour match type polish, but I don't think soft paint will like though. The roof definitley needs a coat but I've had the local Duluck's match up the colour, near perfect so a bit of rollering over that. What's mainly needed is a couple of decent dry days!

A long time ago and in a far off land (well Duisburg anyway) we always used to spruce the paintwork of the Knocker fleet with diesel. Rubbed on with a big lump of cotton waste it removed the gunge and left the paintwork - er - refreshed. Well as refreshed as hand painted IRR black and green on ancient lumbering beasties can look..........

Just make sure that the paint won't wipe completely away with whatever you use. My RB44 has paint on it that can be wiped away with a petrol soaked rag. Paint on vehicle supplied by MOD presume its some kind of IRR paint, funnily enough only the cab is sprayed in this useless stuff the body has a much better quality of paint on it. :nut:

You want something a bit harsher than a good polish, so best use a rubbing compound such as Farecla, if you think it's too harsh, make a mix up with some turtle wax. Don't use T-Cut it contains ammonia (or did the last time I used it) which will take a small amount of paint off. There are diferent grades of Farecla, we use G6 which is quite harsh, but G3 is kinder. Best to ask at a car paint retailer when you buy it.

There is a prduct available called 'Restore' it has a mix of compound and Canuba wax which is bought by people who trade cars etc.

I was thinking of Degsey trying to get a silage or hay cut. Don't often feel sorry for him.

It's rained here almost every day for the last 11 weeks and according to the Met Office this month is going to be exactly the same, it's rapidly getting serious.

look on the brite side, all this rain should put the price of amphibious MV up :D

Don't know about that but if it carries on like this we're going to need Noah and a fleet of arks;)

I agree with you regarding the softness of the paint Tony and I think any sort of rubbing compound would be too harsh in case you go through to bare metal. I'd be inclined to leave it alone unless you can afford the paint and then use rollers and brushes. Its not that big a vehicle and you can get surprisingly good results that way, remember as long as they were covered in green paint when in use that was good enough, shiny concours condition was something they definitely didn't want.:-D

I was planning a satin finish. You all know she has a special history for me, so I do want her to be that bit more elegant than the normal. I can get enough of the Duluck's Metalsheild to cover her for about £56, the colour is a good match and the stain finish easier to look after than plain matt.

I was planning a satin finish. You all know she has a special history for me, so I do want her to be that bit more elegant than the normal. I can get enough of the Duluck's Metalsheild to cover her for about £56, the colour is a good match and the stain finish easier to look after than plain matt.

Matt paint is a pain it shows all those oily fingerprints

Just an idea to show you how she looks at the moment. The primer filler on the rof line is emergency hole patching. The other side has had the same problem in the past. So back in probably 1952 a pice of steel has been cut, laid over the area and screwed in place. Markings are for a vehicle in England about 1943 hence the blackout lines. The roof light is probably post war, but agin I don't want to take it off as it is part of her history.

ek.JPG