RB 44 Lights MOT help please

spinner925

Hi

I hope someone can help with some advise please.

Took the Rb for an MOT today, it Failed, on the lights they dip in the wrong direction, they should dip to kerb, but dip to the middle of road.

Does anybody know how to re set them, or do i have to buy new ones?

Thanks and love this website its great.

Jackie

I don't know if it's relevant... some of the headlights we buy for coaches can be set for either driving on the right or the left. The headlights can be set at the back by slackening screws and moving the reflector to either L or R. Don't know if this is the same with your RB, but take one off and have a look.

I'd query that. I think you'll find the beam musn't dazzle someone at sixty feet, three feet up (Though probably metric now) . Nothing about where it goes, my 101 always passed on vertical dip. If the vehicle has the military lights they have four screws to set the system left right or centre depending where in the world you are. Can you post a picture?

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_180.htm

According to the manual, head lamp alignment is as follows:-

114 Two horizontal and one vertical adjustment screws are fitted for headlight alignment. The adjusters are accessible through cut-out (3) on the panel.

I can try and rember to scan the page tomorrow at work for you, however as uploading to the fourum for me is a pain I would have to put it somewhere

with a direct link to it.

Andy

:( preveiw post not very good now, light green on a light background!!

Surely the direction of dip on modern lamps is dependent on the lamp bowl and lens, adjusting a R/H dip to the left will bring the main beam left!

The direction of dip should be indicated by an arrow on the lens and it may be you have European lamps fitted, they will be a standard type and not expensive to replace.

Iain

Park vehicle approx 4yards from a wall or garage doors,switch on dipped beam,observe which way the 15 degree line or called kick up line points to,this kick up line needs to be straight,using a card or ruler

place over the lamp,moving the card you wii make the pattern straight,once this is done use gaffer or

insulation tape.this then should pass the test,the tester will note on the advice sheet headlamp masks

were fitted,or buy british spec headlamps,i hope i have explained this ok.

Regards rob.

The units themselves should have no effect on where the beam goes. It is the setting of the mounting unit that gives the angles.

The lens and bowl are made to give precise beam patterns on full or dip and will dip to the right or left depending on the how they are made. There is indication on the lens to show which way they dip.

To adjust a right dipping beam to dip to the left would put the main beam even further left illuminating the hedge!

The way they dip is not adjustable and on an MOT test the alignment of main and dip should be tested (main at least!).

Not sure if a blind fitted to a UK vehicle to stop oncoming drivers being dazzled on dip from European spec lamps is acceptable for MOT, but I would doubt it.

The adjustment on the lamp housing is to enable fine adjustment of the beam only.

Honest!

Iain

The units themselves should have no effect on where the beam goes. It is the setting of the mounting unit that gives the angles.

Really ???? Then why is it that the headlight glasses are marked for left or right hand dip?

The headlamp unit for a RB44 is listed as either LH dip/RH drive, or RH dip/LH drive, as I said, it is the glass that is different.

Edited by Richard Farrant

Really ???? Then why is it that the headlight glasses are marked for left or right hand dip?

The headlamp unit for a RB44 is listed as either LH dip/RH drive, or RH dip/LH drive, as I said, it is the glass that is different.

Not that I've ever noticed. :confused: I still can't see why it failed. Unless it has to do with the height above the ground of the lamp. My dear old 101 had a vertical dip and never failed. And that one was a left hand drive.

Not that I've ever noticed. :confused: I still can't see why it failed. Unless it has to do with the height above the ground of the lamp. My dear old 101 had a vertical dip and never failed. And that one was a left hand drive.

Tony, think you best stick to bus driving and not technical advisor :n00b: