Pounds Scrap yard...

Jack

Dear all.

Does any one have a links to Pounds Scrap Yard in Portsmouth? Used to pass it when I was a kid and used to see subs in there but would like to have a look at the history of the place.........

Cheers

Jack.

Jack you could try the local history dept of the Portsmouth city library, they have a potted history of Pounds, but if its the scrap yard you're after ...forget it. Its pretty much been cleared out and tidy-ed up. A T34 and a couple of BARV's and thats about it.

Young Harry Pounds collection was moved away, pending display.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Pounds

My Stuart M5A1 was apparently the first one of quite a number to be recovered from Pounds Scrap Yard by John Marchant in the very early 1970's.

Unlike all of the other M5's at Pounds, mine was inverted and therefore the inner floor in the fighting compartment was out of the salt air/water elements, thus preserving it very well. OK so armoured vehicles unlike the Austin Maxi were not reknown for excessive rot and corrosion to the sub-frame :roll: but having seen the floors of other heavy armoured restoration projects that have sat outside in the elements for an extended period of time, (eg Adrian Barrell's magnificent Sherman M4A4) I can see how my Stuart M5A1 has clearly benefitted from being inverted and why John chose the one he did.

According to John Marchant who sold me the vehicle in 1999 and was a very early member of the MVCG, he had the pick of the stack and chose mine because of its overall better condition, but he had to refit all the running gear and tracks before he could move it. It was also an American Car and Foundry manufactured machine and to my knowledge, the vast majority of preserved examples that I have seen here in the UK are usually Cadillac manufactured variants.

But, Pounds Scrapyard is definately where it came from and hopefully where it won't end-up :-o

Many years ago, After the Battle magazine did a feature on the restoration of MVCG founder Peter Gray's M-10 Tank Destroyer which was recovered by Peter from Pounds, I believe in the 1970's, but it may have been earlier.

Cds

Did i say BARVs well silly me, that should have been LARCs of course.

You were not really wrong the first time, because I know of 3 BARV's that came out of that yard, one in D-Day Museum, Southsea, second one in REME Historic Vehicle Collection and the third one, Rex Cadman displays at Beltring.

A good deal of WW2 armour has been saved from there in the past. The founder member of MVCG (later MVT), Peter Gray, had a M10 from there, one of the first private tanks to be rallied in Britain. Churchills, Daimler and Humber scout and armoured cars, carriers, Stuarts, etc....

Richard

Our ALBION was brought by POUNDS in 1966 from ruddinton and driven back to PORTMOUTH. It was registred in hampshire UTP 68 K . Then sold to SPARSHATT VEHICLE COLLECTON .In about 1972 the collecton was split up and the ALBION was sold to KEN SEINER of CHERSEY .We brought it from him in MAY 1972 and drove it to DUXFORD vi a JOHN CARTER SHOW TONY

I sometimes go past Pounds, I have tried to get closer many times! About 2 years back we spotted 2 humungous type amphibious things, a bluey coloured Chieftain, and a few landing craft carcuses. Apart from that it just looks like muddy slop now, I remember in one of my After The Battle mags too there are a few pics of Pounds vehicles, Churchills, Yank kit, Shermans, all sorts.

Its such a shame loads more wasn't saved. :|

Thanks and Regards,

Mick.

This was early 1970s.

width=420 height=291http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/fv1620/Pounds3.jpg[/img]

The Humber 1-Ton Trucks look common enough but they were extremely rare. These were FV1622 Missile Test vehicles for towing a trailer to test Malkara missiles. These 10 Humbers were struck off in 1970 & being only a few years old would have been in good condition. They had compressors fitted in the back for the air needed to test the gyros & wing actuators on the missiles. The story goes that they were stripped of their compressors which were sold for charging up air bottles for divers.

There were two pigs there that rotted quite badly in the sea air. I know as I have one of the rear doors from one. The fittings on it looked as if they had been down with the Mary Rose.

Does anyone have any more Pounds pictures? I have a couple more somewhere.

I remember in one of my After The Battle mags too there are a few pics of Pounds vehicles, Churchills, Yank kit, Shermans, all sorts.

Its such a shame loads more wasn't saved. :|

Thanks and Regards,

Mick.

ISSUE No. 25

Preservation - Tank destroyer restoration - Peter Gray's restoration of an M10 from Pounds scrapyard.

No Clive I have one for sale if you're interested !

I know someone who might be. What is its mil reg no, I can work out the vehicle type from that & some of its history. Is it as came out of service or has been modified eg breakdown truck, off-roaders embellishments. Is it complete, has the body rotted out, when did it run last? PM me if you want.