Cracked Jeep Block

Nickmow

Shortly after I got my jeep last year I discovered the block had a crack in it. It had been rather well glassed over. this weekend I took time out to strip the remaining resin off and discovered a fairly large bodged up weld job. It all underneath the distributor. Not stitched that I can see, but some of the weld is now cracked too :embarrassed:.

Bodged up a repair with a bit of JB weld and it's stopping the water leaking for now.

Question is what are my options ?

If its a case of a replacement block any ideas where I would look for one ?

Edited by Nickmow

Shortly after I got my jeep last year I discovered the block had a crack in it. It had been rather well glassed over.

A fairly common problem, if your block is otherwise ok and not leaking internally, ie water in the oil best seek a professional repairer and see if its repairable with stich/welding, don't attempt to weld it yourself, you'll cause more damage, good Jeep blocks are very scarce, been a few on ebay but there is always the risk buying one in worse state with internal cracks. the alternative is to buy an ex French army Hotchkiss new recon engine available from various dealers

Edited by Nick Johns

universal jeep supplies recommend the hotchkiss ones and apparently they are very popular compared to the old ones because they are better built or something and less liable to crack, they would also fit the original head. But that depends on if you want to compensate with a hotchkiss engine and have people at shows saying that you have the wrong engine.

Shortly after I got my jeep last year I discovered the block had a crack in it. It had been rather well glassed over. this weekend I took time out to strip the remaining resin off and discovered a fairly large bodged up weld job. It all underneath the distributor. Not stitched that I can see, but some of the weld is now cracked too :embarrassed:.

Bodged up a repair with a bit of JB weld and it's stopping the water leaking for now.

Question is what are my options ?

It is very easy to stitch your block yourself. I wrote a detailed post on here when I first joined but have no idea how to find it.Do it yourself and save £. p.m me if you want a detailed advice on how to do this, John.

There are plenty of folks who offer stitching services and the results are excellent. For a really good welded repair (but you will need to rebore and deck) then try Cast Iron Welding in Liecester.

Depending on the location of the crack and its severity it can be stick welded. Remember dont panic - its a jeep engine not a faberge egg.

Heres a tractor block that I did recently with a cheap arc welder and a few quids worth of the right rods:

P2126150.jpg

Copy of PICT0060.jpg

Iv'e used Slinden Services (look them up on the web) with good results, it will cost you £50 to ship your block to them and they will undertake a free feasibility study and give you an estimate before undertaking the work then they carry out a full pressure test and arrange shipment back to you. I would not recommend you try to weld the block yourself, the cast is very thin and without proper temperature stabilisation both up and down you will set up all sorts of stress in the block.

Pete