advice requested on these old 4-wheel drawbar trailers

hoping some of you can offer some advice on this style of trailer - couldn't find any other images so lifted this one from another thread (apologies if these have been discussed before - have looked for old threads but not found any discussions)

guess my initial question is

- tow vehicle - would my RB75 (air over hydraulic brakes, GTW 11,000kg) be suitable - could the spare port on the quad-valve be used to provide a feed to operate trailer brakes or were they designed to be towed by something bigger with full air system?

also interested to know

- weight - how much do they tend to weigh unladen? (plated around 5-5.5t gross?)

- brakes - are there inherent problems given their age, standing etc? (parts availability? etc.)

- body - steel frame with aluminium panelling or am I likely to find a rotten hardwood frame?

thanks in advance for any info, comments or pointers, paul

box trailer.JPG

slightly different build here - listed as a Brockhouse KS2138 - this type seem to be fitted with 9.00x16 tyres (whereas the one above has maybe 13" or smaller?) are they insulated? braked on each corner?

havn't found any box dimensions yet - were they available in a variety of lengths or one size only?

brockhouse KS2138 trailer.jpg

Edited by scruffyHerrbert

• 3 weeks later...

It seems to be a Brockhouse WWII type . Not sute about the the weight. I think they had one rated to 3 ton, on torsion bar suspension (straussler type), and another rated to 5 to in normal spring suspension.

Maybe someone has the technical specs could confirm post some data. I would like to know the wheelbase, dimensions too! Could you post some photos of your trailer?

As for parts, your trailer type doesn't appear many times, as your search for images already give a clue.

From other trailers, I think that it as a wood frame... At least I have seen this type of construction on other wartime trailers.

Wheels 10.50x13 seems to be rare too. The trailer itself is rare, and worth saving!

I hope that someone with more knowledge, can give a more accurate reply.

Best cumpliments,

G_Mendes

• 8 years later...

Jacksmum, as Clive confirmed in your other topic, yours is a Rubery Owen made. Judging by the registration it's around 1970-ish. These 2 ton 4 wheeled trailers were made by a number of different makers in two types, the earlier being narrower track. They were used for a variety of purposes, as office trailers (signals, mobile labs, etc. etc.), stores, or there was a flat version often with the Meadows 27kVA generator mounted.

In Detmold, Germany in the early 70s, with 4 Field Wksp REME, we had an office trailer and a flatbed fitted with an L60 carrying frame, both used by the power pack repair section. Both towed by AEC 10 tonners. Not sure of manufacturers but Rubery Owen comes to mind.

Steve.

10 hours ago, Sean N said:

Jacksmum, as Clive confirmed in your other topic, yours is a Rubery Owen made. Judging by the registration it's around 1970-ish. These 2 ton 4 wheeled trailers were made by a number of different makers in two types, the earlier being narrower track. They were used for a variety of purposes, as office trailers (signals, mobile labs, etc. etc.), stores, or there was a flat version often with the Meadows 27kVA generator mounted.

Hi Sean

the Meadows generator  was on a Sentinel trailer, this trailer was used for a number of roles, they dated back to the 50”s.

regards Richard

1 hour ago, Richard Farrant said:

Hi Sean

the Meadows generator  was on a Sentinel trailer, this trailer was used for a number of roles, they dated back to the 50”s.

regards Richard

Hi Richard, yes, I was referring to that class of trailer (FV2500) irrespective of make, rather than the Rubery Owen per se.

Edited by Sean N

Hello all,

Does anyone know what the track rod ends are, size, designation, are they used on anything else. I am after 4 (2 left, 2 right hand thread)  for my Rubery Owen (FV2500) 4 wheel trailer. they are female threads with external threads on the steering tubes.

Many thanks Nigel

Edited by Peakrec
did not quite read correctly.