A Riddle............................................

Wires definitely crossed :confused:

In an earlier post you stated that the 17 pdr arrived from Portsmouth(Pompey) I'm assuming that it came from base there or nearby

Sorry Super6,I misunderstood :undecided:. The Gun I bought to supply the 17 pdr elements for the project had languished outside the Isle of Wight Military Museum for a number of years.The previouse owner had Acquired from a Range were it had suffered severe damage from a multitude of weapons not to mention the weather !

Rob...................rnixartillery.

Rob

Looking great as ever....but you really didnt have to go to all that trouble you know..!

http://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=133004

Cheers

Tim

Tim,

If it had been a bit more accurate I might have gone with it,.

The model makers seemed not to of had the firing linkage detail................................but I have ! :D

I guess the other bonus with the model kit is that I would be allowed to keep it in the house............................

Rob......................rnixartillery.

Edited by rnixartillery

Well I have had some really good news,I recently made contact with the General Manager at Clyde Union which before being sold off was part of G & J Weir, although a new name they still reside at the old works.

Anyway after a number of e-mails and several pictures of ongoing work to the gun I was surprised to get a very enthusiastic reply from the manager in which he said that they will delve into the Archives and send me any relavant pictures and information regarding the Hybrid 17/25 pdr.

This morning I recieved some pretty amazing pictures of the 'Hybrid' photographed in their yard in 1942 ,one picture show's the post design full scale wooden mock up of their 17 pounder design which is very different to the final approved gun taken up by the War Department .

These pictures have never been seen or published before so unfortunately I cannot post them but they are most valuable in the respect that they show every detail on the gun.

I have also contacted Weir's head office as I have been told they have an Archive of past production so hopefuly they may have some information.

Rob.......................rnixartillery

Well, have to say rob, bit of a scoop thier dude! Perseverance pays off , very nice to see. Bet your on tenterhooks to see what info comes out refence production figures and types!!!!!!!

Regards

Tim

Had no luck from Weir themselve's they dont seem to have any interest so I hope Clyde Union come back with a bit more.

A bit more progress made with thanks to my mate Mark (markyakyak) who kindly offered to blast the barrel on Sunday , once I have sorted it I will lift it into place and screw the ring on.

Rob................rnixartillery.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on the barrel outside preping it between rain showers and got it to a reasonable state yesterday so decided to get it lifted into place today,looking back on the day I really think it was a two man job but struggled by myself and managed to get it dropped on.

Everything went according to plan and its great when things just go back together with ease.I was surprised how well balanced it was when the barrel and ring were on.

Although this is a mile stone in the restoration there is still quite a bit to do not forgetting it has to come apart again to be painted.

Rob......................rnixartillery ---0\~

Edited by rnixartillery

• 3 months later...
Hi

Any updates on the Pheasant?

Hi There Niels.

Well ,thanks to my dislike of the Bloody cold and wet weather I have not really done much.I did receive some very detailed pictures and Photo's from Clyde Union (Formerly Weirs) showing the firing linkage so I have been constructing that.

If you look on the internet for pictures of the pheasant there are very few and non are good for the finer detail.

The pictures I have been sent are pretty amazing really and they are high resolution so I can blow them up to see the detail in construction, unfortunately due to copyrights I cannot post any.

My plan is to get all the parts made over the next month or so and when the weather warms up break the gun down and paint.

Clyde union have showed quite a bit of interest in this project and want to feature it in a corporate magazine which is good and they have also authenticated it from the ID plate.

Here are a few recent pics

Rob....................rnixartillery.

Very nice, and you are not so far away that you couldn't tow it up here to God's country to put it back in the production line area for a photo or two.

There are enough original parts / features of the wartime buildings still there to allow you to do that. Might have to wheel it round the odd coffee machine or million pound CNC unit, but the basic building are the same, including the rail lines in the floor.

Do any of the copyrighted images have a decent positioning shot of a Pheasant with a chunk of the works buildings in the background, inside / outside?

Yes Gordon,the B&W pictures are taked in a Yard just in front of a newly errected building . There is a couple of builders sat on top of a wall having there Bate,no Hard hats,High Viz gear or scaffolding.

Those were the days before the world went crazy !

Rob....................rnixartillery

Edited by rnixartillery

• 2 months later...

Niels,

Just dropped some bits off yesterday for blasting,to be honest it just needs breaking down, painting and re-assembling.

I still need to find one new 9.00/16 trakgrip tyre for it though.

I am in the process of building another shed at the moment so funds permiting that needs finishing before I resume any restorations.The new building space is already full before its finished ! :nut:

Rob.................rnixartillery.

• 10 months later...
A lot of pictures appear to be missing from the latter half of this thread

Yes, I've noticed some of my pictures have gone AWOL ,I have no idea where !

Hopefully the pheasant restoration will Resume once I have finished the 18 pounder I am currently doing.

Rob................rnixartillery.

• 8 months later...
A new, to me, picture of two Pheasants, one being towed by a morris quad and the other what looks to be 3 ton lorry

Niels,

I have had this image for a few years now but I don't know if you have noticed but this is a mirror image of the original note the cut off bar on the left side of the guns recouperator this should be on the other side in reality , place a small mirror up against the picture and all is revealed ! ;)

The pheasant restoration has drawn to a holt at the moment as I am restoring another 3.7" mountain gun.

Rob....................rnixartillery.