A Riddle............................................

And the latest work....................................................................................--0\~

Rob..................rnixartillery

Outstanding finish thier Rob, realy impressive. Ican suggest that the feline has climbed out the hessian container as to the "proper" colour it is to be!!!

Regards

Tim

I dont think it could be painted any other colour Tim,bareing in mind this gun was developed for a particular campaign being North Africa although I have found no history (as yet) that my carriage actually went oversease or was just a proofing carriage at Eskmeals for the Pheasant conversion.

If this is the case that is probably why it is the sole surviver !

Rob.........................rnixarillery.

DSCF0446.jpgThis is the last update for a few of weeks as the family and I are off on our annual pilgrimage to Normandy, I had a few deliveries today and the new springs were amongst them so thats another part sorted out.I decided to have two made as it worked out cheaper per spring and I'm sure the other will get used some where along the line !

And finaly my Section one came back with the new addition of a 17 pdr so with the Pheasant being such a rare piece I can prevent butchering it and keep it live ! :-D

Over and out ..................................... :saluting:

Rob...................rnixartillery.

Edited by rnixartillery

• 4 weeks later...

Well,Things have been moving along slowly but one of the parts I have not managed to find is an early pattern muzzle brake.

The early muzzle has square vents rather than the later round vents,I think the change was made around mid 43 but not

%100 sure.There are several 17 pdr's around in collections and museums that have the latter fitted.

So,thanks to Bob Grundy flogging me a round vent Brake I decided to have ago at transforming it to the Square vent which wasn't as straight forward as one would expect !I have an early brake on my 17 pdr so I made some wood patterns of the holes to copy .After quite a bit of cutting out and welding in I have just about got there but need to buy a deep reach die grinder to get inside and grind the snots off,I think after sandblasting with a course grit it will look the Bogs Dollocks !`:nut:

Rob....................rnixartillery.

DSCF0571.jpg

You Rob are a clever old sod ! Looks the danglies for sure ! :-D

Andy,I'm younger than you so who's the old Bugger now !!!! :banana: :rofl:.......................................

A pic of the carriage here,this is what the Pheasant plate came off and there is signs of repair so I would say that the 17 pdr certainly placed plenty of strain on the carriage and saddle.

Rob........................rnixartillery.

Edited by rnixartillery

• 3 weeks later...

DSCF0603.jpgThings have slowed down somewhat over the past couple of weeks partly due to the decision to re-strip the carriage,it had been blast cleaned and primed (by the blaster) a few years ago and then stood since in my mates shed.

Two problems ! one the blasters had VERY lightly primed the steel and what with it being stood rust was starting to appear again and the second problem was that the carriage had not been blasted thoroughly ,leaving untouched areas of rust.

This is one reason why I prime myself to ensure the item has been blast cleaned properly !

Anyway the carriage has been done and I am about to drop the axle down to my sandblasters so hopefuly be back on course next week.

This will then leave the Cradle and Barrel to do and then its time to build the gun to make sure everything fits as it should:sweat:

DSCF0601.jpg

Edited by rnixartillery

I managed to get a couple of hours in the workshop yesterday and made a start on the LBM,I just need to get my mate to turn a new hand grip for the top so I can fabricate the lock,only a small piece but a little bit more done !

I decided to repair what I had rather than fabricate a new one so it still retains its part number.

I managed to get a couple of hours in the workshop yesterday and made a start on the LBM,I just need to get my mate to turn a new hand grip for the top so I can fabricate the lock,only a small piece but a little bit more done !

I decided to repair what I had rather than fabricate a new one so it still retains its part number.

Take it from the last pic that LBM= Lever Breech Mechanism? Or am i just being an artillery ignoramus??

Regardless of the above ignorance it is perfectly evident that you are a master at doing this scale of restoration. Watching the componants comming back from the grave is a joy.

Are you going to beltring? Love to come over for a chat

Regards

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got some bits back from the sandblasters the other day but not enough to keep the job going,the saddle is primed and on temporarily.

When I was down at W&P's I managed to meet up with Marc Van Aalderen for the first time which was a pleasure and we had a little trade and I came away with a 17 pdr Striker for the pheasant so thats another piece of the puzzle sourced.

Thanks Marc ! :thumbsup:

When I was down at W&P's I managed to meet up with Marc Van Aalderen for the first time which was a pleasure and we had a little trade and I came away with a 17 pdr Striker for the pheasant so thats another piece of the puzzle sourced.

Thanks Marc ! :thumbsup:

Rob,

It was a pleasure meeting you and the family at W&P. Glad I could contribute a piece to the remarkable resto of a very rare gun. I'm very happy with the nice Drill round for my 6 pdr, thank you! :-)

Cheers,

Marc

• 1 month later...

DSCF0864.jpgAfter a long pause I finally got the Axle and cradle back from the sand blasters,what was suppose to be a week took a month but things are back on track.

Weather has been kind so I managed to prime both parts outside yesterday and top coated the axle yellow today,so I will fit the axle back to the carriage tomorrow and then its mobile again.

I will then spend a bit of time on the cradle and hopefuly :sweat: get the 17 pdr recouperator slid into place.

If every thing fits I will get the barrel blast cleaned and lift that into place on the cradle.

Still plenty to do but the pile of bits is getting smaller !

Rob...............................rnixartillery.

DSCF0862.jpg

Edited by rnixartillery

DSCF0866.jpgI've had a good day back on the pheasant and got the axle painted stone and fitted back to the carriage which makes things easier to move in and out of the workshop,I have also painted the inside of the cradle,recouperator and cap.

I have decided to paint these green as the pheasants were assembled from standard production guns and parts so everything would have been green,the light stone would have been applied after assembly.

Although when these parts are put together (hopefully tomorrow) they will never be seen again !

Rob.......................rnixartillery.

DSCF0865.jpg

Edited by rnixartillery

DSCF0870.jpgWell its official, a 17 pdr recouperator fits inside the 25 pdr cradle :-D and its only taken two years to find that out !

My son (expert tractor driver at the age of 13) and I spent the best part of the day getting the recouperator in trying not to over push and get the thing wedged but all went well.

A couple of minor problems cropped up but soon sorted with some simple solutions.The end cap is also fitted now so I will try and get the barrel blasted this week and drop that into place,this will give some indication to how well the gun was balanced.It will all need to come apart to be painted once I know every thing fits as it should.

Rob............................rnixartillery.

DSCF0869.jpg

Edited by rnixartillery

Hi, just read this from end to end, very interesting project/thread :thumbsup:

I'm a little curious to know where the 17pdr came from in Pompey, presuming Fort Nelson, but could be a number of other places I suppose?

Hi There super6,

can you tell us a bit more about the 17 pdr you have mentioned,its location and are the any pictures ? Fort Nelson does not have a 17 pdr at the Museum so it would seem a strange thing that if they owned one to lend it out rather than keep it at the Fort !

Rob......................rnixartillery

Hi There super6,

can you tell us a bit more about the 17 pdr you have mentioned,its location and are the any pictures ? Fort Nelson does not have a 17 pdr at the Museum so it would seem a strange thing that if they owned one to lend it out rather than keep it at the Fort !

Rob......................rnixartillery

Wires definitely crossed :confused:

In an earlier post you stated that the 17 pdr arrived from Portsmouth(Pompey) I'm assuming that it came from base there or nearby