A Riddle............................................

Well Andy,they say you can't polish a Turd................................but I say you can ! :whistle:Rob......................rnixartillery.
Always found turd polishing best achieved with a fine grade of emery cloth...................power tools to be avoided! :-)Nice work Rob.

I think that looks fantastic, did you replace a section of the strap and then fill the rest up with weld?

That correct Niels,I welded the strap back into one piece and then cut a plug to fill the large gap and welded it in,a bit more welding here and there and finished it off with the grinder.....................and some fine emery cloth.....:rofl:

Made a small repair this morning to a breech part that was a bit beyond it,just need to turn a bearing to finish it.

Turd polisher........................rnixartillery. :nut:

DSCF0280.jpg

DSCF0281.jpg

DSCF0284.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well back to the Pheasant project,slowly working through the pile of corroded parts trying to make something from them.

Last week I repaired the Cradle which took some work but is now ready for sand blasting,I should be ready soon to start assembling the carriage.my intension is to blast the heavy items,paint and fit to save lifting things around.

I think I have sorted the paint I am using but not 100% sure.

A couple of pics attached of the Breech crank before and after repair,just needs sand blasting to remove the grinder marks.

Rob.......................rnixartillery.

DSCF0273.jpg

DSCF0274.jpg

I was only saying last week how putting things back together is so much easier than getting them apart,well I take that back ! I have just spent a day with a file taking a Gnats cock off here and there on the Breech activation shaft to get the breech crank and breech ring bush to fit back on.It was seized good and propper when I dismantled the gun so took some getting apart,anyway it fits nice and snug now.

Also got the shield today which I was expecting to have to repair but it turns out to be a very staight one ...........:thumbsup:

More pics...........................

Rob......................rnixartillery.

DSCF0331.jpg

DSCF0336.jpg

DSCF0337.jpg

It seems that every Gun I restore has a broken spring and this project is no exception,I gently dis-assembled the Breech activation spring from its cracked housing today trying not to increase the length of the two cracks and was a bit dubiouse when using heat.

When it was apart it was evident that the cracked housing and broken spring were most probably caused by shrapnel and splatter from its life as a hard target.I tacked the spring back together to ascertain its full length so now I need to have a replacement made.....................................oh what fun ! :nut:

Rob....................rnixartillery

DSCF0341.jpg

DSCF0345.jpg

DSCF0346.jpg

As a bit of a random act I decided to spend a day restoring the spares and tool boxes for the Pheasant and it worked out well because I wanted to see what the paint colour looked like that I have decided to go with !. I also found some nice canvass that looked right to cover the box lids which works well with the paint colour.

Still welding and grinding at the moment so hopefuly I will start assembling very soon ! :D

Rob.....................rnixartillery.

DSCF0357.jpg

Edited by rnixartillery

I made a bit more progress over the weekend and also got the shield,recouperator and Block back from the sandblasters so managed to get things primed before the rain came.It was nice to find the shield was date stamped 1942 so this also falls into place with the Pheasants DOM.

Now when I finally managed to remove the Block from the Ring it was in very poor condition so I have polished it up and drenched it in oil and we will see how it performs in the Ring when it comes back from the sandblasters ! ;)

More pics ......................................

Rob..........................rnixartillery.

Hi Rob,

Can i assume that the central hole profile in the shield is the same for the pheasant as the standard 25lb gun or do you need to adjust?

As you say, a handy date to find.As for the block.......well......i did reccomend fine emery cloth, looks like it worked:D

Regards

Tim

Hi Rob,

Can i assume that the central hole profile in the shield is the same for the pheasant as the standard 25lb gun or do you need to adjust?

As you say, a handy date to find.As for the block.......well......i did reccomend fine emery cloth, looks like it worked:D

Regards

Tim

Tim,

If you take a good look at any 25 pdr gun shields you will notice that most have been altered and the profile of 'The Hole's' are all different,this is because when the shields are removed from the guns over the barrel and muzzle the factory machined holes leave very little room for maneuver so when in the field the gun crews alter the size and profile to make it easier to remove.

So to answer the question yes it will fit as it is the original shield that came with the Pheasant carriage,I also have the original Weir's Cradle ! :thumbsup:

Rob.........................rnixartillery

DSCF1679.jpgI Was in the workshop Doodling today as I couldn't really be bothered to do anything constructive so I though I would tac the 17 pdr shield back together to see how it looked in one piece !............................................Pretty S#*t I'd say .............

One carefull previouse owner ! :rolleyes:

Rob.........................rnixartillery.

DSCF0401.jpg

Edited by rnixartillery

I Was in the workshop Doodling today as I couldn't really be bothered to do anything constructive so I though I would tac the 17 pdr shield back together to see how it looked in one piece !............................................Pretty S#*t I'd say .............

For that Distressed Chich look?:-D

I Was in the workshop Doodling today as I couldn't really be bothered to do anything constructive so I though I would tac the 17 pdr shield back together to see how it looked in one piece !............................................Pretty S#*t I'd say .............

Hi Rob, The shield looks pretty much the same as anything used as a hard target on a range would end up like!

However, if you think about it, this relic STILL can have a usefull life! There are Plenty of re-enactmant groups who do superb living history displays. Beltring springs to mind here! This would make a VERY nice addition to a display with a Dummy Barrel & say a bit of mock up axle with One wheel on it.

The sale of this shield can be recycled by the funds going towards bits & bobs or Material needed on your Pheasant Restoration Project.

See, think laterally, & nothing is wasted!...............Keep up the Good work Mate! Cheers! Mike.

Nothing goes to waste here Mike,thats why I have so much useless .........................priceless crap lying around,infact that shield has made a very good talking point out side my workshop recently and will be the bench mark for a 'Before and After'.

For the last several years I have been looking for an original early pattern Bill hook sheath for my 6 pdr,but because they were made from leather they never seemed to survive and I have only found one B&W photo with one pictured on a gun,well when I untangled the 17 pdr shield I found an early pattern bill hook sheath attached to the back of it . Only good as a pattern though ! ;)

I'll get a pic latter and post it

Rob......................rnixartillery.

Yes,It always goes against the grain to get rid of stuff but some times a cash injection is needed to push a restoration on !

Anyway here are a couple of pics of the bill hook sheath I mentioned earlier ,note that the guns in the b&w picture are 2 pdr's mounted on 6 pdr carriages.

Also are few pics of the last two days work on the Pheasant.

Rob....................rnixartillery

I found an early pattern bill hook sheath attached to the back of it . Only good as a pattern though!

Hi Rob,

Beautiful work as usuall!

Should you make a new sheath from your pattern could you please make one for me too? Also need a bill hook if you have one for sale. Thank you in advance.

Cheers,

Marc

No Problem Marc,I have bought a sheet of 3.5mm Hide to get a few made up.It seems that it was standard for the 2,6 and 17 pdr's with a three bolt fixing to the shield's, only thing to remember is to get a bill hook that fits the sheath as there were many shapes and sizes of hook.

Leave it with me and I will find you a bill hook that fits. :thumbsup:

Rob.....................rnixartillery.

Rob,

That is great! Many thanks. Will see you in Beltring.

Have a great weekend.

Cheers,

Marc

PS. Are you still interested in all the 6 pdr parts from you know who? Tried to get in touch with them the other year but this is very difficult as you know. Just let me know and I will keep trying.

DSCF0204.jpgI have just about finished the repair work to the recouperator which has been quite a task as it was in very poor condition with several impact points, one had blown the corner away.

Most repair has been filled with weld ,ground off and filed, it was then sandblasted and skimmed to take out the smaller pitting.all in all I think I have spent about 8 days alone on this part but an essential part at that

Quite pleased it done now as it was a real pain in the A#*e ! :sweat:

Before................

Rob.......................rnixartillery

DSCF0200.jpg

DSCF0202.jpg

Edited by rnixartillery