Diesel

Bob Grundy

Sound like same stuff i had in a truck i bought from dealer amber coloured full tank told it was kerosene (parrafin) central heating oil diesel engines are not real choosy what you put in them

Sounds like a good idea that Bob has drained the tank if it is kero/paraffin, as it has no lubricant properties unlike diesel. Fuel pump problems can be be expensive.

one tank full wont kill it and that is obviously what vehicle was running on direct from mod. If you fill up anywhere from East of Austria/hungary or lots of ex russian states on a middle east run you get exactly the same stuff. a lot of the scare mongering is put about to justify the huge duty put on by the goverment and the manufacturers of modern smaller diesels. Modern Diesel trucks are running about on this stuff ok all over the world Other wise how could Scania/Volvo for instance sell trucks to South America/Africa they run on what they refine

I am willing to put on a little challenge here for any one who is willing to risk it. Try putting kerosene vegatable oil parrafin turps even lard if you can warm it to liquid Sump oil as long as it it it aint contaminated with water and tell me what difference it makes to the performance of your vehicle if its a large diesel

Edited by cosrec

Thank you one and all for these comments.

This vehicle never ran on this stuff as today I removed the diesel lift pump and discovered that the brass filter was clogged. There is, now was, a varnish like glazing over the mesh. Even though it was full of diesel not a drop came out

of the mesh. A new one has been ordered from Mr Glenn.

I was always under the impression that diesel did not deteriorate but perhaps the modern stuff does ?

Doesnt old diesel grow a mould which turns it black when left a long time?

Its actually new diesel that does that. All diesel is now 8% bio it does not like any moisture. We have suffered a lot on our work vehicles as condensation forms in the alloy and steel tanks and mixes with the bio, causing the fungus to grow creating a black sludge. It is a pain to get rid of and is very costly:(

Your description reads exactly like a tank of classic 'mature' red diesel - had it often with 'new' old plant. It goes brown and seems more oily than fresh diesel. Never had any problems with it - just keep diluting with fresh 'red'

:-D

Hi, I agree with this, when our big tank is freshly filled its a nice red colour, but as it goes down and after about 6-7 years its changed to a light brown.....

It may be heating fluid/kerosene/gas oil though, but as long as you say it feels oily, it will be fine. I use a 50:1 mix of heating oil/engine oil in a 3-phase generator, no probs, 10 years plus. Perkins diesel tho....

Up to you, but I would use it, albeit dilute it say 50:50 to give you confidence, it will save you half the fuel costs till it is done and it was evidently what the MOD ran it on!!

Alec.