Compound or not

gazzaw

I've not used it before, but the last GMC gasket did have a little silicone around the waterway holes just to make sure.

So, if one were to use something like Wellseal, how / whereabouts on the gasket would you apply it?

If you know what you don't know, you stand a chance of learning more....

For this application I would apply it with a brush to the spotlessly clean and crack-free block, let it go off for 5 minutes, then place the gasket in position. Make sure all the holes line up (long story so I won't bore you). Apply with a brush again to the upper surface of what is now the gasket. Wait another 5 mins (have a look at the head to make sure it is spotless and crack free too while you are waiting). Head on, bolts on, clamp it down like it says in the manual.

It does say that you can apply a second coat if you want, but in this case with a new gasket I wouldnt bother. Just make sure you have a good even coverage.

You should be able to get it in a decent motor factors but dont be fobbed off with any substitutes, especially those with the stuff best used in the bathroom and not in your engine.

The gasket description you give - sounds like a tinplate reinforced composite sheet c/w steel anti-blast rings type , these are sprayed with a special sealing laquer. If the block has been decked & head skimmed to correct surface finish - then the application of any compound will have detremental effects. Even if the surfaces are far from perfect - then you would be better off using straight out of the packet..

Took off head and shown as blown at No4 but worse still was No1 had a large score/gouge out of cyl wall -looks about width of gudgeon pin and piston showing signs of breaking up. So it's engine out now, strip and hopefully it can be rebored as I don't want to lose an original GPW engine and head. Help or advice appreciated guys, can these engines be saved or is it beyond repair?

th_16092011403.jpg

th_16092011388.jpg

th_16092011405.jpg

th_16092011406.jpg

Took off head and shown as blown at No4 but worse still was No1 had a large score/gouge out of cyl wall -looks about width of gudgeon pin and piston showing signs of breaking up. So it's engine out now, strip and hopefully it can be rebored as I don't want to lose an original GPW engine and head. Help or advice appreciated guys, can these engines be saved or is it beyond repair?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51205[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]51206[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]51207[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]51208[/ATTACH]

As Richard says you will have to strip the block out to see the extent of the damage, then it's down to what size your bores are already. They could be anything from standard to +60 thou oversize, at this point you will have to consider having sleeves fitted not cheap but it would take your engine back to standard and give you probably another 100 years of use !!with new pistons rings bearings valve guides etc. If you decide to spend that sort of money get the block crack tested before you start, if anything is found there are several fusion welding companies who can sort the problem out for you.

Pete

Thanks Richard and Pete

Taking it out today and strip etc. Yep you are right re gudgeon pin probably more like a ring broken or bit of piston/foreign matter etc. Can't see size yet on a piston so might have to gauge the bore to find out. Will update on here later

regards

Gary