Licensing

Hello,

I'm nearly coming up to my 16th birthday, and i know i'm not old enough to drive a lorry yet on the road!

I know these questions have been asked loads of times on this site, but can't seem to get the answer i'm after, so here goes...

But i'm wondering whats the youngest age i can go for my test(what class, ect.) which will allow me legally to drive a AEC Matador or equivalent on the road without a trailer?

But also would the test which allows me to drive just the lorry allow me to drive, something like a 15 to 20ft low loading trailer with about a 5 ton machine on or would i have to do an extra test later on?

Kind Regards

Henry

Minimum age to drive a car was 17 1/2 it might have gone up to 18. In regards to a pre 1960's vehicle like a Matador you might be able drive it when you pass you're driving test.Whether you can be insured to do so is another matter I think the minimum age for a classic policy is twenty one.

I wouldn't like to be on the same road as you though, you have no experience of driving a car on the public highway. You need those first years of driving a normal car to gain experience and yes make all you're mistakes in a vehicle that doesn't weigh as much as a Matador.

Honest opinion straight talking

What ever you choose to do it will be expensive to learn to drive, and the real frightner, insurance cost. You can do your car license, then save and do the LGV clas Ctest at 18 now. Do that and you can cock a snock (Whatever the hell they are!) at us old foggies.

Thanks for your replies, experience is definitely key! I always jump at the chance of driving any type of vehicle off road, practice makes perfect so they say!

So 18 is minimum legal age but 21 and you can get your insurance for the lorry, is this right?

Thanks for your replies, experience is definitely key! I always jump at the chance of driving any type of vehicle off road, practice makes perfect so they say!

So 18 is minimum legal age but 21 and you can get your insurance for the lorry, is this right?

Experience is everything you can't buy it you just have to go out and do it. I had an idea that you were already driving vehicles off road otherwise you wouldn't have the interest.

So 18 is minimum legal age but 21 and you can get your insurance for the lorry, is this right? Yes I think that statement is correct but ask the insurances companies directly what the minimum age is for being insured for driving a classic military vehicle. My Ferret only goes out to play at a maximum of twenty times a year and has a limited mileage of three thousand miles per year. Most of the insurances companies know that these vehicles have a limited exposure to the public roads hence reducing any possible claims.

Being forty doesn't stop me remembering my lack of experience on the road when I first started out at 18 or 19. I'm quite happy to admit to making mistakes as well, thats all part of the fun when you first start driving.

Also as you said insuring your ''military'' vehicle does this mean that your vehicle has to be registered as a military vehicle?

Say the matador was a recovery vechile, do you register it as that to the insurance company or would i be able to get it down as historic like the tractors?

Henry

Simple answer if you talk to enough insurance companies, one will grudgingly decide that 'yes, under special circumstances we may be able to cover you' and then start adding an infinite numbers of 00000000s to the premium. Try and get all the boxes such as pass plus ticked. Then it just phone and talk, I'm afraid. Don't want to sound as if I'm raining on your parade but my son is 24 with a clean licence, and still having problems getting him covered!

Edited by Tony B

Moce to see a young person you wants to drive something old.

The guys are right you need experience, whicj only comes with time (and age).

Driving around fields is fun and gives you a feel for vehicles however it is not the same as driving on a road.

Grew up on a farm and started driving early, so I do know a bit about it.

The only think you need to worry about in fields are hedge rows and rabbits. One does not normally do anything stupid and the other makes a nice pie if you hit it.

On the road you have to deal with a whole range of numpties, lemmings and many other hazards. Many of which should be confined to fields and don't make good pies.:D

You must also remember that an old vehicle is not as "good" as a modern one. They don't stop, turn. handle or accelerate like the new stuff. They are not computer controlled. You need to think werll ahead and anticipate the lemmings inorefer to allow for the vehicles reaction time.

Not to sure on the licensing issues as they seem to keep changing things, when I did my test you has to be 21 to drive a truck (although not sure about old ones)

There is some useful info here

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022547

Like any vehicle, at your age. getting insurance will be a game and most likely more expensive than the vehicle.

Whatever you do don't let us put you off, take your time. set yourself a goal and all going well you will achieve it.

Start small ant work your way up as time and experience andfinances allow.

Good luck

Mike

I think unfortunately insurance will be your biggest problem, when I phoned up to get insurance on my MV there was a lot of sucking air through teeth when I told them my age (24). Most of the well known companies said they're not keen on insuring someone under the age of 25, as a result my quotes were about 2.5 times what other older drivers pay for exactly the same type of vehicle. Even with a spotless licence, no accidents etc..

On a similar topic, I tried to hire a minibus a few weeks ago so that a dozen of us could go away for the weekend. Now according to the DVLA's website I met the requirements to be able to drive a minibus (over 21, no special licence needed as long as its not used for hire or reward or used as part of an organised company/club/corporate trip). However, no hire company would hire to me as I was under 25 and they said no insurance company would cover me to drive a minibus. In the end we gave up and went in separate cars...

Think all you can do is phone round a few companies and ask some questions, be honest with them and just see what they say. Hope you manage to get something sorted.

James

Good to see your interest in old stuff.

Also good to see you are playing around offroad as I think that is the best experience i.e. do the dome stuff off road, find out what happens when you spin out etc (in something small, I had a Ford Cortina).

I have every reason to suspect the reason so many accidents on the road occur is they never got the chance to learn what to do in different situations. Every time bad weather is around you see people skidding of the roads.

Defensive driving courses are great but in western countries most people wont do because of cost.

Something else I think is true also is the difference between being young and being old. When young there are no consequences e.g.

18 years old - that wing would look great on the back of my Cortina, lets pop rivet it on

40 years old - bugger the wing, if it falls off and smacks someone in the head I'll be in a world of trouble

So that's where the experiece bit comes in.

Anyway best of luck, set you goals and go with it.

Good to see your interest in old stuff.

Also good to see you are playing around offroad as I think that is the best experience i.e. do the dome stuff off road, find out what happens when you spin out etc (in something small, I had a Ford Cortina).

I have every reason to suspect the reason so many accidents on the road occur is they never got the chance to learn what to do in different situations. Every time bad weather is around you see people skidding of the roads.

Defensive driving courses are great but in western countries most people wont do because of cost.

Something else I think is true also is the difference between being young and being old. When young there are no consequences e.g.

18 years old - that wing would look great on the back of my Cortina, lets pop rivet it on

40 years old - bugger the wing, if it falls off and smacks someone in the head I'll be in a world of trouble

So that's where the experiece bit comes in.

Anyway best of luck, set you goals and go with it.

Totally agree.

Fields are brilliant for the dumb stuff and learning the limits of a vehicle and your own abilities, with minimal impact/damage tom people and property.

Part of the reason I do not worry about letting my 12 year old nephew drive the Landy around the odd field. It also helps that he does not seem to have the idiot gene:-D Some say I am mean, especially when I forced him to go out again later when his parents turned up.

It does not however help with developing your road sense and predicting the other idiots. But knowing your abilities ans the vehicles does help you when you need to react.

Learned my defensive road craft on a motorbike. mistakes are more painful so you learn quicker, in my opinion.

If you are fitting wings don't use pop rivets, big bolts or weldiing are better.

As I mentioned before set your targets and don't rush to meet them.

In the meantime grab every opportunity yo drive various vehicles off road whenever you can.

Learn what you can and most of all have FUN.

Mike

What ever you choose to do it will be expensive to learn to drive, and the real frightner, insurance cost. You can do your car license, then save and do the LGV clas Ctest at 18 now. Do that and you can cock a snock (Whatever the hell they are!) at us old foggies.

Only however if you undertaken initial qualification for Driver CPC

Things are getting really difficult for younger drivers (if not impossible) (as) historic insurers will only insure 25 year olds. And are contemplating raising the lower age to 30. (!). ((and the upper limit to 70.) (soon it will ok for insurence IF aged between 31 and 51))!.

Recent new drivers who passed drivers test under 10 years can not drive hgv IN ANY CLASS. (yes but historic I hear shouts) yes historic PROVIDED the test was passed and the licence (experience) held is OVER 2 YEARS.

Historic (with these criteria fullfilled) : "provided such vehicle is unladen (and or) towing an unladen trailer".

Matador is interesting though. If an agricultural vehicle (like a gamma goat) Can be driven offroad at age 13. and on the highway at 16. (insurence for same).

(capitals to emphasize not shout).

hope you find a way to participate in the hobby as new and younger blood is really needed. perhaps team up with a collector and get the experience and interests there. good luck.

I've had a chat to a few people, in the know (as they say), and they reckon if i can get the Matador registered as a agricultural vehicle that being one for timber, farming ect. i could drive it at the age of 16 if the vechile is ''less than 2.45m wide'' and ''it must only pull trailers less than 2.45 metres wide with two wheels, or four close-coupled'' this is shown by the DVLA minimum age web page, but by going by what others say, i shouldn't trust it!

Then, looking at the following site http://www.aecmilitant.co.uk/matador4/home.html the matadors width is 7ft 10" which i believe works out to be 2.390m which comes in just under the dvla's agricultural tractors maximum width of machine for a 16 year old to drive, so does this mean i can drive the matador at the age of 16 if i pass my tractor test and have the matador registered as a agricultal machine, say for timber industries, i can legally drive it with the right insurance ect... Am i correct????

Regards

Henry

Much has been written about this (agricultural tractor etc.) by antarmike and others. I don't think it's a route worth pursuing. I think you'll have to register it for what it truly is and wait a couple of years to take it out on the road - if you can get it insured that soon. Sorry to be so negative but if you managed to cheat the system and then were involved in an incident (even if it wasn't your fault) you might end up learning more than you wanted to about our legal system!

Look on the bright side, you've got plenty of time to get it in good shape - there aren't many Matadors around like Mike's old one with only 10k on the clock from new.

I passed my test recently and obviously I can only drive up to 3.5 tonnes on a post 1997 license, is it true that if the vehicle is pre-1960 and over 3.5 tonnes I can still drive it? I heard somewhere that was the case. Insurance is a killer I'm afraid, for just me to be insured on my 1988 1 litre Nissan, a car worth £200, the cheapest quote I could find was £3368. I had quotes right up to £13500, and my excess is already £250!

The situation really is dire out there... :D

Henry

As the guys have pointed out if you get a vehicle registered as and "agricultural" vehicle you can only use it for that purpose. The only time it is allowed on the public highway it to travel from the home farm to a place where it is going to be doing agricultural work. So no good for shows etc.

There are similar conditions for vehicles registered as recovery and plant.

Lewis

You can understand why loads of youngsters and inexperienced people do not get insurance when they get quotes like that.

Mind you my first car (at 20) cost me just over a months wages to insure TPFT, but it was worth about 3 months wages.

Mike.

You couldn't be more right Mike, thankfully after a lot of hunting and calling different companies I managed to find a decent route in at almost reasonable money. It is unfortunate because I've been driving the Land Rover round the farm since I was 12, and driving dad's MVs even earlier than that. A degree of mechanical sympathy certainly helps too. I haven't had any mishaps so far (touch wood) but someone I know has managed to crash three times in the space of a year. Numpty or what? Ruining the situation out there for the rest of us.

I would love nothing more than to take the Landy to a couple of shows throughout the season and take it for the odd trip down the road, but this won't be feasible for another 7 years or so :cry:.

The whole boys worse than girls argument is a bit of a farce too, there's a steep hill near us and I kid you not a girl I know of attempted it having just passed her test, stalled, couldn't get the car to move again, started to cry, and had to flag down another passing driver to drive it up for her. How the hell have these people reached test level standard when they can't even drive up a hill?

Another one I heard about was a girl that always comes to a dead stop on slip roads to check for traffic. How do they make it through?

In my little Micra I'm constantly thinking 200m or more ahead, the brakes aren't particularly great and I know in the event of an accident it'll fold up like tin foil. The understeer round bends is absolutely diabolical so this inspires even more of a slow and steady attitude everywhere I go! :-D

Lewis

I second what Lewis says, how have some of these people passed there test and why are the police finding more and more people driving with no insurance i wonder!!!!!

I think the whole insurance situation has got ridiculous but what can i do, just sit back and wait!!!!!!!

Regards

Henry

I second what Lewis says, how have some of these people passed there test and why are the police finding more and more people driving with no insurance i wonder!!!!!

I think the whole insurance situation has got ridiculous but what can i do, just sit back and wait!!!!!!!

Regards

Henry

Remember the vast majority of us oldies have been in you're position when we started its not new! At least the cars that you drive now will be roadworthy I had a Lada as a first car. Built like a tank drove like a tank, pity the wiring was Italian in design. It once wrapped round the steering column whilst I was turning left! A quick tug to the right had it going in the right direction :shocked:

Edited by ferrettkitt