Licensing

You couldn't be more right Mike, thankfully after a lot of hunting and calling different companies I managed to find a decent route in at almost reasonable money. It is unfortunate because I've been driving the Land Rover round the farm since I was 12, and driving dad's MVs even earlier than that. A degree of mechanical sympathy certainly helps too. I haven't had any mishaps so far (touch wood) but someone I know has managed to crash three times in the space of a year. Numpty or what? Ruining the situation out there for the rest of us.

I would love nothing more than to take the Landy to a couple of shows throughout the season and take it for the odd trip down the road, but this won't be feasible for another 7 years or so :cry:.

The whole boys worse than girls argument is a bit of a farce too, there's a steep hill near us and I kid you not a girl I know of attempted it having just passed her test, stalled, couldn't get the car to move again, started to cry, and had to flag down another passing driver to drive it up for her. How the hell have these people reached test level standard when they can't even drive up a hill?

Another one I heard about was a girl that always comes to a dead stop on slip roads to check for traffic. How do they make it through?

In my little Micra I'm constantly thinking 200m or more ahead, the brakes aren't particularly great and I know in the event of an accident it'll fold up like tin foil. The understeer round bends is absolutely diabolical so this inspires even more of a slow and steady attitude everywhere I go! :-D

Lewis

Its a great pity that the insurance companys dont do an intelligence test along with their discriminatary attitude towards age.......... I feel sure that you would qualify for a very cheap quote. I hope that you manage to get sorted O.K. I am 74 years old, and it appears now that some people are going to want to discriminate against us old codgers, when I started driving it cost me about £7.00 per annum......... equivelent to one weeks wages in those days. My attitude to driving, even as a young man was very similar to your own, its all about having a responsible attitude, we are not the only people on the road, and its not a race track.