Stencils - best way to apply

pockers

Question

Hi

any one tell me the best way to apply stencils to my jeep?

Ive tried with card ones & sticky ones - aerosol paint & brushed on paint & always they seems to blur.

The paint seems to seep around the stencil

is there a knack to it?

24 answers to this question

Dab the paint on with a sponge..thats how we used to do it in the RCT! If you are using sticky back stencils then carefully remove them whilst the paint is still wet or else the words will come away with the stencil. Ive got access to the original brass types which in my opinion are the best.

Edited by extrogg
spelling

Dap the paint on with a sponge..thats how we used to do it in the RCT! If you are using sticky back stencils then carefully remove them whilst the paint is still wet or else the words will come away with the stencil. Ive got access to the original brass types which in my opinion are the best.

I Agree either way will work key thing is not to use to much paint in one go thin layers, if you use the sticky back one you should get very limited bleeding and a Sharpe edge. Will be happy to send you a sample FOC for you to try our stencils if you like im sure you will get the result you require

Tony

Work outside of stencil in towards middle.

Tony's right, that's the way to do it out side in using a fine grade sponge the type used for washing up is best. if you are using

brass or card stencils make sure they are taped securely in place with masking tape and remember to turn down a tab of tape at

each corner so

you can pull it off easily when you want to remove the stencil, the whole idea is that you don't want to move or disturb the mask

once the paint has been applied. Iv'e tried both spray and sponge and find the sponge works best for me, I use matt Humberol

modelling enamel. To apply the paint stir the tin well, then pour a little paint onto something that you can use as a palate on old

paint tin lid works well.

Cut your sponge to a useful size for the job in hand (remove the scouring backing if using a washing up sponge, it gets in the way) now dip the sponge lightly into the paint and dab it around the pallet a little to spread it out. give it a few minutes to start to

tack then as Tony says start at the outside and work in. The trick is a small amount of paint and a very light dabbing action try

to get an even coat in one go if you can but do not over load the sponge with paint, what I do is dab into the paint then a few

dabs on a piece of scrap to take the first paint off the surface of the sponge then onto the stencil.

Remove the stencil after the paint has tacked off but before it's fully dry. Hold the outer edge firmly pick up the turned down flap

of tape and pull up and away from the stencil in a steady movement ensuring that the mask does not move.

All sounds complicated but it's only practice, perfect your technique on some scrap and get used to what ever method you choose before tackling your truck.

Good luck

Pete

I'd recommend going into the local art shop and buy a proper stencil brush. Only a couple of quid and is a lot cleanear than a sponge. Also get some soft stick masking tape, doesen't take existing paint off. Frost's do it.

yep we used them stencil brushes years ago, they are good .........

Tony's right, that's the way to do it out side in using a fine grade sponge the type used for washing up is best. if you are using

brass or card stencils make sure they are taped securely in place with masking tape and remember to turn down a tab of tape at

each corner so

you can pull it off easily when you want to remove the stencil, the whole idea is that you don't want to move or disturb the mask

once the paint has been applied. Iv'e tried both spray and sponge and find the sponge works best for me, I use matt Humberol

modelling enamel. To apply the paint stir the tin well, then pour a little paint onto something that you can use as a palate on old

paint tin lid works well.

Cut your sponge to a useful size for the job in hand (remove the scouring backing if using a washing up sponge, it gets in the way) now dip the sponge lightly into the paint and dab it around the pallet a little to spread it out. give it a few minutes to start to

tack then as Tony says start at the outside and work in. The trick is a small amount of paint and a very light dabbing action try

to get an even coat in one go if you can but do not over load the sponge with paint, what I do is dab into the paint then a few

dabs on a piece of scrap to take the first paint off the surface of the sponge then onto the stencil.

Remove the stencil after the paint has tacked off but before it's fully dry. Hold the outer edge firmly pick up the turned down flap

of tape and pull up and away from the stencil in a steady movement ensuring that the mask does not move.

All sounds complicated but it's only practice, perfect your technique on some scrap and get used to what ever method you choose before tackling your truck.

Good luck

Pete

With an excellent detailed reply like that you can tell that Pete started out in the business making 1/35th Tamiya scale models - The only difference back then was that his sponge was smaller...................!

I shall try your technique later this week when I have the task of stenciling both Jimmy's now that they have emerged from the paint shop.

I use card that they put between sugar and the like on pallets. Cut out the stencil using a craft knife. I then apply double backed sticky tape around the edges to stop paint getting behind. Get a fine washing up sponge and tape the corners so you are left with a ball type arrangement. Apply paint onto sponge and dab onto scrap card to ensure not to much is applied and then get to work.

I have used the available sticky back stencils, not overly impressed, i always find that the first sheet peals off fine, then place it on the paint work, but try pealling off the top paper ! I always think that it is too sticky, just pulls the thin plastic from the paint work, especially when applying to a matt finish paint .

I have just about managed it in the past, and when eventually stuck down, i use a 4 inch throw away gloss roller with quick drying white primer/undercoat works fine eventually.

Jules

With an excellent detailed reply like that you can tell that Pete started out in the business making 1/35th Tamiya scale models - The only difference back then was that his sponge was smaller...................!

I shall try your technique later this week when I have the task of stenciling both Jimmy's now that they have emerged from the paint shop.

When I started making models young Mr Stevens there was no Tamiya only Airfix 1/76th in plastic bags from Newbury Woolies....ah I remember it well the Quad and limber set........... but your right it's basically the same technique but larger.

Good luck Clive with marking up your trucks it's a job I always find very satisfying if a bit nerve racking when it's on someone else's

vehicle drop me a PM if you need anything.

I take your point antarmike regarding over spray or bleed and agree that in service nearly anything goes, one of the hardest

commissions I ever had was Dodge carry-all that came in for a full respray and the customer asked for it to be marked up with

over spray it nearly broke my heart, but in the end it was his truck and he was paying the bill so over spray he got.....well it was only a little if I'm honest.

Pete

First you need a clean wooden sheet of ply (large enough to accomodate the stencil size) take 3" masking tape and lay two strips (overlapping) onto the board. Using your stencils (in my case interlocking brass) mark your letters / numbers onto the masking tape. Now cut out the letters / numbers with your Stanley knife. Remove the masking tape from the board, this process helps to reduce the stickiness when removing same from your vehicle. (second time of use) You can now apply as many coats of paint as you wish, using a normal paint brush. All of my vehicles are done this way, and I have no problems, bleeding etc. Allow the paint to dry before removing the masking tape. :goodidea:

Jeep brake repairs 006.jpg

As usual im very impressed with the response ive recieved to a post on hmvf

guys thanks for all the top tips i will give them all a try & see what works best for me

Once again many thanks

:-D

Very impressed Ray, how many times can you reuse the same mask ?

Pete

I have never tried to re-use them, they are so easy and cheap to produce, I suppose that if they remain sticky and dont distort you could re-use them.

Regards.

Ray.

Very impressed Ray, how many times can you reuse the same mask ?

Pete

I forgot to mention that the Star is put on using a profile to draw the Star in pencil, then use 1" masking tape following the pencil lines, again applying paint in the normal way using a paint brush. I find that in this way I can apply plenty of paint in a couple of coats.... its all so easy, and the results you can see for yourself.

Regards.

Ray. :kissoncheek: