What would you do?

woa2

We once bought a Skoda 120 from a show, paid cash and drove it home. Only when I got nearly home, I noticed that the tax disc was missing, I thought it had blown out of the car.

When we got home, dad phoned the seller, and he said that it wasnt taxed, the disc in the window at the show was off another car, so he could take it to the show!!

Mark

I think the show organisers have a responsibility to ensure that everybody showing a vehicle (of whatever type) at their show is taxed and insured, especially if they are charging the show entrants for the privilage of showing their vehicle.

As for bubbling someone, your're damned right I would. I pay a fortune for all my vehicles to be insured, most of the premium is paid into the fund that covers the costs of those who don't insure theirs.

Driving without insurance, tax etc is fraud and should be treated as such. If the local Plod can spare an officer to check these things best of luck to them, hope they get a result.

I think show organisers probably have enough to do without checking the whether a vehicle is taxed or not. What threat is an untaxed vehicle? Most classic cars, and a large but declining proportion of military vehicles are Historic Vehicles and don't pay for their tax disc. Unless the have access to the MID database, the organisers are entirely dependent on the honesty of entrants declaring and signing that they are insured. What more can they do?

Should they have VOSA inspectors checking all the vehicles for roadworthiness, and of course Customs and Excise dipping everyones fuel tanks for red diesel too? Are all those people wandering around as Majors, Colonels etc entitled to wear their rank. Swat teams running around impersonating Police officers etc, etc, etc.

I think I read somewhere that about 7% of the insurance premium goes to cover the costs of uninsured drivers. Because my livelyhood depends almost entirely on vehicles, I do my utmost to comply with the rules, but if I saw an untaxed vehicle at a show would I care? No.

Jules

I have watched this thread with interest and been waiting and waiting but no one has said it.

So, being in danger of hijacking a thread here goes.

Tax discs . .. Hmmm I think you are in danger of being a rivett counter.

I am far more concerned with those who still have not got the message " Thou shall not drink and drive"

I have a big issue with that and have put people on notice at shows that if they get into their vehicle I will call the cops, period.

8 hours bottle to throttle is basic rule, longer for others.

R

Tax discs for most of our old trucks are free, not having one is a bit daft but it can happen, i have a one or two trucks and things and i am slowly adjusting them all to be taxed and insured on the same day, then I WONT FORGET ANY...IT IS EASILY DONE...

Some people do push the limits, and to be fair I would think that the problems of anyone driving without insurance are large, and ill advisable, but people do. The worst situation is where youngsters have no insurance becuase they have been priced out of the market...they have little choice but to drive without insurance, this puts them ion trouble with the law and forever destroys their lives...insurance companies have a major role in this...

its not the only problem but it is getting harder and harder for youngsters to get insurance, this is unfair...

oldies you should all be ashamed of driving whilst un-insured...be aware that a civil case taken against you will make you personally liable for the losses...so you are taking a massive risk...you could lose everything...

reporting someone, am afraid in my eyes is not your responsibility...you neither have the facts nor the information, however telling the owner may be good news as he may have forgotten...if you see one of my trucks without tax, tell me, because you can be sure I would be glad to be told...

The third party aspect of an insurance policy would not be invalidated by a lack of current road fund licence. I can imagine that there are owners who have a block policy for multiple vehicles but who don't watch the tax disc as carefully as they should.

I don't condone it but I wouldn't want the old vehicle world to become the equivalent of East Germany under the Stasi.

It seems like the thin end of the wedge to me, perhaps being reported by a jealous concours entrant for using a non-E-marked LED lamp or wearing a motorcycle crash helmet that doesn't have a BS kite mark (such as the DR helmet).

As far as I'm concerned, it's the job of the authorities to check vehicles when they're on the public highway (and they have enough automatic recognition cameras to do that).

Totally my thoughts....

My original thought was :-

No Road Tax could mean No MoT which could mean an unsafe vehicle.

I don't want to get anybody into trouble, I just don't want an unsafe vehicle on the roads. Road Tax is just money, I am more concerned about a potential accident and the aftermath for us all in the form of Government restrictions.

My original thought was :-

No Road Tax could mean No MoT which could mean an unsafe vehicle.

I don't want to get anybody into trouble, I just don't want an unsafe vehicle on the roads. Road Tax is just money, I am more concerned about a potential accident and the aftermath for us all in the form of Government restrictions.

No M.O.T. is surely the norm for far more vehicles as a percentage at MV shows than any other place. Any HGV built before 1960 is exempt an M.o.T. test, along with recovery vehicles, many other "special" vehicles, and all tracked vehicles. A valid tax disc might show that they are insured for road use, but not for show conditions! Inspecting everyones M.o.T test certificates would only be of any help if everyone had them done within a couple of days of the show. An M.o.T. certificate only shows that at the time a qualified civil servant checked over your vehicle, it met the relatively limited criteria to be deemed roadworthy. If a bulb blows on the way home it is no longer roadworthy!

The vast majority of accidents of any kind, and including vehicles are down to human error (or stupidity?), and not mechanical failure or faults.

Jules

Unbelievable.

Mind your own business is my first responce to a thread like this, what does it have to do with you? If you're really that concerned, speak to the vehicle owner, I'm sure the Police have better things to be doing than visiting rallies under the say so of busybodies like yourself.

Brilliant, i can see you take after your dad. :D

It started off with one but apparently there's a handful of pensioners who cruise the streets of Aldershot taking note of any vehicles not displaying a current tax disc and reporting them to DVLA. I guess they'll stop sooner or later.

Personally my jeep won't be on the road without tax, insurance and mot, however I must admit I don't really care too much what other people do. I wouldn't be offended if anyone came up at a show and questioned whether it was road legal or not, I'd rather get an embarassing reminder from another hmv owner than the rozzers. :cool2: (not sure on the relevance of that smiley but I like it...)

. I wouldn't be offended if anyone came up at a show and questioned whether it was road legal or not, I'd rather get an embarassing reminder from another hmv owner than the rozzers. :cool2: (not sure on the relevance of that smiley but I like it...)

I agree completely with this.

I'd rather being saying "Yes, it's taxed and insured etc" a dozen times instead of answering to the court once.

Of course given the congested roads that we have to navigate it is essential that vehicles should always be in a roadworthy condition, they should be taxed,tested and insured. The latter should indicate that the vehicle his being maintained in a satisfactory condition. I am not sure that it would be wise to be a self appointed watchdog for the authorities, that smacks a little of 1930s Germany, and we all know what that led to. However I do agree with several of the comments suggesting that we should approach the owner and point out the "error", if the owner is then seen to ignore the friendly approach, then perhaps it should be dealt with in a more appropriate manner befitting the owners indifference.

There really is no such thing as an accident, the word "accident" is a euphamism for neglect. I wish everyone good health, and I hope that you are enjoying your rallying. :kissoncheek:

Any vehicle pre-1960 or ex an MOT due to being tracked,has to be up to MOT standards (so rather than the gov doing a check via a currant MOT its down to you to be roadworthy (otherwise things like insurance cover goes south!).

Any vehicle pre-1960 or ex an MOT due to being tracked,has to be up to MOT standards (so rather than the gov doing a check via a currant MOT its down to you to be roadworthy (otherwise things like insurance cover goes south!).

Makes no difference if a vehicle is MOT exempt or not, or even what the vehicle is.

If used on a public highway a vehicle should be maintained in a safe roadworthy condition at all times.

Sadly most people seem to think this only applies on the day of the MOT test.

Mike