FV432 Driver entry to vehicle / driver steps

robin craig

Gents,

As we get to know and use our FV436 we have identified that for the driver to get in and out of the vehicle there is a sad lacking of a safe route up the front of the vehicle. At least that is our view point.

In common with our basic policy for the collection of "no new holes, nothing welded on" we are considering making a simple set of steps up the front of the vehicle with a hand hold. It will use the front right towing point and a pre-tapped block on the front armour as good solid mounting points and will likely be fitted in such a way that no hand tools are needed to remove it, ie quick release pins etc or large clamping nuts with handles attached.

We have some firm ideas of what we want to make and considering we have some fabrication talent in house we think we can make something workable and not detrimental to the operation of the vehicle or to how the vehicle is displayed when off site.

Any input from other users?

Robin

Hi,

We have been using a set of aluminium ladders on the 434 that we believe were for the demountable workshops/boxes.

It just fits on the two handles of the front engine/steering hatch at the front, and rests on the bolts for that hatch, it even has a hand rail that folds down too, i've seen them for sale at Withams too.

Hope that helps

Harley

Dear Gents,

It has been a stressful week and I have not replied owing to that.

Thank you to all those who have replied.

The 434 stirrup type step looks ok but for those users, like us, who want more above that the problem has not been solved.

We are going to look at this more closely and will report back to you guys on what we propose or do.

Thanks for the input.

R

Barry,

that is exactly what we will not do as it violates our policy of "no new holes, nothing welded on".

How awful, dare I suggest that this is a thrasher at a ride and drive site?

R

It is a site used for driving days yes.

However I was present when it was brought and the steps were on it then.

Possibly a driver training vehicle - the steps being a local REME "add-on" to facilitate a quick change over of students??

Certainly not one from REME Bordon! I can't imagine it was an in service mod, as such "additions" are not encouraged. Our REME Bedford MJ had a cage fitted on the cab roof for years to carry winch kit, but eventually on a winch test someone spotted it and it had to be removed along with the amber beacons. Doh!

At the end of the day if you can't climb into the 432 without extra steps fitted, are you fit enough to drive one? Only kidding, they're not really built with ergonomics in mind!

Jules

What about using the naval type of ladder that hooks over something already existing on the hull and which can either be be folded up or removed and stowed inside behind the commander???

That sounds very similar to the arrangement harleybaird describes - I'd love to see a picture.

Andy

Certainly not one from REME Bordon! I can't imagine it was an in service mod, as such "additions" are not encouraged.

Should have told that to the 15/19H. We did whatever we could to our vehicles to improve crew comfort etc, usually carried out by the LAD. Only rule was that anything that was in direct violation of any order, we made it reversible so that it was removed before PRE.

As long as welding etc on CVR(T)s was carried out by appropriately-trained REME, anything went.

About the only thing I can remember being permanent was the XPM cage mounts on Ferret rear engine decks. We had XPM cages on Sultans, but they were designed to attach using existing holes.

So Alien, you agree with our policy then for the most part then!

While I could competantly weld said items I wont as it desecrates the vehicle

R

Interesting question. I fully approve of your desire not to desecrate the vehicle. However, if I'd served on 432s and I'd been offered a set of non-slip sets up the glacis plate, I'd have jumped (if you'll pardon the pun).

This is man who in the prime of his life liberated a six foot ladder to sit in the basket of his four foot nine inch high Mark 1 Ferret to save climbing up.

This is man who in the prime of his life liberated a six foot ladder to sit in the basket of his four foot nine inch high Mark 1 Ferret to save climbing up.

you were just being sensible and now I can pinch that idea for my ferret ! (Any recommendations on the ladder btw?)

you were just being sensible and now I can pinch that idea for my ferret ! (Any recommendations on the ladder btw?)

No. My driver and I found it "discarded" in a German farmyard. It might noy even have been six feet long: didn't need to be. Any offcut of a dead stepladder would be more than adequate.

Hi with my fv430s i just get into the vehicle using the back door and hop into the drivers seat .

I never climb up the front it ruins your boots and eventually your knees and on concours vehicles paintwork.

if i sound like a wooss i do apologise but it works so thats what i do .

• 2 weeks later...

My FV438 has steps up the rhs, alongside the commanders hatch: the bottom one is part of the mudguards on a Mk 2/1 so I have to use the track itself now the mudguards have gone (have a new set but not fitted them yet!) so I climb: wheel top, track, step on side of hull, top of hull, using the shovel handle bracket as a hand hold.. Easy and I thought all 430 series had them as standard ?(Mk 2 have the bottom step on the air filter casing)