Help - Malware!

Great War truck

Tony's PC has picked up a piece of malware which mucks around with the search engine and diverts you to a sellers website. If for example you type into google "WW1 Dennis army lorry", you would get the response "Buy your WW1 Dennis army lorry from these approved suppliers" and lots of links. I did check, but sadly none of them have any for sale.

So the question is, what is the best way to get rid of the Malware? he has McAfee but that did no good at all. Anybody else encountered this kind of problem?

Thanks

Tim

Google Chrome by any chance? Suspect it might be built in as a 'commercial' link? Doesn't always happen, and if it does - when you click 'back' and then click on link again it does go direct to the site you were trying to get to?

Google Chrome by any chance? Suspect it might be built in as a 'commercial' link? Doesn't always happen, and if it does - when you click 'back' and then click on link again it does go direct to the site you were trying to get to?

I have google chrome it doesn't do that.

Tony's PC has picked up a piece of malware which mucks around with the search engine and diverts you to a sellers website. If for example you type into google "WW1 Dennis army lorry", you would get the response "Buy your WW1 Dennis army lorry from these approved suppliers" and lots of links. I did check, but sadly none of them have any for sale.

So the question is, what is the best way to get rid of the Malware? he has McAfee but that did no good at all. Anybody else encountered this kind of problem?

Thanks

Tim

On my previous PC it picked up something similar which couldn't be gotten rid of I know I tried. I think my answer was to change my browser from internet explorer to Firefox.

I have had them and a IT savy person can get rid of some easy. However the one that seems to be very malicious is called "Antispywaredoctor" - it is in fact a rogue antispyware application (rogueware)..

Apparently the free version of Malwarebytes can sort out many.

Antispywaredoctor wrecks your machine from a very early stage by what are known "redirects" , every keystroke you make it - it informs you and suggests your computer needs its treatment. Normally malware is less vicious. . It is a international crime - demanding money with menaces. In my case - to get control of my computer again - I enrolled for Spyhunter4 (from USA) , it costs £33 every 6 months , the cost may not be very clear and they add VAT although they are US based ?

. Of course Antispywaredoctor wants you to sign up for their treatment (apparently Russian ) , I don't know how much it costs - but of course they get your card details.

I Gooooogled up on "Redirects" , and they can be very common , apparently Google were challenged , they can stop it BUT they stated they were not prepared to. It is all about sales commission - if you were to buy goods via. a re-direct. What it seems to boil down with - these Search Engines you use - there is no such thing as a free lunch..

Unfortunately it's impossible to give advice on this sort of thing remotely other than trying various anti-malware packages, because it depends entirely on what you've picked up. You need to find an IT-literate person to look at it for you, I'm afraid. In the worst cases it's simpler to wipe the disk and re-install Windoze.

Andy

There's plenty of free anti malware prog's here:

http://www.filehippo.com/software/antimalware/

I use these:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_asquared/

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

http://www.filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/

They each pick up on different stuff, so it's worth running all three prog's.

Hope this helps.

Most of these often end up in the start menu. So every time you switch on they start. Switching the compiter off and forcing windows into a 'Safe Mode' start allows you to check the start menu and remove them. Ad Aware is an effective free proggrame to remove them them and Javacool Spyware Blaster to block them.

Well mine is sometimes directing me to 'Ask Jeeves' amongst other similar sites - seems odd that malware would bother to seek to benefit an organisation like Jeeves?

As I said, click back, then onto the site again it goes through ok.