St Georges Day

G506

I would have celebrated it but,I wasnt sure if we are still allowed to in the UK.

With all the 'Political Correctness' & Rabid Rantings from 'Minority Groups' about how it Might offend them.

I was most hesitant to fly the Cross of St.George flag as it has been reported in one of the Daily Newspapers in the Past. As A Symbol of The BNP! :(

I simply contented myself with the Knowlege that at least we live in a 'Free Country'.

(As long as we dont do anything Traditional & Upset any of the 'Minority Groups'!) :angel:

Mike. :D

I rember a pub was turned down once when it applied for an extended license as St George's day was not special enough.

St Patrick's day not a problem as we cannot upset the Irish. (Etnic minority!)

St George's day should be celebrated.

After all he is our patron saint and was the only person with the courage to go out and kill his mother-in-law.

Mike

Agree with all the above posts - why should we not be allowed to fly the flag of St George :-(

Trouble is our flag has been hijacked by elements of the UK most of us would not want to be ascociated with - perhaps thats the revolution we should start - Sieze the St Georges flag back for the masses .

On a good note my local town was very much celabrateing St Georges day yesterday:D

I can't see where Political Correctness comes into this. St George is a multi national, multi cultural saint remembered around the world, including: Aragon, Catalonia, Ethiopia, Georgia, Greece, India, Iraq, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, Serbia and Russia, as well as the cities of Genoa, Amersfoort, Beirut, Fakiha, Bteghrine, Cáceres, Ferrara, Freiburg, Kumanovo, Ljubljana, Pomorie, Preston, Qormi, Rio de Janeiro, Lod, Barcelona, Moscow, Tamworth and the Maltese island of Gozo, as well as a wide range of professions, organizations and disease sufferers.

With so many nations claiming him as their own, can't see why we can't also......Certainly I don't see how his flag can be connected to The BNP!

You really would have to live in a fanciful world to think that St George was uniquely British or had anything to do with England in particular!

Apart from the Christian tradition ,Muslim literature also depicts George as a martyr.

Personally speaking I can see no point in celebrating a dead Roman soldier who reputedly carried out infeasible mythical deeds.

Edited by antarmike

I would have celebrated it but,I wasnt sure if we are still allowed to in the UK.

With all the 'Political Correctness' & Rabid Rantings from 'Minority Groups' about how it Might offend them.

I was most hesitant to fly the Cross of St.George flag as it has been reported in one of the Daily Newspapers in the Past. As A Symbol of The BNP! :(

I simply contented myself with the Knowlege that at least we live in a 'Free Country'.

(As long as we dont do anything Traditional & Upset any of the 'Minority Groups'!) :angel:

Mike. :D

Doesn t usually stop you Micheal!!!

I can't see where Political Correctness comes into this. St George is a multi national, multi cultural saint remembered around the world, including: Aragon, Catalonia, Ethiopia, Georgia, Greece, India, Iraq, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, Serbia and Russia, as well as the cities of Genoa, Amersfoort, Beirut, Fakiha, Bteghrine, Cáceres, Ferrara, Freiburg, Kumanovo, Ljubljana, Pomorie, Preston, Qormi, Rio de Janeiro, Lod, Barcelona, Moscow, Tamworth and the Maltese island of Gozo, as well as a wide range of professions, organizations and disease sufferers.

With so many nations claiming him as their own, can't see why we can't also......Certainly I don't see how his flag can be connected to The BNP!

You really would have to live in a fanciful world to think that St George was uniquely British or had anything to do with England in particular!

Apart from the Christian tradition ,Muslim literature also depicts George as a martyr.

Personally speaking I can see no point in celebrating a dead Roman soldier who reputedly carried out infeasible mythical deeds.

The points you quote are (as far as I know) all correct; but to me your post misses the point.

I'm proud to be English (and British). As a country we need a figurehead, but ultimately thats all it is is - a figurehead.

St George happens to be that figurehead.

So every year I will raise my glass partly to St George, but more than that, to England.

I respect your viewpoint Mike, but I will never agree with it.

The points you quote are (as far as I know) all correct; but to me your post misses the point.

I'm proud to be English (and British). As a country we need a figurehead, but ultimately thats all it is is - a figurehead.

So every year I will raise my glass partly to St George, but more than that, to England.

As a highly celebrated saint in both the Western and Eastern Christian churches, a large number of Patronages of Saint George exist throughout the world.

St. George is the patron saint of England (but not England alone); his cross forms the national flag of England, and features within the Union Jack of the United Kingdom. Traces of the cult of Saint George in England pre-date the Norman Conquest in the eleventh century; by the fourteenth century the saint had been declared both the patron saint and the protector of the royal family.

St George was adopted by the then all powerful Roman Catholic church in Britain.

But St George never came within Hundreds of miles of our country.

St George is a Christian Saint, to a secular person such as myself, I still remain unconvinced that St George has anything to do with England or Britain.

He was executed because he would conform the the ruling that Christinity was not acceptable for a Roman Soldier, therefore he would not renounce his Christian faith and offer sacrifices to the Roman gods.

He was adopted as a Patron or national saint because he was a martyr.

Without breaking the rules of the Forum, it is only stating fact to say that the majority of the polulation of England is now largely not actively or overtly Christian. There is also a section of British culture that feels we would be better of as a Republic.

St George as a Christian Saint and Protector of the Royal Family is of very little relevance to most people. You would have to be pretty naive to believe this dead Roman Soldier can do anything to protect the Royals. (In the 21st Century most people feel the Police and the Armed Forces do this far more effectively than a Corpse)

The fact that the St Georges Cross derives from the White Tabards of the Crusaders,and was flown from British ships operating in the Med. during the crusades, means it could cause offence amongst those races and Religions that suffered in the Crusades.

The fact that the Crusaders who wore the Tabard came from across the whole Christian Europe seems to have escaped notice of the St George is "English" brigade , a good number of these Crusader being from France. Historically St Georges cross in Red on a white background had no uniqueness to Britain or England.

At the beginning of the Crusades, a red cross on white was already associated with England because this was St George's cross, the emblem associated with England's patron saint. Although the Pope decided English crusaders would be distinguished by wearing a white cross on red, and French crusaders a red cross on white (Italian knights were allocated a yellow cross on a white background), English knights soon decided to claim "their" cross of red on white, like the French. In January 1188, in a meeting between Henry II of England and Philip II of France, the two rivals agreed to exchange flags (France later changed its new white cross on red for a white cross on a dark blue flag). Some French knights carried on using the red cross however, and as English knights wore this pattern as well, the red cross on white became the typical crusader symbol regardless of nationality

May I suggest that since I am not a Roman Catholic, nor any other form of Christian, and feel like others that looking at the posssibility of becoming a rebulic is overdue, and feel deep regret for what Christian Europe did during the Crusades, that neither St George nor his flag ring my bells.

Edited by antarmike

The one thing that they can NEVER take from me on St.Georges day is:

Roast Beef & Tatties! Lashings of Horseradish too! :-D

In Bulgaria, they also celebrate St Georges day but Roast Lamb is the tradition there!

(and there, St Georges day is the 6th of May, where he is their Patron Saint for Shepherds)

Edited by antarmike

I just wish to point out that St George's flag was not the Flag of England but rather historically is the flag of the Kingdom of England.

The Kingdom of England was, from 927 to 1707, a sovereign state to the northwest of continental Europe. At its height, the Kingdom of England spanned the southern two-thirds of the island of Great Britain (including both modern-day England and Wales) and several smaller outlying islands; what today comprises the legal jurisdiction of England and Wales.

So for those who feel proud to be English and see the St Georges flag as England's Flag, remember until 1959 it was Wales' Flag also so within the Union Flag, The red Cross on a white background was both the Flag for England and also the Flag for Wales.......

So if you think the Red Cross represents you as the English nation, remember it has been representative of the Welsh Nation also....

Edited by antarmike