Workshop Tips

robin craig

Tony B

:??? Mine don't, and the flat supply box was replaced last year.

Really did you have the cowboys in? I assume this is a rather short sighted piece of C.I. legislation. For those who live in U.K. all circuits that supply sockets supplying currents up to 20Amp (13Amp Bs1363, 16amp to Bs En 60309-2) in installations inside properties and up to 32Amp outdoors must be protected by a 30mA RCD as additional protection where the circuits are used by ordinary persons (those none electrically competant), ref. Bs 7671 2008 (17th ) section 411.3.3 Additional any circuits where cables are buried in the structure less than 50mm from the surface for example buried in the walls, floors & ceilings must be earth/armoured or be protected by an RCD, ref. section 522.6.7 & 8.

The "good" news for those who had installations fitted before 1-7-2008 only the supply of current for outdoor use requires a 30mA RCD -irrespective of where the supply socket is located. Of course the installation is less safe:-(.

ferrettkitt

Newer fuse boxes have RCDs incorporated into the switch so if you test them as you should do it knocks the whole plug circuit off in the house.

The type of Installation you describe dates back to 1981 (Bs7671 IEE Regs. 15th Edition) ideally an installation should have more than one RCD so a earth fault on one circuit will not disconnect the whole property, this covered by section 314 of the Regs and section 314 is a requirement for installations fitted after 1-7-2008.

Steve

Edited by steveo578
spelling

Really did you have the cowboys in? I assume this is a rather short sighted piece of C.I. legislation. For those who live in U.K. all circuits that supply sockets supplying currents up to 20Amp (13Amp Bs1363, 16amp to Bs En 60309-2) in installations inside properties and up to 32Amp outdoors must be protected by a 30mA RCD as additional protection where the circuits are used by ordinary persons (those none electrically competant), ref. Bs 7671 2008 (17th ) section 411.3.3 Additional any circuits where cables are buried in the structure less than 50mm from the surface for example buried in the walls, floors & ceilings must be earth/armoured or be protected by an RCD, ref. section 522.6.7 & 8.

The "good" news for those who had installations fitted before 1-7-2008 only the supply of current for outdoor use requires a 30mA RCD -irrespective of where the supply socket is located. Of course the installation is less safe:-(.

The type of Installation you describe dates back to 1981 (Bs7671 IEE Regs. 15th Edition) ideally an installation should have more than one RCD so a earth fault on one circuit will not disconnect the whole property, this covered by section 314 of the Regs and section 314 is a requirement for installations fitted after 1-7-2008.

Steve

Each circuit has an RCD type fuse in it Lights, cooker, smoke alarms, plugs and I think the shower as well. Using a separate / stand alone RCD on the plug circuit trips the switch/fuse when its tested. My Mother had the old fuse wire type fuses replaced with the RCD type ten plus years ago.

Well worth having it done in my opinion and this comes from someone who has had shock off someone else's shoddy work. My Dad used to regularly come across shoddy electrical work whilst he was a heating engineer and I know hes had a few shocks from unsecured wires!

eddy8men

if you're stripping something down lay out the parts on the bench in a line in the order they came off,

Variation on a theme;-

when disassembling something like a axle or such like put nuts-washers-components on to a piece of wire fixed at one end, then they can go back in the right order and correct way round.

If you work at the bench for a long time, get some rubber floor mats, it will help ease the load on your feet and up through your back.

If your doing a job and it's starting to annoy you, stop it, go have a brew or do a different job, then come back to it, once you have calmed down and take another look at it,

It's better to take longer and do it correct than to get wound up and end up breaking something causing you more work/expense.

Don't be afraid to ask! If you don't know, someone will. :D